Saturday 18 May 2019

The Ol' AMOC Mailbag: David Johnson

Hi, Everybody!

If you got a couple of extra bucks and want to do a fellow Cerebus fan a solid, frequent commentator Mike Battaglia has a go fund me here (Dave talked about it last Friday.)

The Green Dante/Green Virgil cover auction is NOW at $1300 US Dollars from: Jeff Seiler!!! If you want in on this action, just comment on this post, or e-mail momentofcerebus@gmail.com

Friend to the Blog, and the guy who passed a non-binding resolution to gauge support among the Senate affirming the fundamental right of Naboo to withhold financial remuneration to the Trade Federation subsequent to the addendum ending the second phase of the continued summit establishing a work group studying the long term effects of the resolution ending the Trade Federation's quasi-legal occupation of Naboo, while topless like Kirk: Steve Peters has another Kickstarter going. (I have a joke in one panel.)

The remastered Volume 1 is available digitally for $9.99.


The second Postcard From Hell Kickstarter is up. 
___________________________________________________

And from the depths of the Ol' AMOC Mailbag, comes:

(So, in this month's Please Hold For Dave Sim, I talked about an e-mail I got from David Johnson, that I had faxed up to Dave to get his take on it. This is that message.)

Matt, this is David Johnson, who has started to comment recently on Dave's Commentaries posts on your A Moment Of Cerebus. I use to write Dave from 2003 - 7, and he answered my letters in Cerebus # 300, Collected Letters, and personally. I want to thank you for doing AMOC,
[Okay, I'm going to comment in BOLD. -Matt (I'm also NOT correcting any misspellings...)]

You're welcome. 
for your once a week phone videos and transcripts, and more.
Um... the calls are monthly. Dave DOES post a video weekly, the transcripts are done when I get around to it. (Hopefully soon...)
Recenently, I have again started writing Dave again, and had such some questions about if or if not in his opinion, that I signed his petition before it started, again 6 years ago with Margret Liss, and again at the same time with Max at CerebusTV, and this past week with my new letter I faxed to him, and a few days later a condensed 1 page version of the petition. I totally agree with Dave's petition and am also myself an anti-feminist, who does not hate women. I am also a monotheist like Dave and some of his fans are, and a follower of Jesus Christ. 
I'd assume if you signed the petition six years ago, and you still don't think Dave Sim is a misogynist, then "Bob's your uncle," but I'm sure Margaret can let you know if your name is on or not.
Therefore, because of my and Dave's different views on Jesus and Muhammad, but not over his petition, I asked him if he would accept my latteral petition,
Jesus and Muhammad don't have anything to do with it. "I don't believe Dave Sim is a misogynist." If you agree with the statement, sign the petition. If you don't agree with the statement, DON'T sign the petition. This is not rocket surgery. I believe you're bringing WAY to much baggage to this. 

It's REAL simple. "I don't believe Dave Sim is a misogynist." "Yes" or "No".
while comparing it to how the Amish by law do not have to sign and receive numbers for such and such government identification, and tax and/or health insurance related forms, because the government supplies them with another form they may fill out, which is not counted or named with the others, but still a part of the rest.
Too much baggage. You're overthinking this. 
I am also willing to do this with Margret too, and will try emailing her this part of my email to you to her today.
Ok. 
In relation, I told Dave that, to me, the closeness in relation to his petition, with Cerebus's Son's which Cerebus singed in # 299, after much dispute back and forth with each other, where otherwise he would not talk to Cerebus,
Let me stop you right there. This is Wrong. Cerebus NEVER signed a petition. He did sign a statement. And it WASN'T Sheshep's, it was the Upper Feldan Foo-Foo's:



Edited to eliminate a bunch of panels of Cerebus standing around.

in relation to Dave's views on God and Islam, has me much wondering if Dave's petition is subtly being used by him to identify, who his Rick like anti-feminist readers are (Who do not sign his petition/ do what I did/ don't write him at all because he wants them to know he is too busy to respond, but its OK to fax or call in small talk, get an autograph at shows and such/ all of these combined or something else.),
Yeah, totally overthinking this... 
in contrast to his Cerebus' Son like feminist readers are (Who sign the petition.).
It's really just the one declarative statement. Either you DO think Dave is a misogynist, or you DON'T think Dave is a misogynist. That's ALL the petition is. Bringing all this other baggage to it is unnecessary.  

In relation to his unique thinking on things, I also asked, if Cerebus' Son being a feminist Muslim,
He wasn't. Sheshep WAS a feminist (or at least the Estarcion equivalent,) but he wasn't a Muslim. He DID warn Cerebus about the Muslims, but he wasn't a Muslim.

The Last Day page 222

was Dave's way of implying to readers, that the one's who don't sign Dave's are being like Rick who submitted to Godly suffering, in contrast to those who do, as being one's who in their own unsubmission to the obvious, making Dave and Cerebus out in their own minds, to be like Cerebus' Son, by signing Dave's petition, because Dave isn't like his Son at all, which, if I am right, would prove Dave is making the subtle point that all who sign it, are making the same mistake Cerebus did, which was his last mistake which made God cut him off and he went to hell.
Boy howdy, do I hate Pronouns!  "Dave isn't like his Son at all"? Whose son? Cerebus'? Dave's? God's? 

