Tuesday 6 July 2021

The Story behind The Story Behind A Story-Strip.

Hi, Everybody!

Part of what I faxed Dave as for this month's Please Hold, was this:
And have you seen this:

(Unfortunately, I can’t get it big enough to read. I’ll try to get a better copy if you haven’t seen it.)

which I stole from my buddy James Windsor-Smith over on the FaceItBook.

(It's okay, he stole it from the eBay...)

Anyway, Dave asked me if I could find a better version of the article, which I did:








(If you want the pictures bigger, go look at the eBay auction...)

Anyway, I sent a copy of all this to Dave, and then to Eddie, because I send all the Strange Death of Alex Raymond related stuff I come across to Eddie. 

And he's pretty sure he had sent the article to Dave years ago. And sent me a real nice copy from the Lebanon Daily News from Feb 9th, 1950.

Okay, Moment!
____________________
Signed Power Comics #1. (Help Bill Loebs out guys...)


Up to 35% off site-wide:
July 21 – 25
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off -- that means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more!

Next Time: Hobbs and whatever he wrote a few weeks ago...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello all, random question: I found a 2017 post for collected letters digital volumes, but the stores are gone. Does anyone know how I can get those extra volumes? I already have the printed Collected letters 2004 and volume 2.

Thanks for any help,
JV

Tony Dunlop said...

This article is priceless, "Manly." Thanks!

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Tony,

No it isn't.

Click the eBay link. $94.50, and it's yours.

Manly

Tony again said...

...

Anonymous said...

Cleaner images of a couple of the pics from the article and some not in the article are included in the introduction to IDW's RIP KIRBY Vol 3. by Brian Walker, which also discusses the working method for RIP KIRBY (e.g. "At these meetings, which usually took place at 10 AM on Tuesdays, Raymond, Greene, and comics editor Sylvan Byck would plot storylines and write dialogue for the strip. This process was described in a promotional booklet, "On Location with Rip Kirby," that was produced by the syndicate in 1949")
-Eddie

Tony again said...

Dang. My local sci-fi/comic book store has most of these (Rip Kirby collections) in stock; I guess I better get them. Thanks, Eddie!