Saturday 3 July 2021

Please Hold For Dave Sim 7/2021

Hi, Everybody!

It's the first Saturday of the Month, so it's:


For the Audio lovers:

And if you want something visual (that's not too abysmal,):
Part 0: 
Wow, limited bagged collectors edition!
I got a box from the Waverly Press, and that means "What's in the Box, Matt?":
Dave answers Jeff's theosis question from...I don't even know anymore:

Part 2:
Dave talks about my strip and Josh Even's TMNT/Cerebus collection. And then Dave has a question FOR Josh:
Part 3: 
As I faxed Dave:
You probably have some Seiler related business you wanna talk about, but I forgot to send up Margaret Liss’s question for last month (BAD INTERIM EDITOR! NO “SWORDFISH” FOR YOU!) So we gotta do that first, or really soon thereafter:


Part 4: 
Michael R., the “insert witty about his hometown and his relationship to it here” of Easton, PA asks:
Hi Matt! I hope you enjoy your 4th of July holiday! Question for Dave!

Hi Dave!

With this CAN9
Kickstarter coming to an end and TMNT #8/Cerebus #2 on the horizon, the monthly CIH? books coming out every last
Wednesday of every month, is the something that you brainstormed or planning to
brainstorm that you might want to mention?

Michael R.
Part 5:
Jesse Herndon, our “insert witty remark about Jesse transcribing these things here” asks:
Hi Matt,
Please Hold time. You don't have to include this part. This is just me saying "hey, how's it going?" to Matt. Okay, bye.
------------
Hi Dave,

It's your favorite transcriber here. I hope you got the books I sent in without any damage (tracking says you did on Monday).

I finally inspected my copy of the Cerebus: High Society: The Regency Edition. Did a video on it, even (with bad audio). I have to say, I'm impressed with the quality of the book, as everyone is, but man, was the Prime Minister Edition ultimately a waste of the extra money. Nothing in it was extra or exclusive, just the size of the Regency Elf print was bigger. That's it. Absolutely nothing else about it to differentiate from the Candidate Edition. Perhaps there is a Cerebus-related in-joke in there, how Cerebus had all sorts of potential power as a candidate but when he was actual Prime Minister he had nothing else. I dunno. Not disappointed at all, I'm happy to help in making the first Cerebus hardcover a rousing success (fingers crossed), but I'm just giving my opinion on the matter. I will definitely be saving for the Form & Void hardcover, though I may settle for the lower tier.

Correction to last month's Please Hold, Gene Siskel died in 1999. Take that how you will in figuring the date for the Cerebus Christmas card.

Last time, you also mentioned the Cerebus Collector, which, among other items of note, would have had a different cover for Cerebus #18. I'm curious about that, because the only Cerebus cover in the whole series that I absolutely detest happens to be the cover to issue 18 (it's just pictures from the issue cut and pasted together), and the IDW covers book doesn't mention an alternate one was considered. What's the story behind that? (Please, please do not go and dig out the cover and have Rolly scan it or anything! I'm just curious about the story of there being two potential covers as it's something I never knew.)

Lastly, I ended up with copies of a pair of ashcan comics known as the Independent Comic Book Sampler, published in 1989 by Geoff Miller. It's like a two issue bio/single page showcase for indie creators and comics. Some future big names in it, but overall nothing too memorable (I got it for the Tick and Flaming Carrot bits). Cerebus is suspiciously absent. However, there's a bit in the back of issue 1 which does mention you. I've scanned it for the Facebook Group, but here's a transcription of it,

"The Wave of the Future? At a recent 'summer conference' held by Dave Sim, several creators expressed an interest in publishing mini-comics for 1989. Sim himself is quoted as saying, 'Mini-comics are the wave of the future.' He revealed plans to release a bi-weekly Cerebus mini-comic series in December. Mirage Studios also announced the possibility of mini-comics featuring TMNT by Eastman & Laird, Commandosaurs by Laird and Bissette, Melting Pot by Eastman and Talbot, and Puma Blues by Murphy and Zulli. These ground breaking efforts might finally convince fans that minis are fun and collectable."

This sounds very similar to Cerebus Bi-Weekly, but mini-comics? Was this ever a real consideration for you that you can recall? Next we'll be finding an interview from the 90s where you float the idea of Cerebus POGs!

Thanks and take care,
Jesse Herndon

Part 6:
Steve Swenson, “I got nothing to insert here” asks:
Hiya Matt -

OK, once more into the britches, let's revisit Silverspoons!

1) Was the absence of Cerebus' tone in the first two CBG episodes an oversight?

2) Did you provide CBG with proofs / film negatives? It's pretty obvious there's a tear clear across the bottom third of Episode #2 in CBG but the Bi-weekly reprint is fine.

3) The art on these pages seems...less refined? Less fully developed? Inked differently? Elaborate profusely, please.

4) The title strip logo - was this cannibalized from design ideas you'd been working on? It's a kalunker, so glad it wasn't used more often.