I mean, (barring an old flame dropping the mother of all surprises on Dave for his birthday,) Dave doesn't have a son. 

Yes, Dave isn't anything like Sheshep, Cerebus' son, but that's because Dave isn't a feminist. (Or fictional.)

Also, signing the statement isn't what got Cerebus sent to Hell?. Throwing the baby, that was what got Cerebus sent to Hell?. And raping Astoria. And beheading Boreleans. Killing all those guys. Fornicating with Joanne. Swearing. Being a degenerate titty-bar owner. Pretty much every decision Cerebus made for three hundred issues.

(And then there's the ? in Cerebus in Hell? which implies that Cerebus might not be in Hell.)
I know you know exaxlctly what it is that I am talking about,
Betcha five bucks you don't...
because we all know how unique Dave's thinking is concerning such things either way. Take into consideration, how he was open to letting Mr. Sciver work with him,
Van Sciver. VAN. I may not like the guy, but I TRY not to screw up his name.
which you were ready to cut Dave off for.
Say wha? 
First, Matt, in my thinking, I too didn't want it to happen, and am glad that God took a bad thing and made it into a good, and Mr. Sciver walked away.
That's...that's an..."interesting" way of looking at Dave getting his name drug through the mud. Again.
But, Dave is his own man and it was a business decision, and you know that two working on a project have to communicate between each other.
Sure. 
You have a family and know these things.
I DO have a family. (Ain't nobody know what things you're talking about...) 
I was sad to see you almost cut Dave off after all he had did for you.
Whatchu talking 'bout David Johnson?

When the F***(!!!!!) did I "almost cut Dave off"? 

I reported the FACT that SOME people had talked about cutting Dave off if he worked with Mr. Van Sciver. But I NEVER said anything about ME cutting him off. 

In point of fact, every time CyberFrog came up, I was lauded for how fair and even-handed I was in my "reporting" (and, yes, those quotation marks need to be there. Walter Cronkite was a reporter, I blog about a comic that ended fifteen years ago. (Bit of a drop off there, is what I'm saying...)). 

The ONLY time I wasn't fair and even-handed was AFTER Mr. Van Sciver and Dave parted ways and I called EVS a chicken-shit. 

But I never "almost cut Dave off".
I am not mad at you though.
Well that's nice.

And, just to be clear, I'm not mad either. Slightly annoyed. But that's a nearly universal condition, at this point.
I'm glad you're still communicating,
Well, Dave calls me. If he suddenly stops, I know I'm in the doghouse... 
and want you and everyone to know that Dave doesn't have it out for you or any of us.
Except for that ONE GUY (he KNOWS who he is...) 
Dave has in the past during the petition period, done work for hire, reviews of others creations, and such with others who haven't signed his petition,
I'm a little fuzzy on the timeline, "work for hire"? Was this when Dave was trying to raise the money to buy out Gerhard's share of Aardvark-Vanaheim?

Because THAT (paying off Ger) took precedent over any philosophical stance Dave may have had. (Although, (and I'm probably wrong on this, so when the Peanut Gallery shows up to tell me I'm wrong: I know guys, I know...) I believe Ted Adams at IDW signed, so that would invalidate your point for Dave's IDW covers.
and even verbally saluted those who at least had the boldness to say, they wouldn't sign his petition for whatever reason, but respected him for it and his work, and wanted him and others to know it.
I'm gonna need more specifics. Who did Dave "verbally salute" and when? 
Yet, some of Dave's own familiar so-called petition readers,
Do you mean "petition signers"? Because "petition readers" is anybody who has ever read the petition. Even the people who read it and said, "Yeah, no. Dave's a misogynist." Which, ya know, who cares?
have disrespected Dave, Cerebus,
Hey, 100% agreement with Dave isn't a requirement to post comments around here.

Hell, I think Dave was an idiot when he threw away his second set of the negatives to the first three(? or was it four?) phonebooks. When Sandeep's apartment burned down with the negatives to High Society (and Cerebus?), Dave could have had a second set, but he decided to throw out all the negatives to the Bi-Weeklies, because he didn't think he needed them.

I mean, I said at the time that he threw them out, that he could have SOLD them and made some money. 

But it is what it is, and Sean's doing a dynamite job restoring Cerebus with what he has available.
and God, when Dave has made it clear to everyone that God is everything to him.
Okay, here's where the problem starts.

Dave believes that the Torah, the Bible, and the Koran document the on-going dialogue between God and YHWH. And follows all three faiths (Judism, Christianity, and Islam).

You, as you said above, identify as a Christian (and I assume,) DON'T agree with Dave that the Torah, the Bible, and the Koran document the on-going dialogue between God and YHWH. And probably (again I assume,) DON'T think that God and YHWH are two separate entities.

There are many people who comment here, who DON'T think God and YHWH are two separate entities.

Some of them don't think God and/or YHWH are even real.

So, if they, or you, voice your disagreement with Dave's views, is that disrespect?

Also, how is disagreeing with Dave's views disrespecting God?

