Tuesday 2 July 2019

And now: Stan Drake!

Hi Everybody!

The Rigmarole:
This week's Auction is at $20 (US) from Jeff Seiler, and ends NEXT Saturday at noon!

COMIC LINK AUCTIONS!!! Six days left...

Wanna give Team Cerebus In Hell? the monies, but don't wanna deal with the hassle of going to a comicbook store and tracking down a copy of the latest Cerebus in Hell? One-Shot (The LGBTQetc. People is out now, it's funny, but it's no League of Extraordinary Cerebi...)? Well, we've got you covered They're even having a sale right now...

If you're in the market to dress like Dave Sim, you can buy a "Matt D's A Moment of Cerebus" t-shirt right here. Or, if you're one of those nostalgia buffs who likes the earlier funnier A Moment Of Cerebus posts, the Tim W. Logo is available too.

The remastered Volume 1 is available digitally for $9.99.

If you got a couple of extra bucks and want to do a fellow Cerebus fan a solid, Friend of the Blog Mike Battaglia has a go fund me here.

If you're looking for Cerebus the Barbarian Messiah, or Conversations. You got more than one way to behead a Borelean, Conversations, and Cerebus the Barbarian Messiah

Dave and Carson are planning a roadtrip.

And to celebrate America's "birthday" I'm talking to Eddie Khanna. If you got a question for the Heir to the throne, leave it here.
_______________________________

So looking through my copy of Comics Scene #8:
Image result for comics scene #8
Admit it, you think I'm gonna post the Dave and Deni interview, don't you?

I found an ad for The Illustrated Comic Art Workshop:

"Stan Drake" I said to myself, "I wonder if Dave has ever seen this?"

Well, this being the 21st Century, I consulted The Google, and found a site where a guy had uploaded scans

Here is Stan Drake's section from the first part: (if you click them, they get bigger:)









I faxed 'em up to Dave, but haven't heard back yet. I also sent the PDFs to Eddie Khanna, and he was pretty enthusiastic.

(I dig the part on page 9 where Drake talks about Alex Raymond...)

Enjoy, everybody!

Next Time: Hobbs tries to top this (and fails miserably...)

23 comments:

carson said...

What a find!

Absolutely terrifying how fast he could finish a daily! FOUR HOURS!?@!!#@#$%#^%&@%|$^

Birdsong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What size shirt does Dave wear these days?

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Anonymous,

Men's Medium.

Matt

Anonymous said...

Much appreciated, Matt.

Tony Dunlop said...

This is priceless. It's always fascinating reading when artists in my favorite medium - comics - write about their craft. Thanks!

Tony again said...

Speaking of "my favorite medium" - In Stock Trades (see link in the right margin of AMOC, under the "Page 45" logo) now has the Jaka's Story remaster. I ordered mine yesterday.

Jeff said...

"Always be original as you possibly can." Sage advice that, obviously, 32-some years later, DVS took to heart. And, followed.

Jeff said...

Tony? When/if Dave ships me five copies of C&SII (and, why the eff would he), if you can answer a (relatively) easy trivia question about the book, then you'll get a copy. Free, gratis.

You know, like I just got done doin'.

Jeff

Tony again said...

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know *any* of the JS answers off the top of my head, and didn't want to dig out the longbox my Cerebus issues are in.
I am no longer worthy to be called a Simcophant.

Anonymous said...

What issue of Jaka’s story did Tony have a letter printed in Aardvark-Comment? First person to answer wins a copy of the Remastered JAKA’s STORY from me ( you might have to wait a bit to get it though).
-Eddie

Jeff said...

Tony who? ;)

Jeff said...

BTW, Eddie, if you are *that* deep into "Cerebus" arcanea, then you really *should* be the next guy.

I actually don't wanna be, plus, Canada, as a country, doesn't really care for me. But, they think that I'm a nice enough American. Eh?

Paul Slade said...

I spotted a copy of the remastered Jaka's Story on display in London's Orbital Comics on Wednesday. With luck my mail order copy from Page 45 will arrive today!

Eddie said...

Jeff, I wish I could say it was from encyclopedic knowledge of all things Cerebus, but I had to look at the issue while researching a Comic Art Metaphysics moment while proofing Jaka’s Story. Which was weird; okay don’t know why his letter is in here, but just remember it is, and maybe it will come in useful somewhere.
Eddie

Jeff said...

Eddie, did you see my comment on the one error we both missed?

Jeff said...

Eddie, I just re-read some of our emails from a while back. You and I should stay in touch more often, bro-friend!

Jeff said...

Especially if we're going to co-proofread the other eight volumes.

Tony one more time said...

Jeez, it was just a fanboy LOC...nothing metaphysical about that. Trivia, yes indeedy...

Eddie said...

Ahh I meant it was Comic Art Metaphysics the thing I was looking up, not finding your letter (although that was interesting too). I don't think anyone's going to get it. Did you want it? Or did you want to donate it to a Cerebus fan in need, who can't afford to get one at this time? Or both and I'll give out 2 copies?

Tony again said...

"Or did you want to donate it to a Cerebus fan in need, who can't afford to get one at this time?"
That sounds good. I certainly don't need 2.

Eddie said...

Any Cerebus fan in need out there, who can't afford to get a copy of the remastered Jaka's Story? Or anyone know of someone? Or more than one person?

Jeff said...

Been there, done that, and I hsve a few CEREBUS t-shirts.

If yer gonna give away books, Eddie, ya gots to axe trivia questions. Like: Who were Jaka's first and last "boyfriends". And, no fair saying "Lord Julius".
.