Saturday 3 April 2021

Please Hold For Dave Sim 4/2021 (And the big contest winner!)

Hi, Everybody!

Who won my Insult me on the Internet! Win fun prizes! contest? Well, watch the videos and see them all and I'll tell you who won at the end:

"Watch videos? What do you think I am, some kind of Savage! Podcast or get the @#$% out!!!"

Okay, "audio guys " first:


Now the videos:

Seiler leads us off with two, count 'em TWO phone questions:

Part 2, "RSS" asks:
Question for Dave: Do you consider anti-work and anti-ability (again, I've seen lots of both) to be implicit in your consideration of feminism's negative impact on society? Certainly your own work/ability/success was impeded, at the very least.
Part 3, Margaret posted:
We last saw pages from Dave Sim’s 22nd notebook, which covers Cerebus #186 through 201, back in February of 2019 in Leftovaries Feast Fer Evryone Eltz. The notebook started with 80 pages of which 71 pages were scanned, the rest were missing or blank.

I noticed that other than the cover, the first page from the notebook was #37. So I took a look at the first 36 pages. All but one was just a wall of text. Page #36 had a sketch and then some text. Ahh, the tiny type of Reads. Going through those 36 pages, I noticed that swiggle that shows up in Reads, that separates bits of the story. The decorative flourish:

I wonder if he wrote all 36 pages at once, or went back over time to complete it? Looking at the notebook pages, it appears he went back after he wrote it and did some mark ups, though of them do appears to be done as he was writing. And yet, with the mark-ups, there are still differences from the finished text.

To which Dan E. asks:
He writes, "Dave Sim", crosses it out and substitutes, "Victor Davis". But earlier in the page, he had written "Victor Davis". Has Dave ever addressed the concept of "Victor Davis" substituting for his name, where everyone else (Gerhard, Alan Moore) appears "as is"?

And, it sounds like a good Please Hold question for Dave, "How much of the 36 pages was written in the first pass? How much editing was there?"
Part 4, It must be Please Hold, because here’s Michael R., Easton Pennsylvania’s answer to George Bailey:
Hi Matt!

Questions for Dave.

Hi Dave!
In Church and State volume 1, page 507, Weisshaupt reveals to Cerebus that Suenteus Po was his uncle.
1-Is this why Weisshaupt believed that he "was fated to be the redeemer"?
2-Was Suenteus Po a "true" uncle to Weisshaupt? Or was is an illusion? Or something else?
3-Who were Weisshaupt's parents?

All the best and Happy April Fool's Day!!
Michael R.
Part 5, John G. asks:
Hello. I hope this e-mail finds you well.

Question: Has Dave ever met Jim Steranko?

I recently picked up Nick Fury #3 to have as a companion to my Cerebus #2. Love them both and looking forward to the Remastred Cerebus #2. Just looking at Jim Steranko’s bio, he seems to be quite a character. I’m thinking if Dave met Steranko sometime in the ‘70s or ‘80s, then two A-type personalities like Jim and Dave would either have gotten along really well or ended up in a swordfight. Just wondering.

Thanks for the time,
- J.G.
Part 6, Michael G asks:

I will definitely take more Dave Sim comic art commentaries like these. Keep 'em comimg!

So here's a question Dave might consider answering, if it's not already in a commentary yet to be posted:
What's Tom Orzechowski's role in the look of these pages? Dave makes it seem as if Claremont placed the exposition boxes and dialogue/thought balloons. Would that normally be the letterer's job, the penciller/layout/artist's, or, as Dave... infers(? implies?) the author's? Orzechowski's letters had by this point long been as much an identifying visual element of Professor Claremont's X-comics as any Byrne/Austin or Cockrum-styled art. So much so that I assume (infer?) that he could be trusted as much to make those placement decisions as Wein to make hers. Anyway, my question at the top is fishing for Dave to comment on Orzechowski's lettering in these specific comics or in comics in general.

I'm sort of reading along with Dave in a Comixology edition of these New Mutants issues and just to underscore my point above, I'm about to read the annual and it actually doesn't have Orzechowski lettering. It makes the visual back to McLeod's art for that story even more jarring. It's like looking at X-comics from Earth-Two or something.