I mean, you seem to equate Dave with God almost interchangeably. I have to say, that I believe that Dave would probably disagree with you on that.
So, in my case, sincerely believing that God used Dave, known to Dave or not, to end Cerebus # 300 in such a way, that with him answering my letters first in back,
That's one way of looking at it. I pulled my copy of issue 300 out and took a look. I'd say, that Dave talked about you, and excerpted from your letters. I wouldn't say he "answered" them.
that I believe that was God's way of showing me, Sgt. Brian Lee Moore, and Dave's Old Laywer (The other 2 Dave replied to.),
And Adam Beechen. Don't forget Adam Beechen, the guy after you. Then it was Sgt. Brian L. Moore. And then Wilf Jenkins, Q.C. (Dave's former lawyer).
that we were suppossed to be like Rick's of our time, and like Cerebus would've been if he hadn't chosen to sign his Son's petition,
Cerebus didn't...aw, I already covered this... 
and earlier on led his people to freedom in the name of God.
 Wait, what? 
Seeing, Cerebus signing the petition was Cerebus' final mistake, I can't bring myself to sign Dave's as it is, or else I think I will be not submitting to God, and disrespecting Dave and others.
Others? And, again, I think you're bringing too much baggage to this. If you don't think Dave is a misogynist, sign. If you do, don't.

Likewise, if I am right or not, I also explained to Dave that I think some of the readers are already reinventing Cerebus in their own feminist anti-God and anti-Jesus image, like it or not to Dave or anyone.
Ooookkaaayyy... 
Back in 2007 Dave implied to us the readers, that he had turned the keys of Cerebus, the off white house, and such to the inmates of the asylum.
Twelve years ago. Man, I can't even remember this. Where/when did Dave say this?
We all know that Dave's point with # 186, was that the feminists win, and when they ask him next, "Now what?," that the answer is, "I don't know? You tell me."
I don't think that applies to Cerebus. If we, the fans/readers ask "Hey Dave, what's going on with Cerebus?" I don't think he's going to answer, "You tell me?" I think he'll tell us what's going on with Cerebus. Or The Strange Death of Alex Raymond. Or You Don't Know Jack. Or his wrist, or anything anybody asks.

I ask you, look at where we all are at right now, with where Dave's at, with weekly doing his updates on Cerebus Live, his once a month phone conversations with you, Cerebus In Hell every month and such, and do you or does anyone else not at all see, that Dave is giving us whatever we want, and in a fashion, when asking him, "What next Dave?," isn't he telling us back, "I don't know. You guys are doing Cerebus In Hell and such. All of you do what you want, and I'll finish up the rest?" Do you not see this starting to happen right after # 300, with Following Cerebus, Cerebus The Movie, CerebusTV, and such?
Um...no? No, I don't. I think Dave's trying to keep the lights on. And remaster all the phonebooks, AND keep them all in print. AND AND finish The Strange Death of Alex Raymond.

The guy making the movie,
Oliver Simonsen. (Hi Oliver!) 
almost told Dave he was going to do whatever he wanted to do with it, when Dave had already told him no.
No, (and Oliver can correct me if I'm wrong,) Dave told Oliver that Dave wouldn't sign off on the Cerebus Animated film until Oliver has a COMPLETED film.
IDW is still treating Dave like they own The Strange Death Of Alec Robinson,
The Strange Death of Alex Raymond.
and since day one, and with all the covers, pin-ups, short stories, and such he has done for them and everyone, they have been trying to act like Cerebus and Dave belong to them.
(Unless I missed something, and I plan on double checking with Dave,) IDW gave Dave an advance against royalties for The Strange Death of Alex Raymond, so in a sense, they DO own it. (Although, I think Dave paid them back? This sound familiar to anybody?)

As to the covers and stuff, that was Work-For-Hire, so that DOES belong to IDW (or the respective rights holders). 
He helped them and others in the self publishers world to exist.
That's a..."generous" way of looking at it. (Dave didn't create the Direct Market, but he was an early success story from it.)

I don't understand, why Dave isn't publishing CIH under his Aardvark-Vanaheim, Inc. lable,
He is. 
and for a lot cheaper than $5.00 like every other comic is priced,
I know I'm a few months behind, but I thought it was $4? And aren't most Marvel and DC books $3.99 now?
like how Cerebus was always a lot cheaper than everyone else,
Yeah, I don't remember if Cerebus was that much cheaper... 
unless I am right, and his point is that, like he said, Cerebus was over with # 300, and he went to hell, and so CIH would only be his way of showing Cerebus is still over, which is why he's doing it through IDW,
Except, Dave's not. The Cerebus in Hell? books are ALL published by Aardvark-Vanaheim. 
and having it always be a new # 1 stand alone monthly looping issue.
That's a gimmick. #1 issues sell better. By making each issue a #1, the hope is stores will order more copies. (I don't know if it's working, Ben? Sean? David Birdsong? Any info would be great fellas.)
Before CIH, that Cerebus In Hell, where he was only there being tortured, I thought was enough for readers to get the point, but they asked for more Cerebus and Jaka living happily ever after.
Huh? 
I tell you all of these things because, I think Dave is trying to get you to see his point. I know AMOC is yours,
Technically. (But only until the guy who runs the blog devoted to Archie's Pal Jughead retires, then I'm gonna blow this Popsicle Stand and run that.) (I'm joking, I'm joking. Calm down Seiler...)
but by doing that, and calling Dave once a month,
Dave calls me. It was his idea. And every month I tell him that if he doesn't want to call, I'm totally okay with that. 

