Thursday 7 December 2023

Dave's Response to a Letter?

MARGARET LISS:

A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

We have only seen pages from Dave Sim’s 26th notebook seven times, less than once per year since I’ve been doing this column. This notebook only had 58 pages scanned and 37 blank pages out of the 100 pages marked on the cover. The rest of the pages were missing. That and many of the pages are walls of text are probably why we haven’t seen too much from it. The notebook covers Cerebus #224 through 230. The last time we saw pages from it was in May of 2022 in Dave Talking with Cerebus from Cerebus #229. 

https://momentofcerebus.blogspot.com/2022/05/dave-talking-with-cerebus-from-cerebus.html

So I figured I showed you some of those pages which are as I like to call them ‘walls of text’. Though this is a bit different than what is in the rest of the notebook. This appears to be a response to a letter Dave received, and Dave’s response starts on the last page of the notebook and goes backwards:

Notebook #26, page 94

Notebook #26, page 93

Notebook #26, page 92

Notebook #26, page 91

And then just the top bit from page 90:

Notebook #26, page 90

Does anyone know if this was published in Aardvark Comment as I don’t think it became a Note from the President?

As for the content of Dave's response, I leave that to you to read and feel / think about.


No comments: