Thursday, 8 October 2026

Notebook 21: The Last of the Walls of Text

MARGARET LISS:

A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

We’re continuing our look at Dave Sim’s 21st notebook used during the creation of Cerebus #164 to 187. We’ll be looking at this notebook, which there were 260 out of 300 pages scanned, until we’ve seen every single page of it. Well, the pages scanned. If you want to see all of the notebook #21 posts to date, just use the Notebook 21 tag. 

~*~~~*~

Another quick one this week dear AMoC readers. Yes, a Bruins game last night. I know, I know, I could’ve done this over the weekend, I probably should have, but I do have a life outside of this blog. Kind of. Wait until bossman catches a look at my new t-shirt. Spiffy. Stylish. Wearing it to work tomorrow. If you spot me, say hello. Or not. I’m not your boss.

Enough bullshit, lets get to business. Only six pages left in notebook 21 to post. And only three of those are walls of text. So that is what we have today – three pages of text. Next week’s post will more than make up for it. 

So lets get to it, as I’m tired and have a bit of a headache. 

Notebook #21, page 253

Notebook #21, page 254

Notebook #21, page 255

Yup, you read all of that right – more Viktor Davis text. 

After next week’s final three pages, I’m thinking we look at notebook #29, which covers Cerebus #240 to 250. Not because it covers Cerebus #244, my favorite issue, but because it has some of the most finished art in it. Like full on finished pages – at least finished with Dave’s pencils and inks, no Gerhard and no lettering. But no more walls of text.

Hopefully. 

If you want a preview of next week, take a look at pages #256 & 257 of notebook #21 in this post from October of 2016: Down In A Minute, Sweetheart.

No comments: