Tuesday 3 October 2023

SDoAR 40: Giant-Size Ashcan Preview at NYCC! Who's Going?

Who has printer proofs of The Strange Death of Alex Raymond Giant Size Ashcan #1, Restored and Remastered Editions, and will be going to New York Comic Con next week? That's right! Me!

If you are planning on attending, let me know in the comments below or on Facebook and let's connect. Maybe we can even take a photo with the issues so folks know it's not vaporware!

In the meantime, while we didn't unlock a new page, we are only $29 away from doing so! Who's going the be the first one to get some freebies from Dave?

GFM Tote Board

  • *ZERO* new pages unlocked since last week.
  • $9171.00 raised from 144 donations (plus $62.08 outside of GoFundMe).
  • 49 new pages released as mocked up by Dave Sim from 11 June to 26 October 2021
  • 70 total pages available on Dropbox, including Dave's 2019 mocked-up pages
  • Only $29.00 away from unlocking page 71
  • If you have not donated >> $5+ donation grants access to all 70 pages and all pages moving forward! 
  • If you have donated (thanks!!) >> GoFundMe does not have an option for monthly subscriptions. So if you want to donate on a monthly basis, please do so as we at the beginning of month #10.
SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe -->> https://www.gofundme.com/f/sdoar-2023

SDOAR Pages, Part VI

See: Part IPart IIPart IIIPart IV; Part V. Below is the first new completely new page that will be the start of The Strange Death of Alex Raymond Giant Size Ashcan #1.

Reminder: The image below is *neither* the restored *nor* the remastered page, just what I cleaned up as lo-res files for Dropbox. Philip R. Frey's cleanup work for the Giant-Size Ashcans is SO much better!


That's all I got this week. Now it's time for Jen to take a nap!

x

Jen


SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe -->>
 https://www.gofundme.com/f/sdoar-2023 <<-- SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pulled my copy of SDOAR out of storage and gave it anothe read through, though some parts I skipped.

Again it strikes me the amount of talent on display. I think Carson did as good a job as anyone to conclude his take on Dave's partial take on the whole situation.

Dave remains one of those most talented, unique comics creators. The further alone he went with his theories though the less interested, past a point, I was in them and/or wasn't sure I was following them, aside from the theory about Ward Greene and his ellipsis.

It's amazing that he may have just figured out Raymond's technique which is something else no one has done; I don't even know if people acknowledge it out their in reviews.

I'm still curios and interested in seeing Dave's completed version of this project and plan on purchasing it when it is one day released.

The book itself, as an object is great, while I don't normally purchase hardcovers, the binding, appearance, size all of it is a high quality product so kudos to Sean Michael Robinson and whomever produced it.

I've said this before but I think Carson ending it as he did with acknowleding Dave'e ideas while moving back into his life, girlfriend (fiance?) dogs, home was a healthy, smart call.

As with a decent sized chunk of Cerebus, it may be a work I'll appreciate more in time.

Cheers,

A Fake Name

Tony Dunlop said...

I wish to echo AFN. Carson made this book much, much more cohesive than it might otherwise have been.