Saturday 4 September 2021

Please Hold For Dave Sim 9/2021

Hi, Everybody!

It's the FIRST Saturday of the month, so THAT means:
Crap! I HAD the Please Hold For Dave Sim logo hand lettered in the original...

That's right, it's Please Hold Time!

First the Audio:

I decided that the videos are getting discontinued, because the audio is terrible, and they're only a back-up for the bits of the Audio I lose when I stop at fifty-five minutes and have to save the segment (Anchor limits my clips to an hour, at fifty-five minutes I get the "time's almost up" warning, and just cut it there.). 

I THOUGHT, that I could easily upload the audio and an image into a video and then edit them down into the segments, but HA-HA(!), no, no I can't...

But I DID find a NEW app-thingy that will let me do it, and it's gonna be better as I learn what I'm doing, so I hope you Video/YouTube fans appreciate all the time and effort I made to: download the podcast segments, insert them and the image into the new app-thingy, download THAT video, transfer it to the video editor software on my tablet, edit them down into these segments, transfer them BACK to my laptop, upload them to YouTube, and then embed them here. (After FAILING to make them into videos three different ways before I found the app-thingy...) ((So, basically, I DIDN'T get to watch Mad Max: Fury Road, last night, like I planned...)) (((You're welcome...))) Since it worked, the Videos will continue, for now.

Part 1:
We begin with Dave asking if I had heard if anybody got their Cerebus Archive Number Nine portfolios, and I said I'd ask, and then MY CAN9 showed up yesterday:
My mom, who was over babysitting my brats...er, kids, asked about the return address, I told her this is the return address I use for any Cerebus related stuff I send... (Actual location of The AMOC Cave redacted. For your protection)

And the PRINTED address label made me giggle:
(Again, for YOUR protection... (I'll hit you with a baseball bat if you show up uninvited...))

So I got my CAN9, AND (because I'm a member of The Little Orphan Aardvark Secret Society) this:

NEAT!
Dave/Rolly also included:

I've heard reports of other people getting other volumes that they didn't order, so I'm ASSUMING Dave sent them as an apology for the delay in getting the portfolios out.

Anyway, then Dave answers Seiler's phone question

Part 2:
Over on the FaceItBooks, Will Gray asked:    

(on August 16th): Wondering how Dave is gonna take the Taliban victory since it contradicts his thesis in his essay “Islam, My Islam

And I commented in the fax: 

Well there goes the next two hours…

Part 3:
Friend of the Blog, Steve Peters asked:
Hi Dave: Noting that Marvel's Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is being released this Friday, September 3rd, I was wondering if you observe any comic book metaphysics at play. Looking at Gene Day's Wikipedia page, I see that he was born on August 13 and died on September 23. So the film is coming out pretty much exactly at the midpoint between those two dates.
While we're on the subject, can you tell us anything about Gene Day's Black Zeppelin? I see that it was published posthumously by Deni's Renegade Press, which leads me to think Gene and Deni were on pretty good terms.

 Always a good time to remind everybody:

Steve Swenson asked:
Dave: the issues you and Bill Loebs signed ~~ how did that work? Did an authorized CGC rep witness your signing them and then transport them to Bill?

And on a similar topic: have you considered 'hosting' a CGC rep for a signing, something of that nature.

I have a few books I'd consider sending your way -- unfortunately not my 4 authentic #1 copies, which I sent to CGC just a few months ago. It would cost too much to do all over again...

Thanks as ever for your time -

Steve Swenson

Part 5:
Margaret posted this:
and said it was “a sketch of the cover for Anything Goes #3:” and shared Neal Adams cover:

 

I pointed out that the sketch was for page one of the story, and Mags said:
“You get what you paid for.
“Looks like the cover to me. Just 'cause Dave didn't draw the cover himself doesn't mean that this sketch wasn't used in the cover's creation. Perhaps ask Dave next time you talk to him.
“And if me being wrong actually creates some discussion on these posts, perhaps i'll continue to make up shit, eh?”
Well Mags, I ASKED Dave, and...
I WAS RIGHT, I WAS RIGHT, I WAS RIGHT!

But I'll leave it up to the AMOC readership to see if they concur.

Does this:

Look more like the left, or the right?

And here's the original:


Part 6:
We bring it on home with Jen DiGiacomo, who asked (in an email titled: ONLY IF you are short on questions for Dave...):

...otherwise happy to re-submit come September.

Hi Dave!

 

It's Jen again. Since you have had to endure so many interviews over the years, and read through even more as you've meticulously researched a litany of literary figures, I am curious who you find to be the best interviewer based on personal experience *and* in a broader cultural sense. 

 

I'm going to guess that Shel Dorf isn't going to make the cut. And for the sake of propriety, we'll take it as granted that Manly Matt tops your personal list.

 

Cheers! 