I'm VERY much aware how lucky I am that he DOES call. As I've told him, it's like being a Shakespearean scholar, and having Bill (his friends call him "Bill") calling you and answering every question you have about The Taming of the Shrew.
you're making him a part of it, and so Dave is hoping maybe you and others will at least acknowlwdge that God is everything to him,
Oh, I'm very much aware of Dave and his religious views. 

Which brings me to MY religious views.

I've been mentally writing a Position Statement for the past few years, and now's as good a time as any to actually write it down. (With the caveat, that I freely admit that I'm probably wrong...)

I'm VERY much an Agnostic. 

The best way I have to describe my views is: I believe in the Transamerica Bulding in San Francisco. I believe it was intelligently designed, and built. I don't think it was carved out of the bedrock at the end of the last Ice Age. BUT, I don't think that after it was built that the architect then moved into the building as a custodian/concierge to the people that moved in.

So, I believe that there MAY be a God, but I don't think he gives a shit what you had for lunch.

I see no real concrete evidence that there is some supreme being looking out for everything.

At best, the universe may have had a creator, but after creation, I don't think that said creator became a caretaker. If anything, Some entity, call it God if you want, seeded the Earth with life, but if so, it was simple single cell organisms that then evolved over millions of years into what we know of as life today.

My view is that IF there is a God, and IF said God is TRULY all-knowing, all-powerful, and everywhere, and also that this God has some complex plan that involves every single person who has ever lived or ever will live, then that makes the universe into a giant Rube Goldberg machine. And, I just don't think so.

I could go on, but unless I'm asked. I'll stop.
and that's the point to Cerebus, CIH, and the rest. Yes, he has told you all basically that Cerebus belongs to all of you, but he wants all of you to see the point.
Yeah, I missed the point, what was it?

I am glad you're posting the commentaries, but that was something people running AMOC long before you should have started first.
That'd be Tim. And he ran AMOC his way, and told me to do whatever I wanted. (In fact, he recently e-mailed me about something, and when I mentioned a couple of regular commenters, he admitted he hadn't thought of them in eighteen months. So anybody holding their breath waiting for Tim's triumphant return is... dead. I mean, come on, it's been a year and a half. Nobody can hold their breath that long. Also, Tim's not coming back.)
Dave has even suggested to you that another commentary run in AMOC
Uh...when was this? When I asked Dave if he had any Bible commentaries, he said he didn't think anybody would be interested. (And only sent what I've run because I asked.)
or somewhere each week, with or beside the one on Sundays. Not you or anyone has to do that because they're your and their pages, but Dave and people like me are saying, if all of you are going to be the future holders of the off white house estate and Cerebus, then may all of you at least acknowledge that he and others like us, are followers of God, and that Cerebus' point is about God?



AMOC rightly acknowledges that it isn't Dave's page or opinions or such, but can you please acknowledge that God is ours?
Um... I'm misreading that. God is your what?
Yes, Cerebus is going to belong to all of you someday, but that doesn't change what I am saying, or what Dave is doing. I, Dave, and others are saying, all of you are the readers. There's not anyone else to say it. Dave said it all the time from his conversion until this day, but he has mostly stopped since # 300, seeing he was done, but I do wish he would tell his testimony more, but I think he depends much on all of you, with your auctions and such to survive.
I think I get what your driving at. Maybe.
If not for Gerhard asking him to buy out his share, Dave could've spent the rest of his life comfortably doing drawings for himself, whatever struck him, and retiring.
Remember when Dave "retired" and was soon spending twelve hours a day answering his mail? Dave's a workaholic...
You see, that post-Cerebus, his voice has been with Judashaus,
Judenhass
and now SDOAR. Glamourpuss was just his way of having fun and again subtily implying, what I've already said with CIH and such.
Um... 

glamourpuss #1 page 4

glamourpuss #1 page 5
 I'm sorry, you were saying...

You can tell Judashaus
Judenhass
and SDOAR, have been his mostly only serious works, which is why he's taking so much time on SDOAR, but I wish he would concentrate on the more needful thing of sharing Christ's gospel, and feeding Jesus' sheep.
Like it says at the top of the blog, I'm NOT Dave Sim, (and also, an avowed Agnostic,) but I'm fairly certain that Dave would just tell people to read the Bible and the Koran, and make up their own minds.
Now, Gerhard, Brian Coppola, and Carson Grubaugh, have the shame to do their unauthorized Cerebus short story called Take On Me,
Yeah, I should really link that. Oh wait...
which Brian admits is there way of confronting Dave, because in their opinions, he implied in Cerebus that all of us readers are maroons for not believing in God.
Yeah, I haven't read Brian's commentary on Take On Me yet.
Does not anyone remember, what happened between Dave and Jeff Smith?
Yeah...
Now, Gerhard, Brian, and Carson are in a fashion forcing Dave in his own house. Brian's looking for a publisher for this thing.
Well, he did pay for it, so it's his...
Brian has made money off selling art work
That he paid for. It's like if you were to sell your Cerebus comics...
, Gerhard still gets some royalties,
For work he produced and which Dave feels Ger is entitled to...
and Carson works for Dave sometimes and on SDOAR,
Yeah, he does...
and these guys want to rip Dave off?
Uh... How? Brian commissioned Carson and Gerhard. That means he paid them money. That means that he owns the original artwork. That means if he wants to print a billion copies of his five page story he can. 

