Friday 5 March 2021

Another Hot Canadian Price Variant (Dave's Weekly Update #381​)

Hi, Everybody!

So, on Margaret's post yesterday, "Anonymous" commented:
Margaret is the only reason for AMOC to keep going. The rest of it is trash.
And I was a tad...perturbed when I read it this morning. (I get all the comments emailed to me. Because I'm a masochist...)

My first reaction was "Ok, I just won't post for a week and see how he/she/they like it."

But I can't do that, it'd be unfair to the vocal minority who LIKE my bull$#!*.

Then I thought, "Ok, I'll make mention of Anonymous' comment and let the usual gang of well wishers tell me how great I am."

But I'm not doing THAT, because I don't need my ego stroked that bad...

And my third reaction was to take stock and remember that there's something that nobody can take away from me:
Mainly, that I've sold more paintings in my lifetime than Vincent Van Gogh did. He sold one (possibly two) and I've sold three! (Thanks to Larry, Margaret and Scott!)

So, with that in mind, I've decided to do another A Moment of Cerebus Contest!
Here's the deal:
  1. Create a "meme" of how terrible A Moment of Cerebus is (specifically under my "Rein of Terror"). Like this:
    As an example...

  2.  Email it to thevarkwars@gmail.com, NOT the regular momentofcerebus@gmail.com. 
  3. I, and my team of unwitting volunteers (come on Mags, you know you wanna be a judge...) will pick a grand prize winner, and three runners-up.
  4. What does the "Grand Prize Winner" get? An 8"x8" painting of any image from Cerebus painted by me. Like these:
 





AND, one copy of every CiH? book I've got in the AMOChive: Vark Wars, Vark Wars: Walt's Empire Strikes Back, Batvark: PENIS, Batvark: PENIS (Virgin), Hermann, Hermann (HRM Edition), Spider-Whore, CiH? 2021 the misprint, CiH? 2021 the right version, and anything else I find in there. All signed by me, or "slab-able" (except Walt's Empire, that's signed by Dave already...)
AND a copy of High Society 12th printing with a "The Hell it's yours" Cerebus bookplate, signed by Dave Sim, and hand-lettered with your name by me.
     5. The runners up get an 8"x8" painting and MY pick of ONE of the CiH? books.
     6. Contest is open to everybody. Even the Judges. (What? My Contest my rules.)
     7. Contest ends the on the 30th of March, Winner announced on the April 2020 Please Hold For Dave Sim. (Is Dave a judge? Maybe... (I ain't asked him yet...))
     8. No limit on submissions, but you can only win once.
     9. And if you're artistic and can't use photoshop, drawings/paintings/poems are all acceptable.
     10. Good luck! (And remember, I suck! (apparently...))

Oh, and Anonymous?

HR says I gotta say:
We value your input, and your comment will be reviewed and brought to the attention of the responsible party. We apologize for any inconvenience, and wish to remind you:
________________________________________________________________________


It was to update everybody on the remastering of Cerebus/High Society. And then he just...ran with it.

Just thought I'd point that out.

And Spawn #10 is shipping, as they said in their last update:
Hi everyone,

This is the update so many of you have been patiently waiting for.

Spawn 10 is printed, bound and going on the truck Friday. The trip from the printer to our office should take about a week which means we expect to start packing your orders next weekend!

The 24 page Spawn 10 supplemental books arrived today and they look even better than expected!

Have a look at the picture below for a sneak peek!

This one is super rare at only 300 copies. If you missed out, we do have a few copies available here: https://www.cerebusoverload.com

We will post our next update with photos when the books arrive next week.

Thank you again for your support!

ALSO: they let me know:
The 64 page HS Notebooks also arrived in 2 cover variants.
The black cover is limited to 65, the white cover is limited to 200.
There were 500 of these books (250 of each variant) but half the print run was damaged in shipping and sent to the recycling bin, so now we get an accidental rare book.
Good luck getting THAT slabbed in 9.8...

Ditto...

I got an email saying that the copy of the Notebook I ordered (funny story, I thought it was a blank notebook with a High Society cover, so I bought one, because I can always use another empty notebook... I never claimed to be smart...) has shipped, so if you bought any of the add-ons, you probably did too...

