Thursday 5 January 2023

Dave Sim's Notebooks: Eight Years

MARGARET LISS:

A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

Last year I did one of these lists of all the notebook columns so far, so I figured I’d repeat myself. An easy way to get a weekly column done. And while I have a four day weekend, 1 day is napping and relaxing, and the next three days? All Bruins. A home game, watching the Bs practice on Sunday at Fenway (hopefully, that weather better behave itself), and then the Winter Classic on Monday. So a nice easy column? Yeah, thanks.

And would you look at that – last year I said there were 384 posts tagged with “Dave Sim’s Notebooks”, and this year, there are 52 more: 436 posts. That is a lot of notebook pages.  I did a post back in August about the notebooks that goes over all of that info.

So here is the updated list of notebook entries here at AMoC. If there is something you’d like to see posted, just put it in the comments below.

____________________
55 more sleeps until the Remastered Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #8 from The Waverly Press Kickstarter launches:


Holiday Bundles of the stuff the Waverly Press has made in conjunction with Aardvark-Vanaheim are still available. 

3 comments:

Tony Dunlop said...

Helluvan effort, Margaret, for which Ceredom Assembled is forever in your debt.
I'll leave it to you to judge whether the effort is Herculean or Sisyphusean...

Anonymous said...

Would love to be able to buy printed reproductions of the notebooks!

Mr. P said...

As a Cerebus fan for over 30 years, the posting of these notebooks is pure gold. I also commend the effort and much appreciate the results. Bravo!