Jen

The Manly one sez: First off, nobody likes a kiss-ass Jen. Second off…

______________________________
______________________________
Get that sweet, sweet Gerhard art, and piano music (but mostly that sweet @$$ Gerhard art...) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrisopperman/still-waters
______________________________
For the next little while, EVERYTHING on CerebusOverload.com is 30% off (with the code: 30OFF).

Offer ends when The Waverly Press launches Cerebus #2! (Soon, REAL soon...)
______________________________
Which leads to Heritage, and the fact they're gonna be auctioning off the original art to the Cerebus #2 covers (5 of them,) and the NEW Cerebus #1 (just 1 of them.) 
______________________________
Up to 35% off site-wide:
September 4 – 6
September 22 – 27
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off -- that means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more!
Next Time: Oliver.

6 comments:

Birdsong said...

The "THIS IS COPY # " was mistakenly printed on the Office/Contributor copies of Swords Of Cerebus In Hell? Volume One. They weren't supposed to be numbered at all. All other volumes have no number when it comes to the Office/Contributor copies. Copies Diamond released (ordered through your Local comics Shop) are numbered 1-350 for Volume One. Then you run into the problem of digitally numbering covers, namely that some get damaged in printing. This is what leads to someone getting a copy, for example, that says "377 of 350" because the printer has to overprint to send the number of copies Dave ordered. If you order 350 copies and 17 get damaged the digital numbering has to go up high enough to cover the number of copies purchased. Not to mention that Dave had a lot more copies printed than ordered. It's possible the last one reads "1089 of 350" or something crazy like that.

Numbering by hand takes time, but I think I would prefer it over digital numbering. There is a possible one day sale coming up for a variant issue of CIH? in October for a December release. Dave assures me that StudioComix Press can handle a small run and get all the numbering correct as he did with the Halloween variant for Spawn 10. Watch this space for more details.

Confused yet? Hey, I work here and it took, like, three or four brains to figure that one out. Four years and no office meetings can lead to some confusion. We should do a Zoom meeting with Sean, Benjamin, Eddie and myself to talk about how no one is really sure how we keep putting out comics on a monthly basis when nobody knows what anyone else is doing. Hilarity would ensue as we invite Dave to fax into the meeting. Sounds like something "Manly" Matt Dow should arrange.

Jeff said...

Re: Steve Peters' question: I saw the Shang Chi movie, and don't that the reviewers saw the same movie as did I. They all thought was funny, but actually it was mostly and what humor it had was mosthy weak. That said, it,s a good movie, but veers widely from the comics. Most notably by having Shang's father be someone other than Fu Manchu But I have heard that Fu's estate is exceedingly difficult to deal with.

Steve said...


The issue of Power Comics did indeed get a yellow label designated as authentic Signature Series; the certificate of authenticity from Dave was not 'put in the back of the slab' but my guess is it was included with the comic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203509730675?hash=item2f62200d73%3Ag%3AV5MAAOSwxt1g3IIN&nma=true&si=5fnXjTo%252B34BuwWJHJmCw%252FzkG3qU%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So this really does go against my understanding of how the CGC Signature Series works, inasmuch as the account from Dave certainly indicates that NO CGC rep witnessed either of the signatures.

As for signing the case: let's say a comic has received a 9.0 grade from CGC on an initial grading. Some years later the owner decides to have a signature added, and a CGC rep is responsible for taking the comic out of the slab and having the comic then signed and subsequently re-graded. There is ABSOLUTELY NO guarantee the book will receive the same grade; it could be higher...or lower.

I speak from personal experience.

So a fan may ask to have just the outside case signed, which avoids the possibility of a lower grade as well as the attendant fees of re-submitting the book for grading.

As for 4 copies of #1, they were all part of a huge eBay auction I won over 10 years ago that included almost three full runs of all 300 issues.

Steve

Jen said...

Matt,

Are you sure no one likes a kiss-ass? I figured I'd take a different tack after accusing you of dragging a dead body down the stairs in an earlier episode. I like to zig where others zag.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Regarding canceling youtube, why not produce one long video and use chapters for the questions. No gaps.

No need to embed anything.

You could thing post a picture on AMOC linking to the chapter for that question.

I use audacity to record/edit audio. It is cross-platform.

Given some time I could remember (lookup) what the guy on another channel uses. He discusses it once in a while.

Rich L.

Tony Dunlop said...

Late to the party - school is back in session (live and on campus! Try teaching statistics through a mouth diaper...not as easy as it looks) so not a lot of blog-posting time right now - but my CAN9 arrived early this week. In the comments, Dave addresses my earlier remarks about the word usually rendered as "born" in John Chapter 3, but which his interlinear translation team chose to render as "generated." If the date on the commentary is correct (April 2020), he addressed my comments over a year before I raised them. What a guy!

I also got an unsolicited copy of Swords of CIH? Volume 2 - a very nice gesture. Some of the strips making fun of comics geeks, from "Aardvark Comics #1," almost made me grin.