Thursday 25 April 2019

Hssssssssssssssssssss

MARGARET LISS:
A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

We just saw Dave Sim's third Cerebus notebook last week in First American Tour Poster.  The notebook covers Cerebus issues #37 through 40. In this notebook are some sketches of Cockroach as Moonroach, which I thought Dave had shown us already in the Cerebus Biweekly reprints (yes, they have some pictures of the notebooks - I recommend picking them up for that and Dave's commentary that goes along with them. Plus you get all the notes from the president, aardvark comment, and all the ads from the original issue!). However, when I took a look, I didn't see these two pages.

Notebook #3, page 56
Notebook #3, page 57
Moonroach doing some crazy poses that would cause me to topple over and tear some tendons. Page 57 has some dialogue between K'Cor and Lord Julius. The dialogue possibly was for Cerebus #38, which was K'Cor's only appearance in High Society. In that issue, K'Cor appears on a panel with Cerebus, Lord Julius, and Elrod. None of this dialogue made it into the issue.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

M.? Given all of your amazing photos from some very precarious spots, I would venture to say that you are much more lithe than am I. And, that's sayin something (but about next to nothing about our comparative athleticism as of yesterday), you Panther, you. You eclipse me, as far as "gettin' outside" goes. Unless, of course, you're making up all of these pictures, from just one day outside in @#$%ing Boston. In which case, I invest about 0.0001 percent accuracy in my above comment.

You have a very good eye for verisimilitude, but your abstracts (to me), (while interesting in an abstract sorta way), are nowhere near as good as your hard silver and black plates (which are, you know, *not* abstract).

So, that's me--Fan, Critic, eventual Purchaser-of-prints, and an admiring Friend. Please, COLLECT them, print them (with all of the comments) and let me know when you so have done.

Please.

Best to you and Phil,

Jeff