Saturday 23 January 2021

Geez, who fired the cleaning lady?

Hi, Everybody!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner:
Andrew has won:
For $150 American Dollars!

So, Andrew, if you could email momentofcerebus@gmail.com I'll put you in touch with Carson and you two can hash out all the details and leave me out of it...

Winner Winner Pinwheel Spinner
So on this month's Please Hold For Dave Sim, I instituted a contest:
First person to find the backcover Dave was talking about and sends it in to momentofcerebus@gmail.com gets a Cerebus in Hell? rarity, either Batvark: PENIS (Virgin Cover), Hermann #1 (HRM Edition), or the misprinted Cerebus in Hell? 2021. (Their choice.) ((the later two signed by Manly Matt Dow.))
And wouldn't ya know, Michael R. of Easton Pennsylvania (AMOC fan #1) caused AND won this contest:
Hi Matt!

Dave was correct. it was Joe Kubert and not Will Eisner. I guess that's why I didn't bring " A Contract With God" for him to sign. Even though I was a fan of of Sgt. Rock and Our world At War when I was real young, I didn't own anything that Joe could sign. I'm pretty sure that I still don't. So I met Dave first, spoke with Joe and then moved on to Stephen Bissette. I must have some kind of dyslexia. We had a camera and didn't take one single photo for proof.

But onto the contest. Cerebus issue 229 on the back cover DOES show Dave, Joe Steve and John Severin which I did attend, but screwed up the line up and thinking Will for Joe.

Michael
And sent in an image:
So he wins. Michael (I know your reading this... Hi Grace!) lemme know which one you want: 
Batvark: PENIS (Virgin Cover), 
Hermann #1 (HRM Edition), 
the misprinted Cerebus in Hell? 2021 #1.

He also said:
Hi Matt!
Just flipping through the issue before I put it away and noticed that Jeff Seiler from Sedalia, MO had written Dave a letter. Just in case if Jeff wants to find that issue and sees what he had written. It's also the issue that Dave sits down at the bar, orders a Coor's Light and has his talk with Cerebus.
Michael
Pretty sure Jeff knows, Michael, pretty sure he knows...

AND, frequent AMOC Special Friend of the Day, Jesse Lee Herndon sent in:
Hi Matt,

Enclosed is the back cover of issue 229, with Dave and company at the Heavy Metal signing. I assume someone beat me to it, but here it is again anyway!
Click for bigger

Well, never let it be said that I let a Special Friend down, so Jesse wins too.
Jesse, pick one:
Batvark: PENIS (Virgin Cover), 
Hermann #1 (HRM Edition), 
the misprinted Cerebus in Hell? 2021 #1.
(And yes, you can pick the same one as Michael. I got it covered.)

Ask not for Whom the Bell Tolls, it tolls for the Old Man (the Sea not-so-much...)
(I forget the handle I gave him) Sean Robinson (I've typed "Michael" too many times today...) sent me:
Hemingway in Comics by Robert K. Elder
Check out the blurb:
Ernest Hemingway casts a long shadow in literature—reaching beyond his status as a giant of 20th-century fiction and a Nobel Prize winner—extending even into comic books. Appearing variously with Superman, Mickey Mouse, Captain Marvel, and Cerebus, he has even battled fascists alongside Wolverine in Spain and teamed up with Shade to battle adversaries in the Area of Madness.
Where can you get this expansive tome that Sean helped get pages for (And I scanned some of the covers. Because it's what I do...)? Well, accordig to Robert K. Elder:
And yes, please support these local bookstores, which have signed copies and ship internationally:
https://www.booktable.net/
https://www.centuriesandsleuths.com/
Best,
Rob
So, skip Amazon, shop small and get 'em signed(!)

Coming Soon:
As I say when I pass a Fax from Dave along: "Incoming Message From The Big Giant Head!":

So, ya know..."Heads Up."

Cerebus in Hell?
Order now:
Possibly still available to order:
And coming the first Wednesday in February: Cerebus in Hell? 2021 (the cover screw up delayed it a week...)

Rigamarole:

Your store will be on sale:
Jan 13 – 16
Jan 27 – 29
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off! That means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more.


Next Time: Oliver and links.

9 comments:

Brian West said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian West said...

Hey, Matt, FLAMING - as of MLK Day - is no longer available to reserve by the public at large.

However, if a consumer should either whisper sweet nothings into or gently twist the ear of their favorite comics shop clerk an LCS would still be able order some copies.

FINAL ORDER CUTOFF to order FLAMING CEREBUS COMICS #1 (MARCH 2021) for retailers will be Thursday, 28 January 2021.

Carson Grubaugh said...

Matt & Andrew,

All I saw by the end of the day of the 19th was Ted's bid of $100 and that transaction has already been closed and the art shipped.

So sorry to Andrew for this mishap. Contact me at clubgrubbug@gmail.com and we can arrange a replacement.

This error makes me skeptical to keep running the auctions in the comments like this. Does anyone have a better idea to try out?

Apologies,
Carson

Birdsong said...

Put them on eBay, Carson. Factor in 10% for eBay fees or do what I do and give 10% to charity and they waive the fees. Send the link to Matt and he can run it here until the auction ends.

Here's an example. I give 10% of all comic book sales to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233800708703

If you don't like eBay, there's ComicLink.com or ComicConnect.com or Heritage.

Jeff said...

Yeah, Michael, I know. But, thanks.

Jeff said...

I spent an afternoon at S.P.A.C.E sitting and talking with Bill Loebs, back in the aughts. One of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet.

Carson Grubaugh said...

Hi David,

Thanks for the recommendations. I will check out comicslink and comiconnect and see what they offer.

Best

Dave Philpott said...

I have a bunch of pages and covers from the issue's published by A-V. If they can help with this project let me know.

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Dave Philpott,

Yes, they would. Send me an email at momentofcerebus@gmail.com, and I'll tie everybody together.

Matt