Thursday 16 June 2022

Diamondback Rule Creation

MARGARET LISS:

A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

We just saw a page from Dave Sim’s first notebook this past April in First Look at Astoria. The notebook covers #20 through 28 – yes, it was the first notebook and started so late, as Dave used loose sheets of paper before this notebook – and had 194 pages scanned out of 200 pages. One of the pages that stood out to me as I was looking through them was page 172.

Notebook #1, page 172

It is just a wall of text with mark-ups. But it appears in Cerebus  #27. This notebook page is Dave telling us why we are getting this wall of text, and then going into the rules of Diamondback.

About this notebook page Dave said: “Sometimes I would let the over-plotting go, as the design of the Diamondback game and its rules. Basically anticipating that the continuity junkies would want to know the rules at some point so I needed to have them all made up in advance. It was the first use of solid text in Cerebus which would prove controversial. But the continuity junkies needed to be served as well.

The next page of the notebook gives the game rules.

Notebook #1, page 173

When I originally read it, I was probably thankful, as a continuity junkie, for the detail. Having played the game, I wish he hadn’t written them down.

The page that this wall of "solid text" appears on is Cerebus #27 page 11, aka High Society page 39.

Cerebus #27, page 11




1 comment:

Tony Dunlop said...

I've always preferred "Gimpsee Doodle." "Fizzbin" is even better.

On a less frivolous note, though, one of the first things that struck me about Cerebus when I first discovered it (right in the middle of the "High Society" storyline) was how thoroughly thought out it all was. It was apparent, even then, how much action was taking place "off page" and that Dave had it all planned out, in great detail. "This is not a slapdash job" is how I put it in one of my first "Aardvark Comment" letters. Having the rules of Diamondback all worked out is just one (rather trivial) example of this.