And it's a Cerebus tribute with Carson in the world of Cerebus. 

I honestly don't think Dave would have a problem with it.

I'll ask, but... how is Gerhard drawing buildings that Gerhard first created for Cerebus ripping Dave off?
That will not stand. Especially, if any of them signed Dave's petition,
Ger? probably not.

Brian? Maybe...

Carson? I think so...
which is something I think Dave has been waiting for.
I...don't think so...
Gerhard wanted out.
Yep. And he is. (more or less)
Do you think a laywer would grant in their favour?
Uh...if they paid him? Do you mean a judge?  (And if you did, yes. I don't think Dave has any copyright claim to the backgrounds Ger drew. Nor do I think Dave would try to enforce them if he did.)
If they want out, then leave Dave alone. He respects all of them. This is exactly what Dave wants.
Carson is still working on The Strange Death of Alex Raymond with Dave...
Margret Liss is my favourite of all the readers.
Yeah, she's pretty great (for a Bruins fan... I kid Mags, I kid. Call off the little Pink Mafia. CALL 'EM OFF,  CALL 'EM OFF!!!)
Like Dave said once, she has a blind spot to feminisim. She has done the best job to make Cerebus be, what Dave wants it to be.
Sure. 
I see her kind of as Dave's secretary.
Uh... 
She always obeys, never complains, and just keeps doing her job.
I would hope so, or they'd fire her.

Oh, you mean with Cerebus.

Yeah, I don't pay her, and I don't think Dave does either. 
11 years ago Margret Liss stopped talking to me after I asked her about Jesus. Afterwards, she implied I sign Dave's petition or else. I kind of admired her for her boldness.
That doesn't sound like Margaret. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that it doesn't sound like Margaret...
I have signed it and I have done it without hands, and nailed it to Jesus' cross.
That...that sounds weird...

Margret, I would rather you were totally blind to feminism. That time when Dave asked you about me asking you about Jesus, he and I only wanted to hear your opinion on God and Jesus. I understand, like you told Dave, that is a personal subject to you, but we wanted you to know the gospel isn't kept in secret. You wouldn't have hurt Dave's feelings if you told him your beliefs were different from his. Since Dave says you have a blind spot, it's like how Jesus said of the healed blindman, "For this reason I have come into the world, that those who are blind, may receive sight, and that those who see, may become blind.," and the Pharisees asked him, "Does this mean we are blind also?," and Jesus said, "Since you say your sight remains, you are blind also."
Mags, this is addressed to you, so...
Also, 11 years ago Cerebus Yahoo newsgroup user Supentis-Po forbid me to mention the name of Jesus, and told me and others to leave him and Dave alone, and to stop misleading them with God and Jesus. I follow Jesus. Dave follows God. Everyone else may follow who they want.
Okay. 

That, doesn't really concern me, right?
There's a judgement and I don't want anyone to go to hell. Hell isn't a joke.
I'm fairly certain that some of the Cerebus in Hell? team would disagree. But that the people who stopped reading WOULD agree...
If one chooses Jesus who died on the cross, they will live. If one wants to know how to be saved, they can call upon the name of the Lord, repent of their sins, and they will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Yeah, I know, I collect Chick tracts... (What? Cerebus isn't my only hobby...)
I had a conversion like Dave, where I felt 5 swooshes go up out of me, while my body loosened up that had before tightened, and I felt brand new, and in a better way than Cerebus did in the tent with Jaka, I heard Jesus' Small Still Voice say, "Read my word and tell people your testimony!"
Cool? (My brother once got really drunk and "saw" Jesus, and has since become religious, and goes to church and stuff. I once got really drunk and "met" Tom Waits. I feel I got the better deal...)
As Dave had hoped with Following Cerebus, you, the CIH team, and such are Dave's future fans to help him market Cerebus and its ideas to others.
I guess... I mean, I try...
My concerns are Christ and his gospel, but my point is, that he wants all of you to lighten his work load like Margret does.
Uh, he hasn't said anything to me. 
I suggested to you, the man who runs Dave's weekly updates,
That'd be Rollie, or Fisher (I'm not really sure.)
the one who does Cerebusdownloads.com,
George Gatsis.
and to David Birdsong that we and others all chip in and buy Dave some $69.00 computer software that has voice recognition, to listen to his voice to type out what he says, and I told all of you that the $99.00 version could have up to 6 shared accounts on it, where all of you could put things together for Dave, and even comic book word baloon text according to Dave's downloaded styles, and more, and not any of you replied back to me.
Yeah, sorry. I get a lot of messages in this gig, and sometimes I lose track. When Dave first got the hand problem, it was suggested that he get a voice typing program, and he more or less refused. He's just against computers.

