Saturday 21 January 2023

The Strange, Sad, Mildly Disturbing, and Mostly Completely Unnecessary Origin of Fernando, the Aardvark

Hi, Everybody!

39 more sleeps until the Remastered Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #8 from The Waverly Press Kickstarter launches:

"HEY! YOU'RE ALWAYS STARTING THESE THINGS WITH TURTLES 8 SKETCH CARDS!"

Yeah...you got a point there, imaginary AMOC reader who lives rent-free in my head?

"YEAH! WHERE'S THE CEREBUS PART OF THESE G**DAMN THINGS?!? I WANT AN AARDVARK G**DAMN IT!!!"

Oh! You want an Aardvark do ya...

The Strange, Sad, Mildly Disturbing, and Mostly Completely Unnecessary Origin of Fernando, the Aardvark

"son of a bitch..."

It's okay imaginary AMOC reader who lives rent-free in my head, it's okay...

Say, ya ever get "headcanon", ya know, about Cerebus?

Here's mine:
So back in 1994, Wizard Magazine ran their End-of-Year review issue for 1994. And one of the articles (which I'm sure I've mentioned before) was a preview of where Wizard saw comics ten years in the future:

I highlighted the most AMOC-able bits.

Anyway, on the second page was this:

Having sorta heard about Cerebus (mostly through Wizard, partly through Spawn #10,) this kinda embeaded itself in the back of my head. Specifically this bit:

Cut to 1997, and Toyfare #2 hits stands and my possession. In an article about the Mego Corporation and their toys, there's this bit:
"with his stylin' brother Fernando."

(You can read the full issue here. If you're into that sort of thing...)

For some reason that picture, with that description just makes me laugh. Every time.

Within a few years, I started buying Cerebus regularly, starting with the issues that were later collected as Going Home.

And I connected the Wizard bit about Cerebus' missing brother, with Dr. Strange's "stylin' brother" and this bit from Going Home:




With this bit by Eddie Izzard:
And I got the idea that Cerebus had a twin brother, who was given away by his father (who didn't need TWO freaks to raise), and raised in the Estarcion version of Italy, where he sits in cafes and drinks espresso and says:
And becomes the legendary lover: Fernando the Aardvark!

If I had the money, I'd pay Gerhard to do a Gerebus of Fernando riding a Vespa around the Italian seaside in a little beret.

I know he only exists in my imagination, but:
VIVA FERNANDO!
Next Time: Does Fernando become the Pope too?

No comments: