Sunday 24 December 2023

It was twenty years ago today...

Hi, Everybody!

Guess what?

It was twenty years ago TODAY!

"Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play?"

No Imaginary AMOC Reader who lives rent free in my head, Sgt. Pepper's came out in 1967, so twenty years before that is 1947, and Math isn't my strong suit, but 2023 minus 1947 ain't in the twenties...

THIS happened:
I asked Gerhard about it:
So, I just celebrated the 12th anniversary of AMOC, and the 6th anniversary of my taking over, but I realized that next month is the 20th anniversary of you and Dave finishing Cerebus (I believe yours's is around Christmas.) With that in mind, I thought I'd make a big deal out of it. My question is what is your favorite page (or series of pages) from issue #300? (Bonus points for why?)
And Ger said: 
I guess my favourite (or least hated) part of #300 is the 'falling out of bed' sequence.
This panel in particular:
Why?
I like the balance of black/white/grey
and it has this real 'frozen moment' quality.


Least favourite/most hated part was the fifty-seven versions we went through of the cover trying to get the rays of light to look right.
Never really nailed it. Just ran out of time.
And patience.


As always, Thank You Gerhard!

And Boys and Girls, tonight is the night!

I hope you've been good. Otherwise The Big Guy won't be heading your way, OR bringing the Missus:



Click for bigger on all of those...

You can show support to "Santa" by donating here.

Rigamarole:
New AV Book:
Cerebus #1 Facsimile Edition and Cerebus #1 Facsimile Edition Signed
___________________________
The AMOC TeePublic Shoppe: up to 35% off:

December 25-29.
___________________________
Heritage has a few Dave Sim/Cerebus items. Including a thing I didn't realize Dave didn't have..
__________________________
The Strange Death of Alex Raymond Go Fund Me.
___________________________
The Help Out Bill Messner-Loebs Go Fund Me, or buy Rodney Schroeter's book with proceeds going to Bill.
___________________________
Larry Shell could use a hand. (I still haven't heard about where/when Dave's donation is getting sold.)
___________________________
EVERYTHING on Cerebus Overload is 35% off until the end of the year. The. End. Of. The. Year. Use code "SANTA" at checkout.
___________________________
The Last Day Without nothing.
   "      "     "        "  Dave's signature.
   "      "     "        "  an Old Cerebus Remarque
   "      "     "     Auction catalog for the Panoramic Remarques
___________________________
Oliver's Cerebus movie: The Absurd, Surreal, Metaphysical, and Fractured Destiny of Cerebus the Aardvark it's currently available on "Plex", "Xumo", "Vimeo On Demand", "Tubi". If you're in Brazil..."Mometu", "Nuclear Home Video". 
___________________________
Next Time: Christmas! So, Jesus & Friends!

5 comments:

Michael Grabowski said...

I'm no artist, nor do I know much of anything about what makes a comics page look good or not. So I feel like I'm a dummy because I can't spot whatever it is Gerhard doesn't like about his Cerebus pages. I should go back and find that TCJ interview he did with Sean. I'm reading The Last Day now and the remastered version just makes me stare with amazement, get lost in the lines and hatching, the floor, all of it. And the Sanctvarie in the volume before that. Maybe Sean or someone can comment here and tell us what's wrong with his pages so I don't feel so stupid about admiring his work on them.

Michael Grabowski said...

Following the links led to me uncovering a decades-old Cerebus secret. And now I understand why it was a secret. Wow.

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

Can you enlighten us, Michael G., as to what secret you uncovered and why you think it remained a secret?

Also, to our Blogmeister "Manly" Matt Down: After Gerhard says, "This panel in particular:" I see the text "Inline image". All the other images show up just fine, but not this one. I've tried refreshing the page; I've tried a different browser; I've tried a different computer. Can you make sure the image posting or hosting is correct, please? I'd like to know which panel Gerhard is singling out!

-- Damian

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

(My stupid fingers can't spell! "Dow", not "Down", as we all well know. And Matt, as the New Year is a traditional time for resolutions, would you please consider being a bit nicer to poor Ron Essler? She's had a hard life.)

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Michael: if the secret is what I think you think you found: shaddup!

If not, feel free to blab to everybody...

Damian: I'll get "roundtuit"...

Manly