Saturday 20 April 2019

I found the first appearance of the carved Demon Heads and Skulls

Hi Everybody!

This stuff:
The Jaka's Story remaster has a Starcode!  APR191258 First month orders will be signed and numbered! Dave will be signing the ENTIRE print run of the book. Also, there's a "contest" to select the image for the bookplate Dave's gonna be signing.

Greg Hyland is Kickstartering the second volume of the Monster Atlas, and it's gonna have Gerhard art like the first volume. It's gonna look a little something like this.

The remastered Volume 1 is available digitally for $9.99.
 
The Auction for the Green Dante/Green Virgil cover is up to $1277.00 US Dollars from: 高伯乐 (Gao BoLe)!
______________________________________________________________

So, getting back to Cerebus, Cirin, and Po's "bits":

The OTHER thing I thought of when I was talking to Dave, was the He/She/It YHWH thing from...Latter Days(?), the back of the book during Latter Days(?), somewhere...

I basically gotta look through the AMOChive and see where what I'm thinking about is. So, NOT today.

But since I need to "moment", here's something I found during my Re-Read of High Society:

The first appearance of the wall of demon heads and skulls:

wait for it...

wait for it...

Boom.
And tying back to what Dave and I said:
Dave: The only thing that I have to add to that, in terms of updating because I have so completely immersed in comic art metaphysics at this point, that I thought, okay this wasn’t my intention, but I think that it could’ve been my unconscious intention, not knowing how far immersed I was gonna get in comic art metaphysics, that because Prince Mick and Prince Keef are based on real people, as far as I know, they were the only ones to comment on demon heads and skulls. Which suggests that there’s a possibility that you can only see them if you’re in our world.
Matt: Possible. I know that Oscar and Rick paint the one that broke off in Jaka’s Story.
Dave: Yes. Yes, that’s true. But as to whether…
Matt: …as to whether they knew it was a demon skull or just a rock?
Dave: Actually, that would apply as well, because Oscar was in our world. 
Matt: Oh yeah! You’re right.
Dave: So… and I don’t think Rick ever let on he even knew it was a demon head or a skull or whatever.
Matt: Yeah, I think he was just doin what Oscar was doin.
Dave: Yeah, yeah. He was just being the charming young neighbor.
Matt: (laughs) That’s… starting next year at the beginning of the year I’m gonna reread the series with a notebook and anything I find that I have questions on, anything that… odd coincidences or things that I forgot, I’m gonna start makin notes and I’m gonna do a reread of… okay, since I’m in charge now, everything I need to remember.
Dave: There you go. There you go. Yeah, if anybody is that curious about it, it would be interesting to see if we’re forgetting anybody that referred to the demon heads and skulls. But I’m pretty sure it wasn’t until Mick said something about it, and then Keef said something about not being able to take a whiz on something that’s staring back at him.
Matt: (laughs) Yeah… I mean, the only other person who mentions them is Cerebus when he’s with the Carrot when they’re ascending, but at that point it’s earnest nonsense, so…
And they first show up with the Roach...

Next Time: It's Easter Sunday, so I eat a Chocolate Jesus while you read the latest Genesis Question post...

7 comments:

Dave Kopperman said...

The rock faces make one earlier appearance, in issue two. Different location, to be sure, but the gist is the same.

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Dave,

And there are carved faces in Necross' keep.

But the MOUNTAIN of them in Iest is what I'm talking about.

Matt Dow

Dave Kopperman said...

Sure, but it's probably best viewed as a recurring visual motif: Dave liked drawing demon heads in stone walls. It probably would have remained more of a background thing had Gerhard not given them such a dramatic boost - I started as a reader with issue 81 (coincidentally the start of CSv2) and the hook of it in that run of issues was a major grabber.

That having been said, do you think it has a different meaning in those other locations than it does in the depictions of Iest?

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Dave,

Well Dave Sim pointed out that only parodies of real people comment on the Iestean skulls. So I think it's funny that the skulls first show up with the Roach.

Tony Dunlop said...

Not quite; both the old barfly, and the Cirinist patrol, "saw" the skull Oscar was painting.

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Ah, but Tony, that was AFTER Rick and Oscar painted it...

Matt

Tony again said...

So they thought it was just a face painted on a plain ol' boulder? Hmmm.....could be. Not sure I'm convinced.