Thursday 26 May 2016

Astronautalis: "Fuck God-Damn Comic-Book Movies"


ASTRONAUTALIS:
(from the Baeble Music video interview, 25 May 2016 -- starting at 3.30 minutes)
Captain America! Fuck god-damn comic-book movies. I'm gonna be on the fucking record: I am not a Marvel groupie. That shit is bullshit and it's old news to me. Yeah, there was a point in time when I was like, yeah THE AVENGERS, let's fucking do it G. And I love movies with explosions. I'm not on some snob shit. CRANK I and CRANK II are on my top 5 bitch. But at the end of the fucking day I'm sick of the same repeat pattern. I don't want no fucking saucy god damn guy caped in Captain. Fuck that. I'm over it. I'm done. I'm calling it quits. I'm putting a fucking kibosh on every god-damn thing after this. No DC. No Marvel. No PREACHER. None of this. I don't want to see CEREBUS fucking graphic novels on big screen bitch. You've gotta fucking think of your own idea. Quit reinventing the damn wheel. I'm sick and tried of this shit. And that's exactly how I feel. And a bunch of nerds are gonna be in a god-damn Twitter fucking storm, like a bunch of Democrats get when fucking Donald Trump is on. And ya'll finger tips will be hitting all damn day long, and in the mean time I be down in Florida with fingers up!

ASTRONAUTALIS:
(via Twitter, 26 May 2016)
[CEREBUS...] MOST IMPORTANT COMIC BOOK OF ALL TIME.

11 comments:

Michael said...

I'm sorry, but the language is totally unnecessary.

Jon M said...

Stupid rant, I gotta say.

Unknown said...

Considering how far outside the mainstream the comic-book field is, I'm surprised that the anti-super hero/anti-comics movie "movement" isn't getting more traction.

iestyn said...

Good music though - really like his stuff

Anthony said...

Yay, Astronautalis is a geek!

Too bad I'm not digging his newest album too much. :|

J said...

That's interesting, I'm a big fan of This is our Science and Pomegranate. Had no idea he was into comics.

al roney said...

Ha! Language? What, you guys never went to high school? Sheesh.

That said, movies these days are like a dream come true.

You can actually put a super-hero comic on the screen!!! And it looks REAL!

In my day it was Lou Ferrigno painted green, some no-name actor on a rope as Spider-man, and don't even get me started about Reb Brown's Captain America.

I watched 'em, but even as a teen-ager, I knew they all sucked...hard. Don't even get me going on the BAM, BIF, POW! Batman (re-runs). Talk about a sure fire way to guarantee that comics in the US of A will NEVER be taken seriously. And they weren't.

Now, those same kids/geeks (us) are running the show, and throwing (and making) the dough on the same stuff that for mine (and Dave's) generation were a, shall we say, "unique" and largely uncool sub-culture.

That said, I'm a long way past 14 now, and it's all a bit 'meh'...

...I'll watch 'em, but I can't stop thinking how great they'd be if I were just 14-years-old again. I can't be, but at least I can enjoy 'em through the eyes of my 16-year-old son and 11-year-old daughter (minus Deadpool of course).

It actually makes me a bit melancholy. Geek just isn't what it used to be - it's now the norm. I'm impressed by the illusion, the effects, the sheer technical know-how, but I'm not any where close to as moved/influenced as I was when I READ better (4-color) stories at 10, 11, 12 and so on...

I say bring on a REAL Cerebus, a REAL Preacher, a REAL Sandman! Push that envelop - further - show Joe six-pack how GREAT comics-based material really is, or could be. Put that SHIT (sorry sensitives) on the screen. Or at least try.

And they still haven't really nailed the Batman (sorry Chris Nolan fans - it isn't the Batman).

Nope, not yet...

Jim Sheridan said...

Everyone (the mainstream) has always loved superheroes, even if they didn't want to admit it. John Wayne, Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee: superheroes. Their fans just didn't buy floppy periodicals.

To Dave's point, there IS a massive anti-superhero films movement WITHIN comic fandom (everyone who loves LOVE AND ROCKETS), but comic book movies draw a big audience of people who don't buy COMIC BOOKS but who do see every FAST AND FURIOUS or DIE HARD installment.

Unknown said...

Jesus, it's too bad he didn't learn any eloquence from all the Cerebus he's read...

Unknown said...

Speaking as someone who is older than dirt, I have to say that the DEBUT of the BATMAN TV SHOW in January 1966 when I was nine years old was a TRANSFORMATIONAL moment. The Riddler two-parter with Frank Gorshin. I really wasn't sophisticated enough at 9 to register the "camp" side of it, but they definitely "had" me with the Bob Kane homage animation opening and theme music.

In retrospect I'm lucky that we only had black and white TV. Seeing that in colour would probably have made my little 9-year-old brain explode.

Jeff Seiler said...

Dave, I have a...feeling...that your "little, 9-year-old brain" was waaaaay bigger and more developed than those of the rest of us at 9. In my case, in 1971, I was just picking my nose a lot and trying to figure out why girls didn't want to be my friends. And, why they were so mean...