Saturday 4 June 2022

Please Hold For Dave Sim 6/2022

Hi, Everybody!

Dave and I talked. And talked. And talked. For damn near THREE hours(!).

This time out, "V" gets to go first:

Part 1: Dave remembers Seiler:

Part 2:
Eddie sent me:
Oh I forgot to mention; this might make a good question for the next PLEASE HOLD

From our man at the High-End art auction site:
"This may be common knowledge but Dave’s earliest pages appear to have been cut by hand, because a few of the page edges for issue 4 weren’t perfectly square. I noticed because they wouldn’t line up exactly with the edges of the scanner. I wonder if Dave cut them himself to save money."
Which leads to the Death’s Dark Tread Auction. Which my brave band of Rebels is, as of this writing, winning. But, there’s 14 days to go. And the deal has evolved to: SINCE A/V has the scans regardless of if we win or not. AND, I’ve gotten four “high rollers” who have pledged at least $2000 apiece, I’m letting people claim a page if they pay. The $2000 guarantees a person a page (one guy pledged $5000 for two pages and the recreated cover). If we win with less than 21 people, everybody that kicks in gets a page. And if THEY want to send the page back to A/V, that’s what we’ll do. Otherwise, we’ll NEVER win. Of my four High Rollers, two want their pages, and two wanted the art to go back (that may change after we win…). So, if nobody swoops in and takes us out, that’s where I’M at. (And if some rat-bastard outbids us (highly probable.) then nobody gets nothing…)
As you just saw, Dave's a "Dark Treader" now. And I've decided that if we win, Dave gets first pick of a page. Ya know, because he's buying back his own dang art...

Part 3:
Randy Duncan, Matt Smith, and, Paul Levitz, are working on the 3rd edition of The Power of Comics. And want to use two panels from Cerebus.
Part 4: 
Mark is looking for the Guide to Self Publishing. Dave's got some.
So CerebusDownloads.com does NOT have PDFs like I thought. And a copy is going on Amazon for $80. So, whatever Mark offers Dave for one of the A-V copies, I hope it's more than ten bucks...

Part 5:
Dion Turner asks:
G'day Matt,

Question for Dave (or at least an idea for discussion).

Great news of the '82 Tour book, it's very cool that this sort of historical project is spinning out of the relationship with Waverly Press. Don't get me wrong, the remastered issues and phonebooks are great, and I hope they continue. But this type of book with rarities and items from that era will be a cool time capsule.

Something that popped into my head after the last 'Please Hold' is the current popularity of 'Artists Editions' books reprinting the original art at it's original size. The Archive Portfolios have done this with the earliest pages from each book that are still in the archive (Which is great! We Cerebus fans have an embarrassment of riches in those portfolios).

What might the chances be for a separate 'Artist's Edition' book with pages that fall outside of what is in the Archive Portfolios?

Pages which you might have something to say about (influences, techniques, style?) in adjacent essays - or just put in the pages that you would think benefit most from being printed as the original art. The most interesting ones I've seen are where you can see the different layers, types of ink/brush/pen and those fine little lines that no-one else would ever see (Neal Adams lines!). It becomes very forensic. Technically satisfying which adds to the appreciation of the beauty of the work.

Now absolutely that's not a cheap item, oversized as far as books go. The paper quality needs to be top notch and we know how those prices are changing month to month. Postage would be a nightmare, I know this better than most. So that likely impacts on the number of pages. But maybe Waverly Press would have a feel on what the sweet spot might be?

Like the Cover Art Treasury, I could see this becoming something comic stores want to get on their shelves.

All the best to you both,

Dion
Part 6:
Nick asks:
Hello, I'm a longtime reader of your website and I just had a quick question. Is there any way to order the remastered edition of Reads? I have searched around and it doesn't seem to be available anymore as far as I can tell. If you can tell me anything about this it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! Keep up the awesome work with the site.

Nick


So, wondering if Reads is still available through Diamond, or if it needs a new printing? Also, Nick where you at? I know a guy, but it depends on where you are…

Part 7:
Michael R. (who was the ONLY person to comment when I asked the peanut gallery where I should have Dave put the “Adventures of Cerebus #500” on my PoT8.2. He said front, so front it is. I already told Eddie, so it should be on the List that way.) oh, right: “Michael R. the only one home in Easton, PA.” asks:
Hi Matt!

