Saturday 25 September 2021

Rest In Peace: Jeffery Alan Seiler

Hi, Everybody!

I got a fax yesterday from Dave:

So I tried to call Jeff, and got the same message Dave got, so I tried a second number Jeff had given me, and, as I faxed Dave:
Dave,
I talked to Steve Moran, XXX-XXX-XXXX, Jeff’s building manager/caretaker.

Jeff died last weekend.

The last time I talked to Jeff was September 15th. He had called the day before to give me more information about who I would need to contact/ who would contact me in the event that he did what he did last weekend.

I got ahold of Susan Sandahl, XXX-XXX-XXXX, the lawyer who was working on Jeff’s will (she told me his was dragging his feet,) and she confirmed that Jeff had died, and promised to send my contact info to Jeff’s sister. But she couldn’t tell me more.

Here’s what I posted to the Cerebus Facebook group (along wth your fax and the image of Jeff you did for Cerebus Readers in Crisis #1, that Jeff used as his profile picture on Twitter):
Jeff Seiler, Longtime Cerebus fan, publisher of Effing Magnifier Publications, Creator of Cerebus Readers In Crisis, frequent letter writer to Dave, the guy who was there when Gerhard took "The Smile of the Absent Cat" job for Heavy Metal, Voice of Elrod in Oliver Simonsen's Cerebus movie, etc. etc...

has..."shuffled loose this mortal coil"...

Jeff is now an "ex-Yahoo"...

Jeff has joined John Lougher in the great Cerebus Yahoo Chat Group in the sky...

"He's, I say, he's dead. Deceased that is. No longer with us. He's found out where Cerebus went at the end of issue #300." as Elrod would put it.

I don't know EXACTLY what happened. All I know is that he contacted me recently to say that he was putting me in his Will, and that he had developed complications to Liver Disease, and that the prognosis was that he'd be dead by the end of 2022. Dave faxed me today (attached), and I called Jeff and got the same message Dave did. Then I called his building manager Steve and he let me know that Jeff died last weekend.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This one's for you Shecky...
Anything I hear, I will pass along as soon as I’m able…
Matt Dow
I also called Dave and left a message.

Dave responded: 

Over on the FaceItBook, Jeff Tundis dug up a photo of Seiler in the Carmen Miranda outfit:

I've been posting more pictures over there, if you're interested.

But, of course one of the BEST pictures of Jeff is the one Dave drew:

I'll miss you my friend...

Next Time: Oliver and HIS Death in the family...

13 comments:

Lee Thacker said...

RIP Jeff. A lovely gentleman who sent me a copy of Jaka's Story after I won a competition he set up. We were supposed to split the extortionate postage costs between us but he never got back to me on how to pay them from the UK (he had no Paypal account). A true Cerebite until the end.

Dave Kopperman said...

I'd had no interactions with Jeff other than via these comments, but I can definitely say that I'll miss his presence, here. RIP.

Steve said...


Sad news; rest in peace, Jeff, you will be missed by family and friends.

I had noticed he hadn't commented here on AMOC in quite some time, but certainly wasn't expecting news like this. I don't know of any other fan Dave has been in contact with for as long as Jeff.

Steve

Ibis said...

Godspeed.

Birdsong said...

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

-Romans 8:38-39


“He done left his pains down here.”
-Oliver Stone


Farewell, Jeff. I didn’t know you well enough to dislike you, but we did get a bit testy a couple of times. Curmudgeons recognize each other. The world of CEREBUS will never be the same.

David B

Billy said...

I am very saddened to have heard of Jeff Seiler's death. I never had the privilege to meet him, but in our correspondence and phone calls he was always most generous and kind. I am thankful to Cerebus and Dave Sim for having given me reason to have known Jeff.
Billy Beach

carson said...

So sorry to hear this. Rest in Peace, Jeff.

Travis Pelkie said...

This is sad news. I’ll certainly miss Jeff. I haven’t been around here as often in the last couple years, but from the time when Tim ran this site to when things transitioned to Matt, I’d certainly get into conversations with Jeff. I hope he took my teasing for what it was, teasing, and that any of our back and forth was intended to further the collective knowledge about Dave and Cerebus.

We’re certainly going to miss out on his extensive knowledge of Dave and Cerebus, and that’s a big loss as well as the loss of the man.

It’s funny, I was just looking at some online comic book stores’ sites last night, and reading the descriptions of Cerebus Readers in Crisis, and wondering where I might be able to find copies of those issues. Maybe they can eventually be posted here at the site or something? I don’t know.

We’ll miss you, Jeff.

Michael Grabowski said...

Our time is up when it's up. We may get some advance notice, like Jeff seems to have received, or something might take us out of all this in a quick unanticipated moment. We can do so much better at making as many moments as possible better for one another. Courtesy costs nothing, but we all gain from it.

Thanks to Tim and Matt for maintaining this space for this community. I appreciate the many postings Jeff made here, whether silly, serious, or self-serving. I enjoy reading just about all the commenters, actually, which is rare to say about any place on the internet. Keep on!

Tony Dunlop said...

Very sad news. Cerebusworld/Simworld will not be the same - for better or for worse - without Jeff.

Erick said...

He loved Dave, he loved Cerebus he loved Gerhard. Possibly in that order. I did not know him other than these messages and we rarely agreed, but i recognized him as a true and passionate fan of all thing's Cerebus and he was relentlessly himself. I hope there were no typos in that!
RIP Jeff

Erick

Sean R said...

It was on my to-do list for this week to check in with Dave and Jeff about Jeff's proofreading on the last six Cerebus remaster volumes. Very sorry to hear this news.

Jeff was a great proofreader, with an eye for detail that rivals Dave's own. I've been thinking about him since I heard the news, and I hope he was happy and that his death was as painless as possible. I'm happy that his meticulous work will be attached to the book he enjoyed so much.

You'll be missed, Jeff.

PBobShaffer said...

I'm the guy that introduced Jeff to Cerebus back in college. Ever since then, he was obsessed.

There was little to no information on Facebook regarding Jeff's passing, so it was nice to see this link and get a better picture of where things went his final weeks. He had edited several of my own self-help books, and had just finished with my last one. I had spoken to him the month prior to his passing and he felt like he was doing better than he had in a while, so it's a major shock to find out it didn't continue in that direction. I'd appreciate a heads-up if anyone spots an obit or if there are any funeral services arranged.