Yet, some of you weekly, continue to award people to in some way to keep helping support Dave to talk about 13 year old girls,
"Award"? I HAD to talk about the 13 year old girl thing because Dave was getting raked over the coals about it. 
now to use his bad hand to draw when we all know he shouldn't, and he even told us how bad it hurt only to draw it, and more, and some of us are commenting things like, "Way to go Dave! Keep drawing and such!"
Dave's a big boy. If his hand hurts too much, he won't use it. But he has been supporting himself since he was seventeen(?) as an artist, and the loss of the ability to do the thing he... (I wanna say "loves", but that doesn't seem like the right word...) is a challenge. Also, there is Dave's competitiveness streak, which makes him wonder CAN he still draw, or is that chapter of his life gone.
Please, may you and others consider all that I have said and choose rightly.
Sure?

Now, I have a suggestion, if you do not want to talk to Dave about God,
I'll talk to Dave about whatever Dave wants to talk about.
then will you please talk to him about you giving Dave and I 4 of your 12 phone conversations each year (The months with 5 of whatever day it is that you do them on.) to talk about only God and Jesus?
That's up to Dave. HE. CALLS. ME. I just tell him what's up and sorta set the agenda.
I have already asked Dave about this or have it ready in one of my forthcoming letters for him. I don't think Dave has any other spare time to give me, and 4 shows out of your 12 I think would suffice my point.
Again, Dave calls me. If he wants to NOT call me, that's his decision. If he calls you, and you wanna record it, I'll run it on AMOC.
I have likewise asked David Birdsong, if Dave and I could have every leap year issue of CIH (There is only 1 every 4 years, and the next one is Feb. 29, 2020. I mean it would only be 1 issue every 4 years.) to do an all God and Jesus issue. I have also that ready too to send to Dave. I know that all the other issues are taken until about that time, and if Feb. is taken, I asked if we could have another issue in 2020. I suggested it would be only scriptures, and all public domain art from the Smith's Bible dictionary that looks just like Gerhard and the current art in there.
That's another Dave Sim decision. It's Dave's comic, Ben Hobbs and David Birdsong help out and offer suggestions and start the Twitter Wars (oh come on guys, you know it's true!)

I suggested calling it Jesus Lamb's Story the way Jaka's and Rick's Story was titled, where like with that run in the monthly and in the phonebooks, the title Cerebus was lessened, as it would be for this issue of CIH. I suggested it end, where Jesus is arrested in the garden, and tells the soldiers, "Have I not told you, "I am he.,"? If you want me, here I am, but let these little ones go so that scriptures may be fulfilled." I suggested this could be our answer to Take On Me.
Ooookkaayyy... That seems like on "odd" response...
David said he is game, but said he doubts Dave will go far it, because it isn't CIH's subject matter.
To put it lightly...
I replied back to him that was my point because God is its point. I talked more about Jesus and haven't heard back from him yet. I have one more suggestion. Below, is my recent comment to another on Dave's newest commentary on AMOC, who asked who Dave what book Dave was quoting from and such. Seeing all of us love auctions and funny things, I offered mine, and show it to you to show you I am not against you or anyone, but willing to work you like Dave is too.
Ok... 

But, please take all of my main points in this email, and share them with Dave, so we may see his answers. Maybe this can be the first of 4 yearly all God and Jesus phone conversations, in the same way I asked David, if Dave agrees, to help assemble the all God and Jesus issue of CIH. You wait and see, it wouldn't be one of the issues tying with Agent of Cod, but higher up. Just the name Jesus on the cover would sell more. That is a popular name.
...

Will you also please help me verify if or if not Dave has or hasn't read my recent fax and later petition, because when I sent the fax on Sunday, the first 3 of 4 parts (I used Faxzero and one can only fax 3 pages at a time. I am glad for Faxzero and thank Cerebusdownloads.com for mentioning that.) faxed OK, but the 4th part failed twice, and I waited an hour and tried again, and that time it worked. I was wondering if I did something wrong or if it was only something else. I knew he was sick and it was the Sabbath, but I know before he's said faxing anytime is OK, but it was an 11 page letter about, and Dave has said he doesn't have much time lately. On the cover pages to part 4 and the later petition, I explained to Dave that in the future, I would mail them myself, and that I wasn't against his petition, but only wanted to do as I explained earlier.
If you can find out for me and all of us, where Dave stands on such things, it will help me and them know if or if not we should contact Dave in the future. I know he will probably either have already read my letter and fax, and will later report on it on his weekly update like I suggested, or he will mail me his petition and ask me to sign it or not (I'm wondering if Margret will say this again or if everyone will ignore me, but I have much more faith that someome will answer me.). My only thought was, did he see I hadn't signed the petition, and didn't proceed to read either, or see my address further down in the cover pages, which he could use to send me his petition, which would let me know either that he didn't agree, or does he not know my thinking, but if so, I wouldn't know that, and I don't want to keep mailing him, if he doesn't want that.
I'll double check, but Dave and I talked about you last time, and I had sent this e-mail up, so I dunno...
Thanks. Here is the comment and suggestion from AMOC:
"I think the book Dave is quoting from is The Genesis Question: Scientific Advances and the Accuracy of Genesis by Hugh Norman Ross from 2001. Here is a description of it from the book itself:
""Everyone knows the Bible teaches scientific nonsense" is a commonly held misconception. When pushed for examples, many point Genesis 1-11. In this book, Dr. High Ross shows how those very chapters hold some of the strongest scientific evidence for the Bible's supernatural accuracy thus reinforcing its reliability as the authoritative Word of God. "The Genesis Question" takes up the challenge in an intelligent and scientifically accurate response."
In relation to Genesis 1 - 11, the 11th Psalm says, "If the foundations be destroyed, what shall the righteous do?," which more so points to how Jesus is the slaughtered lamb foundation of the gospel before the world began, and how his 12 disciples are the other foundations built upon that chief foundation, as the 12 foundations of New Jerusalem in Revelation, and how the 12 gates of it are the 12 sons of Jacob, how God and Jesus are its temple and throne (And, not an actual building or throne.), and how all of the other Saints are the living bricks, with Jesus as that cornerstone, that fitly holds the entire Spiritual house of God together. Your best bet or anyone's is to read the scriptures for yourself in a book of scriptures of your own and to pray about it.