Part 7, Steve Peters asks:
Hey Dave:

There's been something I've been wanting to say re: "Women read minds" for a long time now. I don't know if you share the Kingsley character's ideas on the subject, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I feel like I've probably experienced that phenomenon many, many times, but there's one instance that has always resonated more than any other. Like most red-blooded males, I have a tendency to check attractive women out when they're not looking. There was one occasion, many years ago, in which I was staring intently at a really hot woman who was walking ahead of me. Out of nowhere, she suddenly whipped her head around, looked straight at me, and just GLARED at me, really angrily, too.

I eventually learned to look away when looking at a woman if one started to turn her head. As if I'd just been looking around when she turned to look at me. And on some occasions I've seen them turn and look at me out of the corner of my eye.

It reminds of interviews I've seen of women who were attacked by a stalker, and they talk about, say, walking down a dark street or an alley and suddenly having the feeling of being watched. What is that? How can they sense it? Beats me. I mean, I'm no stalker, just a bit of a creep, perhaps, but I never had any intentions beyond looking. Yet it still seems like some sort of self-preservation mechanism.
---Steve Peters
This reminded me of Tracey Walter’s line from Repo Man:
A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Part 7,And we bring it all home:
"So who won? WHO WON?!?"

Well, there were 31 entries from six people, and I said there were gonna be four winners. I don't wanna screw over the two other guys, so everybody wins a painting. Two guys are just getting smaller paintings than 8x8...

And the Grand Prize holy crap that's amazing, winner is: Rich L.
I laughed WAY too hard at this. Plus, he got the "Unfair setting the bar" advantage of being first.

Thanks to all the entrants: Larry Wooten, David Birdsong, Brian West, Michael R. of Easton, PA, and Ralph S. You're all winners in my book. (Not Grand Prize Winners, but winners none the less...)

Rigamarole:
The Strange Death of Alex Raymond
Cerebus in Hell?:
Strangers in Cerebus Get your orders in by April, 22!

Hemingway in Comics: https://www.booktable.net/ https://www.centuriesandsleuths.com/


Up to 35% off site-wide:
April 7 – 8
April 14 – 16
April 22 – 24
Up to 30% off site-wide:
April 28 – 29
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off -- that means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more!

Next Time: Oliver and the winner of his big contest...

28 comments:

Glen said...

Matt:

Did you receive my entries? I didn't see them in the videos.
I sent it on March 6th to thevarkwars@gmail.com

RSS said...

Matt, please note (hope this is doable):

"I want a painting but am no good at meme. I'll have to wait for the next contest or super sale."
Rich, if I win anything at all (Brian seems to think I have a chance), you'll get your painting!
https://momentofcerebus.blogspot.com/2021/03/another-hot-canadian-price-variant.html

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Glen,

Apparently I didn't.

Send them again, and copy them to momentofcerebus@gmail.com and I'll see what I can do.

Matt

RSS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RSS said...

[Edit:] And yes, still another question consumed by the politics singularity; "extreme progressive viewpoint" or 1:1 (feet on ground); case in point: *still* waiting for the minders to green light Dave's house assessment (by me); basic, 1:1

Sensing the above (barely sensing, at that point) my original offer (on Dave's machine): this message is *just* about the house... witness now the power: none may escape the Vark Terra!

RSS said...

Spot the movie challenge: "You have the soul of a bookkeeper, Saxonbourg!"

RSS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RSS said...

Dave might like this: "The term meme is a shortening (modeled on gene) of mimeme, which comes from Ancient Greek mīmēma (μίμημα; pronounced [míːmɛːma]), meaning 'imitated thing', itself from mimeisthai (μιμεῖσθαι, 'to imitate'), from mimos (μῖμος, 'mime')."

RSS said...

Correction: Re meme, "The word meme itself is a neologism coined by Richard Dawkins, originating from his 1976 book The Selfish Gene" who himself says me-me (might be spotty recollection by me)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

Glen said...

Matt:

I sent the original email & attachments to momentofcerebus@gmail.com

Everything is cool.

RSS said...

Also: been pestering at "Strange Brain Parts" for him to review some Jean Giraud
The Incal: A Metaphysical Space Epic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwQ1W6K_yds
Yay!

RSS said...

Difficult to address all that's wrong with Dave's interpretation (without a transcript, which might one day be available), and also misdirection, as I see it, so for the moment we'll try this (as with Matt and armloads of beechwood): Okay, Dave, those twelve bundles of shingles up that ladder; yes, I *know* that's three stories and an attic; off you go! There's a good grasshopper...

