Wednesday 17 April 2019

De-toning Cerebus


Benjamin Hobbs:

 On April 27th and 28th, I'll be at the Gem City Comic Con in Dayton Ohio. Stop by and say hi!

http://gemcitycomiccon.com/


Last Friday, Sean Michael Robinson asked for help de-toning newsprint pages of JAKA'S STORY.  I volunteered, and this is what he sent me:


After a fair bit of time, this is the result:
While de-toning this page, I was surprised at the increase of hatching Dave used on JAKA'S STORY compared to HIGH SOCIETY.  I must have noticed the increase between the two books previously, but I didn't fully KNOW the difference until I spent time erasing all those tiny little dots from between those tiny little lines.

On this panel from HIGH SOCIETY, there were five "problem" areas, areas where it's took some guess work to figure out where the dot tone ended, and the lines began.


 On this panel from JAKA'S STORY, there were as many as 17 "problem" areas.


Next Week: Is the cover of COLOUR YOUR OWN CEREBUS FINALLY done?!!? Find out!

2 comments:

Cerebus Art Hunt said...

You did a KILLER job on this, BH. Really appreciate you taking the time! Even though it ended up being just a few pages, it makes a huge difference in the final book.

Jeff said...

Man, Benjamin (and Sean), you guys are even more particular with your fixes than I am in proofreading, and (as I think you know), that's sayin' somethin'!