If you want to be saved, call upon the name of the Lord, repent of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. My conversion was like Dave's and happened when I too was praying, when if felt like 5 swooshes also went up out of me, as like Dave said, and my stresses totally left me too and I felt brandnew, and I heard the Small Still Voice better than Cerebus did, when in the tent with Jaka, and Jesus told me, "Read my word and tell people your testimony!"
I tell you what. If you or any of the other readers, that are likewise intereted in God and Jesus like I, Dave, and others are (Al Nichols, Billy Beech, Troy and Mia, Trevor Grace, and others, are you listening?), if anyone, being the first reader who contacts Dave about the 11th Psalm foundation analogy, relates it to Jack Kirby's Asgard with its city sitting on a mountain, which to me points to Jesus as that Rock, with its rainbow bridge, which to me points to the scriptures saying a rainbow surrounds God, his throne, and New Jerusalem, because his Light reflects off the 12 multi-colored stone foundations of the apostles, which 9 of the such same stones use to belong to the other Son of Fresh Oil (Something Dave has been talking about lately.) beside Jesus (Satan), and covered him, while God's Light reflected off him, but now we get to cover God's glory with Jesus Lamb, in a better way, as Dave once said David had Abishag the virgin covered him,...
And, you can get Dave on one of his weeky updates to comment on how, all of this to him relates to how Jesus, Lazarus, and Mary sat together at the table in that fulfilled virgin way, while Martha served in that Bathsheba way, and to tie that in with Dave's recent Ezekiel commentaries about, how God said that the Levites would serve at his throne, but the Kohatite Levites, helping the others at it in that Martha way, and tie in that into the 144,000 virgins in Revelation, and tie all of this together into Dave's recent remarks, that a house made by hands can not contain God, and neither can his peoples be numbered like he promised Abraham, I will donate $20.00 to Dave to be used on groceries, if he at least promises to also use part of that money to buy one box of City Hall raisins (The kind that he gets from there every Saturday.), and shows it to us on Cerebus Live and reads off the address of the people who distributed it, and eats some on air.
Thanks again for the great comments everyone."
I...I'll leave that to you AMOC readers. (I literally got nothing guys. Well except for a Batman VS Superman joke, "Martha.")
Matt, thanks
You're welcome.
(You too Margret and Anyone Else). If you talk to Dave about these things, and he has read my letter and petition, he is going to know most of what you do, but this letter to you would help him understand my points more. Thank you. If you have any questions, likes, dislikes, or such, I would be glad to hear any of them. If so, and if you're going to discuss these things with Dave on your monthly phone conversation, can you please let me know, because I only read and comment on the Sunday AMOC commentaries by Dave, and skim through his weekly updates? Thanks. Thanks for AMOC and everything else. To those in the faith, to Jesus be the glory forever and ever, amen.
I sent it up to Dave, don't think I'll get a response from him.
____________________________________________________

Okay, it's past my bedtime.

Next Time: Sunday. Matt's day of rest...

14 comments:

Jeff said...

WOW!!!

Matthew, you definitely earned your AMOC administrator money this week.

Better you than me, bud. Oh, and I would definitely follow you over to the Jughead blog.

Hazel Poni said...

Uh, where to start? Uh? Just eat the raisins on your weekly update Dave, and you'll have $20.00 more dollars or something.

Birdsong said...

For the record I said I would take a look at David Johnson's Cerebus In Hell? leap year idea. David Johnson sent it to Dave Sim who has sent it to me, David Birdsong. (Too many Davids, but blame our parents if you have to.) I was away from home last week and had my mail held and it will all be delivered Monday. David Johnson, if you are reading this I will read what you have sent me and respond to you in private. The February 2020 issue is already completed and scheduled so the leap year issue will not happen in 2020.

I try, but don't always succeed, not to talk about God and politics in public, especially the Internet, because it only leads to arguments.

Dave has made it very clear that anyone that wants to make their own Cerebus comic or use Cerebus (or Cerebus' supporting cast) in their own comic is free to do so.

