Monday 22 July 2019

Eddie Khanna: COMIC ART METAPHYSICS: THE CHARIOT MANIFESTS

Hi Everybody!

Rigmarole:
I'm giving away free @#$%! (And NOT "pulling a Hemingway" and rushing to get done "so I can go down to La Floridita and drink my body weight in margaritas" (methphorically speaking) Here's what Larry Wooten got:
I really "phoned" this one in, so Larry got:

Version 2, (hopfully today in the mail).
Send pics of your @#$%ING Flimsy postcards From Hell? to momentofcerebus@gmail.com. Most bent to @#$% postcard wins a valuable prize from Dave Sim! (I think this is still going on...)
Also, the EXPERTLY REMASTERED CHURCH AND STATE VOL II is available to order NOW (Diamond Order Code JUL191359) Submit your ideas for the bookplate contest.
_________________________________________
Heir to the throne Eddie Khanna sent me:

On my last night in Kitchener (Friday July 12), Dave and I had just finished having dinner around 9pm in the upstairs “Study section” of the Rich Uncle Tavern (highly recommended. Check it out if you ever have the opportunity: https://www.richuncletavern.ca)

(we had tried twice previously to have dinner in the study section of the restaurant upstairs, and both times been told to come back, as the study section wasn’t open, but would be the next time we came in. Finally, on Friday, one of the supervisors went the extra mile and opened it up just for us).

…and had just left the establishment when we coincidentally walked straight into the “Cruising on King” Annual Classic Car Show taking place in downtown Kitchener…

(https://www.kitchenerevents.ca/whats-on/events?eventID=832)

…three to four blocks of around 30? classic cars from different decades, all parked along both sides of the closed off streets of downtown Kitchener with people walking up and down checking them out. Dave and I had the same thought: “Wonder if there’s a ’56 Corvette?”

Dave had to go back to the hotel a few blocks down for his prayer time, while I went on to check out the cars, and we arranged to meet afterwards.


Walking up the street, there were a lot of nice looking vintage cars, definitely eye catching and head turning, but no ’56 Corvette (which I really wasn’t expecting to find. I mean, what would be the chances of that?). I got to the end of the exhibition and turned around and began to walk in the other direction.




I was almost at the other end of the show when I saw it.


A Convertible Corvette. Not only a Convertible Corvette, but a Convertible Corvette that looked like Stan Drake’s car.




It was definitely a very nice looking car, getting a lot attention from the crowd, more so than the other cars. I went up to the owner who was standing next to it:


“Is that a ’56?”
“No, it’s a ’58. But very similar to a ’56.”

I began to circle around it. Once, twice, three times. Took out the phone and started snapping pictures. Paused to talk to the owner and tell him that I’m helping research a story for someone writing something that involves a ’56 Corvette, and who (to put it mildly) would be very interested to see this up close, and I’m just going to go and get him, and even though it’s getting close to the end of the event, would he be here for a bit longer?


He said he would be.


I walked, no, pretty much ran back to the other end of the exhibition where Dave’s hotel was, and Dave turned the corner onto the street just as I got there.


“Dave! ’58 Corvette at the other end!”

We began to, I won’t say run, but let’s just say walk very, very quickly towards it, with me thinking the whole time, “I hope it’s still there. I hope it’s still there.”

It was still there.


Now it was Dave’s turn to start circling the car, and I began to take pictures. Dave started talking to the owner (“So you’re the guy writing the story?”).




Even though there was a sign saying not to touch the car, Dave got permission to sit in it, first the driver’s side, and then getting out and into the passenger side, all the while analyzing the car up close and asking questions.




I was trying to get as many pictures and video as possible, trying to focus and while Dave continued asking questions and getting a better sense of the car. The owner mentioned some upcoming Corvette shows in Ontario, and gave us the name of an organization called the “Canadian Council of Corvette Clubs”(or “Quad C”) that he suggested we check out, as they might have a ’56 Corvette.





The sun was setting, and people were packing up and getting ready to leave. This was one of the last cars left on the street. Dave asked for the owner’s name and number, and I took it down.

His name was Stan.




I’ll be posting more pics and video to the Patreon site later.


-Eddie
 Well thanks Eddie!

Next Time: What new strange horrors lurk in the Ol' AMOC Mailbag? (No, not T. Casey Brennan and more titties, pull your pants back up you perverts!)

6 comments:

Jeff Seiler said...

Okay, first, Eddie? Fuuuuuuuuuck Yoooooooou!

I thought that I always had had the best "spend a day with Dave Sim story", which is a pretty good story, but, "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Yoooooooooou!!!!!"

And?, having said that, FUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOU!!!!!

No, sorry, no...bad Jeff. BAD Jeff. Do you want to spend the *whole* day in the hidey-hole? BAD Jeff!

Erm. What I meant to say was ... no ... still haven't gotten it out of my system ... fuhhhhhh ...

Okay. System cleared. All systems normal; proceed with operations.

(But, seriously ... Eddie?)

Slumbering Agartha said...

Not having ANY "spend the day with Dave Sim" stories (yet... YET...) to tell, let me just say, to both Jeff AND Eddie:

FUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOU!!!!!

Tony Dunlop said...

Nobody's grabbed the "low-hanging fruit" yet, so...Make sure you tell Stan that if he knows any guys named Alex, FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T LET THEM DRIVE THE 'VETTE.

Carson Grubaugh said...

Because... WHY NOT?!

Which has become the standard response from the SDOAR team to this kind of stuff.

*backs away slowly* *keeps on shuffling*

Jeff said...

Okay, sorry, Eddie. I don't mean it personally, just ... generally.

BUT.

Eddie said...

Jeff, no offence taken, but as a heads up: the pictures from my visit are probably going to get worse for you before they get better