Tuesday 14 January 2020

A Moment (heh.) of Clarity

Hi, Everybody!

Cerebus Archive Number Eight: Women

The Varking Dead

And Friend to the Blog, Greg Hyland is running the next volume of The Monster Atlas on Kickstarter.

There's a GoFundMe for Blair Kitchen's family, thanks to anybody who's donated.
_____________________________

Last Friday, I teased "Next Time: I've had a moment (heh.) of clarity..."

And then didn't follow up, like a little bitch.

Anyway, I've had a Moment (heh.) of Clarity:

So, one of the big knocks on Cerebus is that at some point Dave goes nuts and the book becomes unreadable.

(Where in the 6000+ pages that is, nobody can agree on. I've seen people say that everything after High Society is crap...)
I mean, it's a hell of a place to check out...


I've always said, that I just can't understand that mindset.

But now I've had a moment (heh.) of Clarity.

And it's all thanks to Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker (sorta.)

See, I've seen the Rise of Skywalker twice now, and I don't like it.

I mean, it's a Star Wars movie, and there aren't really any bad Star Wars movies (let me stop you right there. In the Grand Scheme of Things, every Star Wars movie is better than 90% of the rest of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies out there.), but I just...don't...like...it...

And trying to codify WHY I don't like it, I was mentally writing a long rant that turned into a rant about why I REALLY don't like Avengers: Endgame and I HATE Spider-Man: Far From Home.

I've heard of Church & State as the jumping off point...
(Short version: Endgame goes on, at length, about how the world post Snap is a desolate Hellhole (remember all them boats around the Statue of Liberty? Or all the unpicked up trash that Ant-Man walks past?) and Stark won't help the team unless they keep this shithole planet like it is, instead of fixing it like the Avengers do in the comics. Basically, cementing Tony Stark's place as the biggest villain in the Marvel Movie Universe... And Spider-Man:Far From Home is just a giant goddamn clusterfuck: So, in the oh, I don't know, minute or so after Tony does HIS snap, but before he dies, he manages to get Nick Fury the glasses that control the Ultimate Weapon of Doom to give to a FUCKING HIGH SCHOOL KID WHO'S BEEN "DEAD" FOR FIVE YEARS!!!! (Mind you, Fury was fucking dead for the same amount of time.) And once Peter gets the magic glasses, the built in A.I. lets him hack into EVERYTHING, except the Stark Database that shows ex-employees like Mysterio. 

(God. Damn. Just typing that makes my head hurt...)

(I could go on. And on. And on...)

(Also, spoilers, I guess. (Although if you haven't seen either movie, just take my word for it, save your time for my fulfilling activities, like getting a root canal.))

Basically, at this point, I'm DONE with the Marvel Movie garbage. "But Matt, aren't you excited for the Black Widow movie, you did name your kid Natasha after the character?" Yeah, I did. But, no, I'm not. "But what about the Disney+ stuff?" Well, the Mandolorean is fucking excellent, but the Marvel stuff can go piss up a rope. I'm out!

Which, is when I had my epiphany regarding Cerebus.

I get it now. At some point in the series, Dave wrote or drew something that made you say,"Fuck it, I'm out!" And it was so horrible in your opinion, that it makes you question the earlier stuff you actually liked (Like how the hell does all of Tony Stark's armors get from Malibu to Florida in a manner of minutes, in Iron Man 3? It ain't like they can go suborbital and get there...)
"I'd stop after Jaka's Story." -some random person on the internet
Which can totally happen. I understand that now.

I'm not even gonna try and argue it anymore.

All I object to is people saying that where they dropped out is the absolute end point. If somebody asks about Cerebus, tell 'em you liked it up until a point. But then don't offer that point as the end of the quality, just say I liked up until a point, and I can't speak with authority about it after that.

If you want the series to end with a happy ending for Cerebus and Jaka, stop at Rick's Story. Dave says so.
Okay, I look forward to reading all the comments calling me every kind of crazy/stupid because I don't like Endgame and Far From Home...

Next Time: Hobbs and...the best post of 2020 (For REALS this time!)

4 comments:

Jeff said...

"Spiderman: Far From Home" sucked so much, it blew.

"Avengers: Endgame" was the end of plot points that had been building for a decade or more. It had some great stuff and some sucky stuff, but was good and entertaining, overall.

"Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" was a lot of fun, even though there were scenes that made me roll my eyes, like when those people were walking on the outside of the spaceship without wearing space suits.

"Once Upon A Time ... in Hollywood" was brilliant.

Birdsong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff said...

When I went to see "The Rise Of Skywalker", I told my date,"I've been watching these movies in theaters since before you were born."

Mind-boggling, it is.

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

I must take issue with one point. The only reason to say, "I liked up until a point, and I can't speak with authority about it after that," is if you stopped reading it at that point.

-- Damian