Cerebus In Hell? continues to sell roughly 1,700 to 2,000 copies a month. It usually comes in around 330 something or 340 something on the list of the top 500 comics each month. We have no way of knowing who buys copies of Cerebus In Hell? after the month they have been released because those numbers are too small for Diamond to bother tracking. Diamond also seems to "lose" and then "find" copies of CIH? in their warehouse, but most of them are long sold out and a few will trickle out here and there. If you want them I would suggest ordering them when they are available as Dave has no plans to collect them into a trade anytime soon. We are working on the 2020 issues and are currently about 10 months ahead with other issues underway and at various stages of completion.

This December's VARK THING and some 2020 issues will include NEW! DAVE! SIM! ART! on the covers.

It is a joy and a privilege to work with Dave on Cerebus In Hell? Thanks for all of you that support it. I'm not in it for the money (HAH! what money?). I consider it time well spent.

Dion said...

I may be wrong but I think in the 80’s and 90’s Cerebus was a touch more expensive than the marvel/DC books. In the 2000’s with Glamourpuss I think the tables were turned and the A-V books were cheaper. Current day and most things seem to be at the $4 price point.

- Dion

Dominick Grace said...

Wow, I can't wait to see what Damian has to say about this one.

Slumbering Agartha said...

"I see her kind of as Dave's secretary."

I have no words.

Steve said...


Sir Matt -

Bravo to you for taking the time and effort to wade into this, make as much sense of it as you can, and do it all with candor, civility, and humor.

What verbiage both Dave and David are able to generate!

Steve

Tony Dunlop said...

"Just the name Jesus on the cover would sell more. That is a popular name."

Only in Spanish-speaking countries.

I'd say more, but I'm not qualified. Dave Sim definitely attracts some...odd...folks in his fanbase, doesn't he? (looks uncomfortably in the mirror...)

PS I haven't read "The Last Day" in a year or so, but I'd forgotten about the "statement" from the Lower Feldan "foo foos." Which means I'd forgotten how prophetic Dave S. really was/is; I mean, that statement pretty much sums up the "establishment" view in the West in 2019, doesn't it? In 2004 it was still pretty "out there."

Dave Kopperman said...

Faaaascinating.

Seriously: normally I skip the really niche longer text things, but this was gripping on the order of the great, cracked manifestos. Thanks, Matt, for taking the time to break it up and give balance and commentary, which definitely made the read much more rewarding. I start to feel like I'm alone in my appreciation of Cerebus as simply a great work of art, but then something like this will turn up and I'm reminded that everyone ultimately feels alone in their attachment to a thing.

That having been said, it sure feels like David is putting a huge, presumptuous burden on Dave, even more so than the rest of his most ardent fans.

Tony again said...

I'm still convinced that David J. is pulling an elaborate practical joke. The alternative is too sad to contemplate.

Lee Thacker said...

Couldn't agree more, Tony. Fair play to Matt for giving his ridiculous message a fair, reasoned and highly entertaining response.

Anonymous said...

Just to make sure I've got this straight:

David Johnson's multi-page, mostly non-sensical religious rant--okay to make fun of

Dave Sim's multi-page, mostly (entirely?) non-sensical religious rants--not okay to make fun of

Is that about right?

Alright,
Grady.

JLH said...

Grady,

Dave is commenting on scripture, the author(s) of which are not around to argue with. When people like Damian come around to bash Dave on his commentaries, they aren't arguing point of facts, they're arguing that their opinions are more valid than his opinions and he should shut up because he's crazy for not having the same opinions on these things that they have.

Johnson is misreading, if not outright lying about, facts on record. Things Dave and others have written or done that are available to us to see that he is mistaken about. Nobody is "making fun of" Johnson for this that I've seen. The people Johnson is addressing are correcting him.

Also, nobody asked Johnson to fax or email them 20 page letters. Dave was asked to provide his commentaries for this site. Nobody is forcing you to read it every Sunday (unless they are. Blink once for yes, twice for "Matt Dow has a gun to my head"). It doesn't harm anyone for existing, unless you truly believe that thoughts counter to your own are dangerous. It's almost like you lot are afraid of Dave's opinions. Like if Dave is allowed to discuss religion uncontested, his viewpoints will overtake society and will damn us all! Oh, if not for the brave contrarians who dare to lambaste Dave for being nuts, there would be no personal freedom anywhere ever!

Get the fuck over yourselves.

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

Dominick G.: I think Damian would be well-advised to steer clear of this one, even if he does enjoy a good fisking. David J. appears to be a deeply troubled individual.

JLH: Poor little snowflake, someone criticized your Daddy! If that's what you think people like me are doing in response to Dave's comments, you need to learn how to read and how to think -- a problem you share with Dave. Nobody is criticizing Dave for not having the same opinions as they do; we're criticizing Dave for illogical, poor, and non thinking.

Of course Dave is allowed to discuss his one-man, cobbled-together religion. He's not allowed to demand that people agree with it or respect it. (At most (and at least), he is allowed to demand that people respect his right to hold his beliefs.) Society is certainly in no danger of his viewpoints taking over.

-- Damian