I should add that for political reasons, some people, or many people (including law enforcement), want to jump queue on the law; at this end we'll stick with the law, thanks just the same

RSS said...

#youguessedit
I do think that some people (or a lot of people) try to own "manly" without actually earning it. That would be my own interpretation of "grasshopper"
#politicalsuicide (hides under desk)

RSS said...

"$30 hoodies" reminds me, I should (again) point out some local (Varkdom) anti-capitalism behaviour from the regional police force: "stop wearing a hoodie" (don't they know about AMOC?) - sic 'em Jeff ("fight the real enemy")

Michael Grabowski said...

Thanks for the A to my Q, Dave & Matt!

Michael Grabowski said...

And Happy Easter!

RSS said...

Thanks to Dave for his reply.
Again, overall I can't agree that breaking the law is okay, no matter who you are.
They tried that in the States, just recently, didn't they?

Jeff said...

RSS? Please try to be coherent and on-topic.

I suppose, perhaps, that you're making an oblique reference to th Chauvin murder trial, although George wasn't wearing a hoodie.

I am a white man who wears a hoodie all winter here in Mpls. I won't stop until it's 80° outside. Let them come for me.

Jeff said...

RSS? Please try to be coherent and on-topic.

I suppose, perhaps, that you're making an oblique reference to th Chauvin murder trial, although George wasn't wearing a hoodie.

I am a white man who wears a hoodie all winter here in Mpls. I won't stop until it's 80° outside. Let them come for me.

RSS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RSS said...

[Edit] I wasn't referring to the Chauvin trial

Jeff said...

Okay, having listened again to Dave's answer to my second question (about Hemingway) and how Dave said that, when it came to Hemingway, LGBQT, etc, some more letters should be added.

I would add, based on reading the annotations of "Form and Void":

C-F

Figure it out. Hint: Perhaps there's a reason why so many cats in Key West, especially those at the Hemingway House, have six toes on each paw.

Jeff said...

I think that it also warms the cockles (wtf are those?) of Dave Sim's heart that he has Jeff Seiler's phone number and can call him whenever he wants to. Or not.

BTW, Jeff is not even 20,000 leagues close to Jim in terms of talent.

Bu. Hey. Jeff's phone number is in Dave's Rolodex. AND, Jeff had better get a birthday call from Dave at the end of the month. It's been too long since last we spoke and laughed.

RSS said...

Sycophantry has nothing to fear from me...
I don't agree that Engish is meant to be 'machine language' (perfect form in every case) or likewise that humans are meant to live a formulaic existence (religion)
Also, I'm pretty sure that people on the ground tend to have a better appreciation of local events

And again:
"Comments that veer uninterestingly off-topic will be deleted.
The site administrator's decision is final and not up for discussion.
Do not post comments on this site if you cannot handle this."

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

RSS is off 'is meds again, I see ...

-- D.

RSS said...

LOL Damian, isn't that what they say about you (with very little reason)?

RSS said...

And *still* waiting for the minders to green light the house assessment, which is hardly rocket science; again, straightforward, 1:1

Anonymous said...

In the days before the internet meme was born, meme was taught in philosophy courses. We said meme as in "beam." I impressed some people at work one day by defining meme as "an idea that sort of floats around." This must have been early on in the explosion of meme on the internet because it's odd that two media reps in a Fortune 50 were discussing the word. Or their reaction at a terribly over-read and educated junior employee summing up their discussion as I walked by. By the way, my next job in the department was running a corporate website, much like what Matt is doing now. It's a difficult job and no matter what you do someone will complain about "mistakes." A real example here from far back in time..."Taiwan is a province of China. You're little thumbnail 150px x 150px map shouldn't have it in a different color." He was upset too! And I had no idea if the guy was just a worker bee like me or somebody high enough in the food chain that his opinion mattered. Considering that he was educated in China, I am 100 percent certain that I could have detailed a better history of Taiwan than could.

Did I really win? Amazing!

I just listened to the call-in. I found Dave's recollection of the French word interesting. As far as Wikipedia I would not try to fix it to the Greek. While it is a recent word it predates the internet itself let alone user-friendly graphical tools. You have to learn ASCHI art before you get the meme template folks.

Rich.