Friday 16 July 2021

When did you stop reading Cerebus? (Dave's Weekly Update #399)

Hi, Everybody!

Dave's Weekly Update:
Hey!

You can buy a copy and follow along as long as this takes Dave.

Or you can read a slightly "condensed" version here. (Mr. Rilstone says at the end: "Patreon Supporters can download all 7 parts of this essay, with exciting extra features and jokes, in a pretty PDF format. Just pledge to send me $1 for each essay I write." Which I infer means that the posted version isn't the expanded version that Dave has received.)
________________________

Cerebus in Hell?:
________________________
Gary Boyarski's running a Kickstarter for his book Jack Grimm. (More on him tomorrow...)
________________________
Hey, look what Heritage has.
________________________
Up to 35% off site-wide:
July 21 – 25
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off -- that means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more!

Next Time: Gary Boyarski, (well, kinda). I just said that.

7 comments:

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Oops...

"
I've read the essays (most of 'em) on the gentleman's site, no opinion on his opinion other than they were well written. I think he has some interesting ideas on Ditko's Spider-man up there as well.

I think Dave underestimates peoples' attention span both in the general sense across the web and particulaly at AMOC.

Thank you for sharing this, pretty classy of Dave to recommend it. Part 2 should be interesting.

cheers,

A Fake Name"

Accidentally deleted this.

Sorry A Fake Name, shan't happen again, I hope.

Manly

Anonymous said...

No problem oh Manly one, I appreciate you taking the time.

cheers,

A Fake Name

Steve said...


I don't remember exactly, but perhaps before # 150.

But hey, I've stuck around any way, right?

Steve

Tony Dunlop said...

This one's easy: April, 2004.

Tony again said...

Oops, my "bad": April 2004 was when I stopped buying Cerebus. I still pick it up and read it from time to time.

Tony one more time said...

I encourage any Cerebus fan who hasn't to follow the link in this post to the chap's Cerebus-related Blog posts. They are well thought out and, for me anyway, illuminating. (Although I don't understand how anyone could've quit Cerebus during "Melomoth.")

This is a guy - 'scuse me, bloke - who very much appreciates what Dave accomplished in the comics art form and in storytelling and narrative, but who didn't necessarily like all of it. Fair enough.

Andrew Rilstone said...

Only just saw this, and am slightly in shock.

The self-published (Lulu) booklet contains all the blog posts, plus a parody lettercol, and a couple of "historical" reviews - one from a fanzine I did in college, and one from the webpage which preceded my blog. You can either get it as a hard copy on Lulu, or as a PDF from me directly.

Flattered that Dave didn't hate it and thought it worth responding to.

http://www.andrewrilstone.com/2021/07/when-did-you-stop-reading-cerebus.html