Thursday 13 September 2018

Dead Paper

MARGARET LISS:
A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

Back in April we looked at a couple pages from Dave Sim's 20th notebook. In Venus Rising we saw two out of the 59 pages of the notebook that were scanned. The notebook covers Cerebus #153 to 164.

As I was skimming through it,  I saw a nice display for what I guess is Moon Dog Comics:

Notebook 20, page 17
That even looks like a Cerebus phonebook on it.

Then on page 28 it looks like Cerebus got a hockey sweater.

Notebook 20, page 28
Kind of looks like mine - just a bit too big - but a great size to wear a fleece or two under during those cold winter days.

5 comments:

Birdsong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tony Dunlop said...

My Spanish is rusty: "________ don't come into closed mouths?"

And no, don't send me to Google Translate. There's too much of that crap in the world as it is. I still believe in, you know, talking to people.

Birdsong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff said...

I think that might be a jersey from a forerunner of the Minnesota Wild. It seems to letter out "ST. PAUL".

But what do I know? What I know about hockey is: The puck is really hard to see unless you have primo seats. That's it.

Margaret said...

Almost Jeff. Almost. The Minnesota wild have one of my fave jerseys in the NHL, the head of a wild animal with the wildness in it. They've had some alternate jerseys (aka thirds) that have text instead of the animal head, but none have said St Paul that I know of - all have said 'Minnesota'.

As for not being able to see the puck unless you have primo seats? Get some better glasses there old man. ;P I sit in the balcony in the back wall (row 15 whooo!) at TD Garden and I can see the puck just fine. I'm on level 8 of the garden. They put the press in level 9 - aka the promenade - which I've sat at before as well, and yes, I can even see the puck just fine up there. I think the higher seats give you the better view at hockey - as you can see the play developing. Different seats in the lower level (loge at the garden) don't let you see that.

Speaking of which, the first preseason home Bruins game is on Sunday. Whoooo! Time for hockey again!