Rigamarole:
Hemingway in Comics: https://www.booktable.net/ https://www.centuriesandsleuths.com/


The AMOC TeePublic Shoppe will be on sale:
Your store will be on sale:
March 10 – 12
March 24 – 26
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off! That means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more.

And the OTHER reason I can't stop posting for a week,

Next Time: Dave and I talked yesterday...

41 comments:

Margaret said...

Ohhhh, I so want to be a judge of this meme contest. I'm going to do it for the lolz as the kids say.

Michael R. said...

VERY grateful that you the take time from your family life, work life and life in general to post ... every ... frickin' ... day.

Birdsong said...

Anonymous it totally wrong. Every time I see Margaret's weekly entries I vomit. Or I drank a bugid of something the night before, but I'm blaming it on Margaret. She's got big shoulders and can take it. Unlike cowardly little Anonymous-es who won't leave their real name.

Unknown said...

Trolls gotta troll.

I want a painting but am no good at meme. I'll have to wait for the next contest or super sale.

Rich.

Dion said...

Illegitimi non carborundum

Jeff Seiler said...

Okay, so, I think you meant,
In the recent post you sent;
"Reign of Terror,"
And not "Rein of Terror.
It is a common error.

But I think it shows
What a crock of shit
we git with AMOC;

Except for when,
Like the Duck,
You run Amuck.

So, for now, alas,
You get a pass.

Jeff said...

My feeble attempt.

Do I win?

Jeff said...

Oopsy! Okay, I'll write out my doggerel and then email it to the requisite address before the 30th. But you did say that a poem qualifies for a chance to have an opportunity to possibly be selected as a finalist in the competition to ultimately be judged as a possible winner, right?

Anonymous said...

So your response is to have a trash contest? Rather than insightful writing, clever analysis, or interesting artwork, you're going with trashy memes?

Bold strategy, let's see if it pays off.

RSS said...

Er, please excuse the intrusion, but I'm pretty sure that's "run amok", and uh, Google agrees with me #sorryabouthat
My two cents

Margaret said...

Anon @ 08:31am - AMoC is always looking for more content, if you have some " insightful writing, clever analysis, or interesting artwork" please feel free to email it to the blog. I can't speak for Matt, but I'd think he'd be willing to "take a day off" and post it. Plus, the rest of us Cerebites would love to see it. At least I would.

RSS said...

My bad, apparently it *can* be spelled "amuck"
Kudos

Margaret said...

Oh, and Birdsong - I remember to this day a piece of art that almost made me vomit. Well, it literally made my stomach churn the art was that. . .intense. It was during the litgraphic show, and was from the book Sheep of Fools. Though an upset belly isn't my intent. . .Perhaps drink less of that apricot brandy? :D

john g. said...

Worry not about the anonymouses (?) of the world. It’s always been easier to tear down than to build up. There’s thousands of us out here who enjoy this blog (I don’t actually know that to be true, but... I like it!). Also, AMOC may be the best deal in entertainment. My subscription costs me exactly zero dollars per month.

Anonymous said...

"Plump Rump" Dow is like 3 mean comments away from only being friends with people who sign his petition

RSS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RSS said...

My usual "Email follow-up" tick box omission exercise
And trim some fat while I'm at it (see below)

Hey diddle diddle, it's Matt in the middle
He's not so bad as he thinks
Just one little sleight, he's up for a fight
And Moment of Cerebus stinks!

Jeff said...

Not bad, RSS. But I win.

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Jeff,

Read the rules again, Shecky.

https://youtu.be/HaoySOGlZ_U

Manly Matt Dow

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

But, ya know, feel free to FOLLOW the rules and ya got a shot, same as everybody who FOLLOWS THE RULES!

Manly Matt Dow
(Not "Plump Rump". Manly. Says so on my T-Shirt...)

RSS said...

Was the fizzy drinks got him...
It's a sad day... sniff

RSS said...

Might need a bit of work, when's the deadline, again?

Asylum, in the farther reach
About the Ungulate to teach
Professor, the manly Dow
To show the screwy masses how
The classes, from low to high
Might also try, beyond their skill
His stumbling boots to fill

RSS said...