Exciting preview of next month's question: something arcane that makes most fan's eyes roll back in their skulls I'm sure....

Steve
Part 7:
And Mike Jones, who’s helping out William Messner-Loebs, let me know:
Matt,

We started listing Dave and Bill's books on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203509730675

I'm not sure if you wanted to help spread the word.

Thanks,
Mike
So just another plug for that.
And we finish with:
Margaret posted about the Mylar negatives to the cover of issue #104 you sent her, which prompted John G. to ask:
This cover production process is literally “The Making of Cerebus #104.” Thumbs up. But can anyone confirm whether Dave or Bob Burden drew the Carrot here? I guess this issue was drawn in Georgia when the Canadians (Dave and Gerhard) invaded the U.S. to visit Bob, but I don’t know if the Flaming Carrot on the cover was drawn by Dave or Bob (?).
To which Dave Kopperman responded:
John: That's a good question that hadn't occurred to me - I'd just assumed it was Burden. Obviously it's Gerhard's colors, but there's a couple of things that make me think the linework might be Dave - notably, the hands are less articulated with sausage fingers (Burden really drew almost absurdly detailed hands). Comparing line is sort of tough, because Dave has always been an expert mimic, though Burden generally favored a very heavy brush (I'm assuming) line. The drapery on the figure could really go either way.

I'm basing this on looking at the original reproduction in the covers collection. Possibly the notes in the original issue might clarify?

So who drew #104’s Carrot on the cover?
Which segues nicely into a question I had. I recently found a large number of early Flaming Carrot issues, and the “first” Renegade Press issue (#6 I believe) lists you as the president, and Deni as the publisher. I assume this was an issue that was more or less in the can when the split happened, and that’s why you’re listed, but was this a one time thing, or did ALL the former AV titles that jumped to Renegade have you as president in their “first” issues?

IFC of #6


IFC of #7

And have you seen this: (Unfortunately, I can’t get it big enough to read. I’ll try to get a better copy if you haven’t seen it.)
I've found a bigger version, and sent it to Dave.

Okay, hope that answered everybody's questions. If not, First Thursday of August, momentofcerebus@gmail.com...

Next Time: Oliver and his videos of Dave talking on the phone...

9 comments:

Tony Dunlop said...

Well. Deni and I have very different takes on The Wave. When I've experienced it, it was always when there was basically nothing going on in the game and the bored fans were desperate for something to liven things up a bit.

Jeff said...

The wave was, and remains, stupid.

But, she was excited to be at Dodgers Stadium--the fourth best stadium in baseball.

Jeff said...

Matt, not to be pedantic, but: You, like so many other people, mistake schizophrenia for multiple personality disorder. People who have schizophrenia do not have or pretend to have more than one personality; they lose touch with reality in an extreme way.

You, in part one, near the end of that segment, were referring to the characteristics of people who have Multiple Personality Disorder.

Sorry. It's sort of a pet peeve that I have.

Bill Ritter said...

I agree with Jesse Herndon and his comments around that obscenely high priced Regency Edition (Jeff Seiler - you missed that bullet!). The edition has nothing to indicate it is a limited edition of 25 copies (I got number 49...not exactly a premium). And that extra sized poster is absolutely worth that extra $100.

I am very very disappointed with the cost compared to value. As aside...Waverly in all their understanding of my complaint let me know I was welcome to a refund. Dagon is a...special kind of person (rolls eyes).

Aside from all the AMOC folks who get all sorts of graft from Waverly (Open the Box! Open the Box!), I'm not sure anyone who isn't receiving "gifts" each month are at all happy with Waverly Press and their practices.

Anonymous said...

Exactly, Bill R. I take the time to make sure I'm there ready and waiting to get one of those 25, spend the extra money and end up getting #161 with a larger print. Rip-Off Press is more like it.

Steve said...


Part 6 ~ the best part for the month!! ~ cuts out a little early.

Damned Russian interference, I'm sure.

Steve

Anonymous said...

Please, is there some way to improve the sound quality on these? I know it's a 'for fun' thing and Manly Matt isn't an audio engineer, but there must be... right? It's just borderline intolerable to attempt to listen to any of these recordings. Dave at the far end of a staticky tunnel and Matt RIGHT THERE NEXT TO YOU. I appreciate the attempts and think there must be interesting discussions, but...

Unknown said...

OK - I want to follow up on my post about the audio quality. This is Jason T, by the way, and I want to own up to my post instead of have it be anon. I don't want it to come across as "rude" when I'm more like "exasperated". This is the kind of content that, if recorded well, I would be very interested in listening to AND even paying for (if it was posted on Patreon, say). As it is, I can barely listening to five minutes of it and only if I am very interested in the initial question. Just wanted to make my thoughts more clear and throw my two cents in.

JLH said...

Jason T, have you listened to the podcast version? As the official transcriber of PHfDS, I can say with utmost certainty the sound is much better there than the YT videos (well, not drastically better, but better enough that it makes my job of transcribing them far easier since the switch to podcast format).