Friday 2 July 2021

Hal Foster's "Christmas Carol" (Dave's Weekly Update #397)

Hi, Everybody!

Dave's Weekly Update:
HAHAHAHA!

Ha!

SO...

Over on the tweeters, "Comics in the Golden Age" shared the images of the book, and said:
On this day in 1843, A Christmas Carol was first published. This is a 1946 edition from King Features Syndicate. The cover was by Hal Foster & the endpages show characters such as Flash Gordon, the Phantom, Prince Valiant, Popeye & Olive Oyl, the Katzenjammer Kids & more.
And I believe it was Evan Dorkin who shared the post and I saw it. 

And it sure sounded like something Dave would want to see...

But, Ha-ha...
____________________________
Hey, here's a thing:
________________________
Cerebus in Hell?:

Speaking of Swords of Cerebus in Hell?, Hobbs sent out:
Hello everyone!

There's a lot to fill you in on since my last update!

All five cards arrived and they have all been placed into sets:



The bookplates have both arrived, and they are all signed!




There were some issues with the bookplates that I tested out for placement. The backs of the plate SHOULD gently peel off with ease, however each one I've placed creased badly.



Due to this, my inclination is to ship the bookplates unattached to the books, therefore leaving both your books and your bookplates in MINT rather than attempting to attach the plates and sending out less than MINT books or bookplates. (If there is anyone who prefers I attach their plate to their book, let me know, and I'll do so.)

For future campaigns, I'm inclined to do away with the bookplate and replace it with two additional trading cards.

Laura and I spent the day sorting the books:



Tomorrow I will begin doing the sketches for those who did the Add-On, and Laura will begin packaging books to ship!

Almost all the shipping labels have been created!

The trading card tier is all packed up and ready to ship!

Things are moving along, so hopefully all the books will be on their way by mid-next week!

Benjamin Hobbs
So watch your mail...
_____________
Speaking of the Kickstarters, get your surveys in for the Cerebus Archive Number 9: Reads one. I know there were issues, but Eddie said they were resolved:
Hi everyone! Kickstarter just sent an email saying the Survey issue should be resolved, so feel free to give it a try again.

Thanks as always for your amazing support!

-Eddie
_____________
Dave's involved in too many Kickstarters... Over at the Strange Death of Alex Raymond one, Carson said:
Hello, wonderful Backers!

This afternoon gave me the first taste of how insane fulfillment is going to be for this project.

These are the palates that got dropped off, containing 700 flattened boxes that will eventually be joined and stuffed full of your precious books.



And, the massive wad of bubble wrap I am going to have to keep Torie's son, Jack, who is visiting for the summer, away from.



Getting this stuff delivered really felt like living through an episode of the Walking Dead.

The materials were delivered to me by a full-sized eighteen-wheel semi truck, which had to wind its way through the narrow two-lane residential roads of my surrounding area and then up onto the sizeable grade that is my street. The picture below, of my driveway, doesn't do real justice to how steep the road is just two houses down.



You do, however see how impossible it would be for a semi to pull into my driveway. Although the road looks like an isolated area it is actually a pretty highly trafficked thoroughfare, especially at the time the truck got here. 4:30 - 5 ish. The drive would have been well within reason to decline the drop off.

Instead, this hero, this madman, parked the semi in the road and proceeded to wheel a near 350lb-plus palate out of the back of his truck and onto the road at this incline. Yes, the back of the truck was pointing down the hill.

The first palate went rouge and almost took him off the side of the road and down the slope into the trees.

Luckily an extremely generous passer-by stopped, got out of her car and started directing traffic as I helped our heroic drive haul the palates up the road and up the slant of my driveway.

Once everything was dropped off the real Walking Dead stuff kicked in.

Not far up the hill is a very tight, residential round-about that the truck would never make it through. two houses down from my driveway the road splits into a Y shape. To the left, the lane the truck was in, there is no stop sign and a low visibility curve. To the right there is a stop sign, but also low visibility because of the hill.

Our brave passer by drove down to the left and parked her car perpendicular to the road to stop all traffic coming from that direction.

I hoofed it over to the stop sign and held everyone there up.

The driver had to stop all traffic coming the other way by taking up both lanes as he backed down the hill, to the left, and turned the truck around to head back out the way he came in. I wish I had could have gotten pictures of it all. It did look so much like any number of scenes from The Walking Dead.

Luckily no one started any trouble.

Bless that woman for stopping to help out on something she had absolutely zero connection to. We all owe her.

The boxes have all been loaded off the crates and are now in the garage, waiting to have books put into them.



Trying to imagine how much space 700 4lb books is going to occupy... eeek! The post office is going to HATE us.
.......................
Torie is not terribly happy about all of this and is dreading what the house is going to be like during fulfillment. She jokingly told me, "I hate all of this. I was just hoping you would be my sugar daddy."

"Where do you think Daddy's get their sugar from in the first place? By selling crack out their garage, *!%(#." Haha.

But, really, she is a great partner and helped me haul all our crack-packages into the garage.
.........................
In more important news,


Bucha has turned into Dave Bautista. Good lord, I wish I had traps like that!

Luckily she is a mellow girl and joined Dad and big sister for a post-box-hauling nap.


____________________________

Up to 35% off site-wide:
July 2 – 5
July 21 – 25
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off -- that means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more!

Next Time:


1 comment:

Tony Dunlop said...

I hope those folded up boxes tasted good...seeing as how they were all loaded up on palates an' all. Yum yum.

Sorry - couldn't resist. Carson, you is superman.