Saturday 6 March 2021

Please Hold For Dave Sim 3/2021


That missing "y" is gonna haunt me to the grave...
First up: Audio!

And then for you Visual kinds:

Part one:
Spawn #10 Update from Dave.
Aardvark/Vanaheim signature certificate.
And then Jeff Seiler phones it in again...

Here's a signed cover:

And the certificate:


Part two: 
Dan asks:
Hi Dave. Thanks for your answer last month about the Mary Heimingway/Ernestway dilemma in Latter Days. It makes sense, as Cerebus says the encounter with the former really happened, and the encounter with the latter was a dream.

My question this time is one you might not get often: Why are the last few pages of issue #186 almost entirely italicized?

I have two theories. One is that the last few pages are a direct continuation of the (also italicized) first paragraph of #186, with everything in-between being what Viktor Davis had written on paper. The other is that the last few pages are narrated by the Female Void character. Her dialogue also seemed to be italicized before (see page 206 of the remastered Reads for an example), so maybe it's her that's talking.

Have fun letting me know how off the mark I am.
And, as I phrased it in my fax to Dave:
It wouldn’t be Please Hold For Dave Sim without a question from down Easton, Pennsylvania way:
Hi Dave!

I noticed when you had written or talked about Alex Raymond's photo realistic inking that you never (hardly ever?) mention Alex Raymond's pencils skills on anything he had drawn before he inked the pages? It seems that you favor his inking over his pencils. Are there even his penciled pages that exist of his to compare before and after he had inked them?

Michael R.

Part three:
Steve asks:
So for Dave:

On eBay, seller "cerebusoverload" recently listed multiple versions of the proofs for Cerebus #1. The first version had, according to the item description, only 8 copies printed ~~ so there's now a new holder for the Most Rare Cerebus #1 In Existence title.

Cerebusoverload had two copies of the 8 of this first proof for sale; I asked the seller where the other six copies were. The seller replied that you had one copy, a fan / collector of long standing (I won't give the name here to protect their privacy) had one copy - but the seller did not know where the other four copies were.

Do you know where they've gotten to?

By the way, the two copies of Proof #1 on eBay sold to one person.

Thanks as always, Dave!
Steve

Hey again Matt -

So, a correction on my question: the Publisher also has one copy of the Proof #1, which leaves three 'out in the wild" ~~ and does Dave know who has them?

I'm also curious, with the eBay / cerebusoverload sales, how much of those sales make it back to Dave?

as ever -
Steve
As I said, I got this:


I got to ask The Waverly Press if this is one of the "eight"...

The Great Hero of Cerebus fandom (well I like him…) Sean Robinson asks:
Hello Dave!

Having spent the past five years with voracious young readers in my house, I've spent a lot of time reading (and rereading) (and re-reading) various classic children's books, and simultaneously examining their art in minute detail.

Which has occasionally led me to seeing visual storytelling parallels with your comic work!

So I guess my question could be one of two questions. Either the broad version--

"What children's books did you read that you recall today, and did any have any influence on you, as far as you know?"
or the very specific version--
"Did you ever read and do you recall

-- the Babar books (specifically the first one!)

-- Go Dog Go (written and drawn by the great PD Eastman)

-- Eloise (drawn by Hilary Knight)

-- Madeline

-- Calico the Wonder Horse
(If anyone is curious, I'll compile the visual resonances sometime)

Lastly, if you have time for a second (or third) question--

Do you recall where the device of having graphics inside of word or thought balloons came from? I.e. the device you use on "Night on the Town" most prominently, as well as some other places. Any memories of this device and possible origins of it?

Thanks Matt! Thanks Dave!
(Dave lost this part of the fax) The Great Hero of Please Hold fandom (I’m sure there’s at least ONE guy out there…) Jesse Lee Herndon says:
Hi Matt,

Please Hold time! I'll be hitting the transcription of it this weekend after you post the podcast version, of course.

Hi Dave,

I recently began collecting the Spirit Archives published by DC, at your suggestion of starting Eisner reading with the Spirit. I've gotten a good deal on them, despite being hardcovers at least a decade out of print, and I look forward to reading them when I get enough in to do so. So thanks!