I'm thinking "Fat asses" might be correct (line 5), I don't know (though I can extrapolate; too late to hide those pics now), but might be a bit too personal, in the traditional sense... (will withhold further edits (if any) until the deadline)

Asylum, in the farther reach
About the Ungulate to teach
Professor, the manly Dow
Will show the screwy masses how
Badasses, from low to high
Might also try beyond their skill
His stumbling boots to fill

RSS said...

"30th of March" - got it!

Brian West said...

RSS you’re a regular Etrigan here with your meter there. Impressed.

RSS said...

Er, I don't think we're allowed to play together anymore

Brian West said...

RSS, I think so long as we don’t beer too far off topic we should be ok. Think giving one a compliment on his poetry for an art contest is not too far a field from the flock.

However, if you are not comfortable interacting with me anymore I would absolutely respect that choice on your part. No questions asked.

Brian West said...

Veer off, I meant to type.

RSS said...

Say, this is kinda fun! Matt, you suck! (hey, it's a directive/contest)

Drink not the aardvark swill
Follow but thine own will
For this reviewers bring:
Manly poisons everything

RSS said...

Er, I'm riffing on a certain person's power play, and on Led Zeppelin, of course
But I guess it was a Wiccan (from Washington State, seem to recall) who said:
"We may forget what people say; we never forget how they make us feel."
Good observation for this particular asylum, I'd say.
Where the strawman and subtext are still the weapons of choice, evidently.
Very much like Dave, at least in my own perception/experience
#asylum

Brian West said...

Well done, RSS. That is a “trash” poem about the blog if there ever was one.

RSS said...

Aw shucks, turns beet red...

RSS said...

And may I add: Matt's doing such a sucky job ;) he doesn't even have an AMOC group chat
And yes, the same way that constant praise goes flat (ahem), repeating a negative theme too many times can cause bad feelings...

It's my own fault, really, for not invoking Dave ('people are so sensitive') when I should have:

------------------------------------------------------------
"Margaret is the only reason for AMOC to keep going. The rest of it is trash."

And I was a tad...perturbed when I read it this morning. (I get all the comments emailed to me. Because I'm a masochist...)
------------------------------------------------------------

He's so sensitive!

RSS said...

Have moved the 'poeming' effort to another blog (which resourceful people can find on their own (hint: it's just a couple clicks away)); again, sorry for the flooding (and yet again, Matt might not agree with "flooding" or even that it's a bad thing)
Thanks Matt!

RSS said...

'Registering' a new one (so no one can swipe it from the blog):

There once was a blogger named Matt
His brain like his tuchus was fat
He swelled up his blog
With everything hog
And his readership numbers went flat

RSS said...

Encore:

Moments of porcine terror
The world to make jolly
The Dow thinks not an error
Sees not the folly in swiping
Spends all his days in griping
This talent should be mine
Say the aardvark kind
And to us the world resign

RSS said...

NB last time I traced anything (a comic book) I was five years old

RSS said...

I'd quietly email these to thevarkwars@gmail.com, but where's the entertainment value in that? I ask you. Bit of Cerebus creep in this one (leaning less to the blog and more to the story); will strive to remain on course...

Jingle bells, aardvark smells
Manly made a mess
Varkmobile lost its wheel
And Fred now wears a dress

RSS said...

Speaking of Cerebus proper, when I get started on poetry, again it's kind of autocatalytic; had a thought to start a very long 'epic' poem, like the old Norse poems; got this far (I may yet do more):

Lament for an ungulate

O Vark of Thunder
The years have laid thee ashes under
Thy glory now forgot, forlorn
Save only these, thy helm and horn

[Matt, this is for Dave, if you can get it to him. Thanks Matt!]

RSS said...

"I want a painting but am no good at meme. I'll have to wait for the next contest or super sale."
Rich, if I win anything at all (Brian seems to think I have a chance), you'll get your painting!

RSS said...

What I actually *do* day to day (when not moonlighting as a 'poet'):
In spite of the local anti-work, anti-ability, anti-social crowd (the format evolved as a response to their ongoing efforts, since 2000)

Van Terra GUI: This PSD has a layer count of 1,275, 81 characters showing at any one time
https://rssoverflow.blogspot.com/2021/03/van-terra-gui-this-psd-has-layer-count.html