I hope you had/have a wonderful Memorial weekend. Here's my question for Dave.

Hi Dave!

I know now you're in the beginning stages with a possible 1982 U.S. TOUR 40th ANNIVERSARY BOOK, but has there been anything going on with possible CAN10 -Minds Kickstarter?

The only thing I got from 1982 U.S, TOUR was that I was 15 and not reading Cerebus. I started with issue 67 and never looked back. If you ever do a 1992 U.S. TOUR 30TH ANNIVERSARY BOOK, I was at 3 stops. I believe you did a signing at Midway Comics on a Friday in Manhattan, Saturday was a comic convention and Sunday you were in Staten Island, New York at another comic store. I got a bunch of signed, bought page 20 of issue 159 and a phone book or 2. AAAAAARGH!!! ... but no photos!!! It's probably a good thing that you never relied on me to archive anything from way back then. Names and dates ... ummmm, what's dat? LOL! I'm a little better now archiving my Cerebus stuff. And stuff in general.

Michael R.
MJ, Mike, Sewall asks:
Of many stunning covers, Issues 23 - 35 are up there as favorites. How did the painted covers for Cerebus happen? What prompted the decision? When did you know you had this amazing skill set? Have you done any painting since?

Thanks! M J (Mike) Sewall
And Nadab Art asks:
Hi Dave,

Starting on page 92 of FLIGHT we see K'Cor thinking in diamond-shaped thought balloons. That usually indicates telepathic communication, but it's almost exclusively women who can do that in the series. Cerebus is also capable of it (for a while), but I'm more curious as to how Mr. K'Cor seemingly has that ability.

Thanks,
Nadab

And a lil' sumthin' sumthin' for the L.OA.S.S.

I'll get the Audio up tomorrow...
____________________________________
If YOU have anything related to the 1982 Tour, that'd be of interest, shoot me an email at momentofcerebus@gmail.com and I'll get it to the Waverly Press.
____________________________________
And, you can shoot an email to momentofcerebus@gmail.com if you wanna get in on the Death's Dark Tread auction which we are ONCE again winning thanks to our latest backer who's pledged $2000. It's Dave. Dave pledged to buy back his own art... More on that tomorrow... 
The deal is still:
Everybody gets prints of the whole shebang.
If you donate $2000, you're guaranteed a page.
If you donate more than everybody else, you get first dibs. You get second dibs. I'ma give Dave first pick before everybody else. I mean it's his own damn art...
If we get LESS than 23 people, EVERYBODY gets a page.
If you want your page to go back to Dave, it'll get sent to him.
I gotta check the numbers, but I THINK we're around twelve grand for this little attempt. With ten people or less. So if you want a page, get in NOW!
____________________________________
Cerebus in Hell?:
____________________________________
Hobbs' Kickstarter for the HARD COVER Swords of Cerebus volumes 9 & 10 ended, get your surveys in.
____________________________________
Oliver's Cerebus movie: The Absurd, Surreal, Metaphysical, and Fractured Destiny of Cerebus the Aardvark is currently available "Plex", "Xumo", "Vimeo On Demand", "Tubi".
____________________________________
Up to 35% off site-wide:
June 8-12
22-26
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off -- that means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more!

Next Time: Something easy...

3 comments:

Jason T. said...

Hi Matt, The waves of nostalgia I feel for that Applebee's near St. Bonaventure are profound. Thanks for including the pictures, which include a couple I've never seen before. I actually remember very well signing that copy of Collected Letters. I felt FAMOUS! I tell you! FAMOUS! I have another angle of that shot somewhere on my backup hard drive. Good times.

As a resident of that area of Western New York for a few years, I am obligated to mention that Olean is pronounced oh-lee-ann. Sorry to be "that guy"

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Jason!

Long time, no see!

Unfortunately, I'm not gonna apologize to anyone from New York for it, until they apologize to me for numbering their highway exits stupidly.

Also, the Ice Cream Sundae was invented in Two Rivers Wisconsin. SUCK IT ITHACA!!!!

Manly

Tony Dunlop said...

You should really use the M. Python "ladies applauding" for your (well deserved) kudos from the faithful...