Tuesday 11 October 2022

Hey what the @#%& has Gerhard been up to?!?

Hi, Everybody!

Say, am I the only one who constantly forgets that Gerhard has blog?

Just me?

Then youse guys are in for a whole bunch of  "seen it." in today's AMOC post...
Studio Sortin’…
I realized that I wasn’t going to get any real work done until I uncluttered my studio.
Spent the past week sorting through everything (forgot to take a picture of the carnage) trying to consolidate and organize all of the artwork, sketches, prelims and tracing paper transfers that I had lying about and tucked away everywhere.

Thought some of it might be of interest to someone and make for good blog filler.

And:
Seeking Sanctuary
Occasionally I come across something that I do not at all recall doing.

Fer instance…

Some of you will remember the “Sanctuary” from the ‘Latter Days’ story-line in Cerebus:

And:
Tracing Paper Ink Blot Test…
As seen in last week’s post, here’s an example of why I needed to be able to visualize the entire Sanctuary:

And:
Ghost Girl…
Here’s an example of a rare occurrence where Dave had me change what I’d done on the backgrounds.

In the bottom panel on the left side I put in a figure to balance the composition. Which I also did in the first panel.

(Another rarity: me pencilling and inking people).

And:
Pencil & Ink…
On this page I only did a background on the middle panel. I am pretty sure that Dave TOLD me to leave all that white space. I would very rarely leave a panel blank since it was… you know… my JOB to put in the backgrounds.

All that officially sanctioned empty space would give me the chance to either A) get caught up or B) spend more time on the existing background. Guess which one I chose:

And:
Without a trace…
Here’s a good example of why I continued to use the “tracing paper transfer” technique. (Other than the obvious benefit of being able to… you know… trace stuff.) All of these roughed-in lines and perspective lines and otherwise unwanted lines would have to erased had I done them on the illustration board:

AND:
Light me…
Here’s another thing I came across in my Big Clean Up.

Way back in the olden days I had software called “3D Home Architect” running on our pre-Pentium 486 computer. I could design and furnish a room in floor-plan mode, then click on the 3D render button and go for a coffee or go back to my drawing board for awhile as mere tens of minutes later I’d have something that looked like this that I could print out:

Anyway, if you click the links (the titles of Ger's posts.), you'll get MORE from Ger in each one. (I'm a hack thief, but I'm not THAT MUCH of a hack thief...)

And on the Faceybookees, somebody shared:

And somebody else asked how they could get their hands on one.

And Ger swung by to say:
Send me an email: gerzmail(at)yahoo(dot)ca (NOT dot com) I got a bunch of 'em!
that's: gerzmail@yahoo.ca. NOT .com. I have no idea what he's charging, but tell 'im Manly Matt Dow sent ya, and he'll tack on an extra 15% (I'm kidding, I'm kidding! He won't...Aw geez, please don't charge 'em extra Ger. It was a joke...)

Okay, I wanna start working on inking Stupid Project #2:
So, goodbye and stuff...
____________________________________
Because I'm a busy guy, Dave & I aren't doing Please Hold For Dave Sim until this Thursday. So, if you have a "burning question" for Dave Sim, I'd suggest you drink a big glass of salty water or some cranberry juice...or sent it to momentofcerebus@gmail.com before I send the Fax tomorrow night...
____________________________________

AND ALSO:
The Last Day
____________________________________
Steve Peters Week?
Friend to the Blog, Steve Peters is doing a new crowdfunding campaign for his latest book. Ends on the 21st. His mom's REALLY not doing too well, so you should chip in and give Steve a bright spot...
____________________________________
Oliver's Cerebus movie: The Absurd, Surreal, Metaphysical, and Fractured Destiny of Cerebus the Aardvark it's currently available on "Plex", "Xumo", "Vimeo On Demand", "Tubi".  And if you're in Brazil...
____________________________________
Heritage has pages from Cerebus #1 (like, did the WHOLE issue's original art hit the block recently?!?). And a whole heap of other neat stuff.
____________________________________
Up to 35% off site-wide:
October 12-16, 
October 20-21, 
October 26-30
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off -- that means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more!

Next Time: Some Hobbs love?

1 comment:

crazyyears said...

I don't know any artist that handles (I looked for the right word for a while; "Handles" is somewhere between "depicts" and "plays with.") light the way Gerhard does. Wonderous.

Michael Hunt