Tuesday 21 January 2020

The ol' AMOC Mailbag is BURSTING at the seams (it's a REALLY small bag...)

Hi, Everybody!

The Varking Dead (Man, the final order cut off has to be coming soon... nobody tells me anything...)

And Friend to the Blog, Greg Hyland is running the next volume of The Monster Atlas on Kickstarter. (Ten days to go, I better make sure I got money...)

The GoFundMe for Blair Kitchen's family.

Cerebus Archive Number Eight: Women (18 days to figure out which kidney to sell so I can get one of these...)

And F. Paul Wilson is selling his Cerebus #1. (I'm out, I was out before I saw how much it was going for, and now that I'm publicizing this, I'm definitely out. (Sorry Jeff?))
_________________________

Geez I got a lot in the Ol' AMOC Mailbag.

You're getting some now, and the rest on Saturday(?):
_________________________
Douglas Arthur commented on Oliver's last post:

And in music:
Dave Sim’s Lament by Flaming Schwarzkopf Experience!
https://youtu.be/CbIPauTAI08
You can find more on the faceybook...

Thank's Douglas!
_________________________

Byron Dunbar checks in with:
Horror-fantasy author Clive Barker (best known for creating the Hellraiser and Candyman horror film franchises) mentions familiarity with Cerebus here: http://www.clivebarker.info/intsrevel5b.html
TECHNICALLY he doesn't:
Click for the biggers...
 Mr Barker is ACTUALLY familiar with the From Hell Correspondence. (Just sayin'...)

Thanks Byron!
________________________

That's six moments, and my daddy done taught me to never go over a six-pack.

See ya Friday!

Next Time: Hobbs. He's got something that I'm gonna ruin for him... (he'll see...)

4 comments:

Brian West said...

Manly, Final Orders Cutoff for VARKING DEAD #1 is 01-23-2020.

Byron said...

I'm pretty sure Barker is familiar with at least some of Cerebus, the line "Dave Sim who writes Cerebus" suggests familiarity with it. (I think he probably would have said something more like "this guy who does something called Cerberus the Aardvark" if he didn't know the comic).

Barker was always a big fan of comic books (particularly when he rose to prominance in the '80s, he would work with Eclipse on many comic books) and animation, including stuff with animal characters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hphykQqVqKo

I think if Barker didn't know Cerebus or Sim's work, he probably would have referred to the From Hell dialogue as a fax-based interview with Alan Moore by some guy, but he seems to put equal weight on Dave Sim's expression of his views on religion and magic.

I am not claiming Barker is a massive Cerebus aficionado (although who knows; many of his contemporaries like Gaiman and Moore have only glowing things to say about Cerebus) but as a comic book fan who came to prominence in the 1980s, I'm sure he's at least read High Society, Jaka's Story, and the other most highly regarded volumes of Cerebus.

P.S.

Byron, not Bryon! Like the poet! (Who ironically--given we're talking about a horror writer--wrote the first modern vampire story!)

Jeff said...

Wait. To quote a friend, "what's the whozzit, now?" Byron (the Lord) wrote the "first modern vampire story"?

Source, showing it predating Stoker? And was it a story, given Byron's predilections to poetry, and homosexuality?

Byron said...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragment_of_a_Novel

Looks like it's a little more complex than what I originally stated. Byron didn't actually finish this story, Polidori did, but despite being finished by other hands, Byron was the first to introduce the modern conception of the vampire that was later adopted in Dracula and Carmilla. But it definitely predates both, having been written in 1819, which is around the time horror was emerging as its own distinct literary genre apart from folklore.