Have you ever heard of Fletcher Hanks? He was a Golden Age artist who created characters such as Stardust and Fantomah. He did some work for Eisner & Iger. His works have resurfaced as memes for really bad, or at the least especially absurd, comics. Fantagraphics did a collection or two in the past decade, which included an excellent epilogue about Fletcher's son which has a very comic art metaphysics ending to it. I'd love to send it to you, as some of the most interesting conversations on here, to me, are through the lense of "Dave Sim, comic fan" as much as "Dave Sim, comic creator". It might spark a good Weekly Update video or even a New Mutants level response. Or it may just at the least keep your kitchen table level!

Speaking of comic fans, I did in fact finish my video reviews of all 300 issues of Cerebus, plus all miscellaneous stories and major guest appearances, as I said I would do. I've asked my viewers for their suggestions on what series to cover next and have gotten a lot of great ones such as Gaiman's Sandman, Strangers in Paradise, lots of Alan Moore stuff... but I'd love to know, do you have any suggestions on what I could cover? Any particular characters or creator runs that you think might be worth my time to review?

Take care,
Jesse Lee Herndon
Part six:
Jeff Seiler ONCE AGAIN tries the “double dip”:
I only get a coupla paragraphs on this month's question?!?

Well, then, here's question #2. (I was going to save this to next month, but...):

Okay, Dave, so ... last night, I said to my cat, out loud, because, you know when you live with a cat, that's what you do:

"CAT! You get free food and fresh water every day, a relatively fresh litter box every week, free rent, a warm place to live, a soft place to sleep, high perches, more toys than you can count, and free rein (reign) of the apartment. Yet:

"Why do you feel compelled to bite and scratch me several times, daily."

So, Dave, does that question to my cat remind you of anything in particular? As an analogy, I mean?

And, yes, it's a softball question. You're welcome.

But, really, a year and change in to this social contract with my cat (I adopted him; I'm responsible), I can't *wait* for him to grow up. Again, a familiar analogy?
The Great Hero of Cerebus Twitter (freely admit, I made that up…) Brian West asks:
Q for Dave: As an artist who believes in and strives towards absolute creative freedom what are the challenges you see today for artists who attempt to create and thrive in an increasingly conformist and corporate culture, both in the comics field and society as a whole?

Thank you, Matt.
And Part seven:
RSS brings us on home by asking:
Question for Dave: Do you consider anti-work and anti-ability (again, I've seen lots of both) to be implicit in your consideration of the negative impact on society? Certainly your own work/ability/success was impeded, at the very least.



Rigamarole:
Hemingway in Comics: https://www.booktable.net/ https://www.centuriesandsleuths.com/


The AMOC TeePublic Shoppe will be on sale:
Your store will be on sale:
March 10 – 12
March 24 – 26
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off! That means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more.

Next Time: Oliver and whole bunch of happy little links...

8 comments:

RSS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RSS said...

Edit: Now if you were me, wouldn't you be glad you *turfed* your TV way back in '98. Phew!

Steve said...


Matt -

Your Proof copy is of version #2, as according to cerebusoverload's eBay listings.

Steve

Jeff said...

Actually, I do smack my cat in the face nearly daily. He takes it as an invitation to escalate the fight.

But, his ferality is diminishing, slowly. I'm amazed that Dave remembers my telling him that I got the cat two days (I was told) after he had been on the street.

Of course, fattening the cat up really helps in the equation. Am I right, ladies?

Dion said...

Matt knows the truth of things.... You always look for the Mark Hamill episodes first.

JLH said...

Dave has confused his Hortons.

The quote “I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant’s faithful one hundred percent.” comes from "Horton Hatches an Egg", which predates "Horton Hears a Who" and had a 10 minute Bob Clampett directed short by Warner Brothers in 1942. That's what he saw.

Dan E. said...

Thanks for posting Please Hold on Spotify. It made a very dull plane trip much more interesting!

RSS said...

About social media as "flypaper", my solution:

1. as a productivity tool (story development) construct a model where:
2. anything you find that's attractive to you is autocatalytic:
3. the model readily accepts your find and roots and branches are exchanged in both directions (to and from the new element)

Again, I've done seven years of this: the story 'writes itself' (is effortless), and (because you can't *plan* to stumble onto one element or another) is completely original (except for the personal bias which naturally makes it your own)