Saturday 30 April 2022

Dave (begins) to remember Neal Adams.

Hi, Everybody!

If you haven't heard yet, Neal Adams died yesterday.

And as you can expect, I got a fax from Dave:


I could only find images of these two. (click for bigger):


I'm sure Dave and I will be discussing Neal further when we Please Hold For Dave Sim next week. Get your questions in to momentofcerebus@gmail.com

Speaking of Heritage, they're gonna be auctioning off a whole buttload of original Cerebus Art. Including, but not limited to, the complete issue #4. I wanna buy it and give it to Dave. I can't afford that, so I'm looking for a handout. So far, I've gotten pledges from seven people for a total of $5,528.11 (Thanks Dion!) And since the two "big fish" want the art to go back to Dave, THAT'S the plan. But, as I keep reminding everybody, Money Talks, Bullshit Walks. So, if you WANT a page of the art, pledge more than Dion's $2500, and YOU get to dictate who gets what...
____________________________________
Cerebus in Hell?:
The Uncrucifiable Cerebus Goes To A Gay Bar MAY221082 Order Cut Off May 26, 2022
____________________________________
Please fill out your surveys so I can get the copy Travis is buying from me.
Also, if you missed out like Al, there's an IndieGoGo.
And if you didn't wanna deal with Kickstarter or the Waverly Press, guess what's in the new previews.
____________________________________
Sean & Carson have a store with TWO misprinted copies of SDOAR with "Blue Meanie" sketches.
____________________________________
Oliver's Cerebus movie: The Absurd, Surreal, Metaphysical, and Fractured Destiny of Cerebus the Aardvark is currently available "Plex", "Xumo", "Vimeo On Demand", "Tubi".
____________________________________
Up to 35% off site-wide:
April 30
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off -- that means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more!
Next Time: Cerebus 300...

6 comments:

Steve B. said...

I just looked up GL/GA 83, page 3, and I ... um ... what??? THAT is one of the two "greatest pages ever by Neal Adams?

Well, OK, if that's Dave's opinion, that's Dave's opinion, but it wouldn't be on MY list of top 10

Paul Slade said...

What happens on that page, Steve? I'm hoping your description might be enough to jog my memory so I don't have to go to all the trouble of finding that issue in my longboxes.

Steve said...


Growing up Neal was one of the first comics artists I remember thinking of as 'good' - in that his art was more reminiscent of reality that any other comic art I knew of.

(But then, with the old Gold Key Donald and Scrooge comics I had, I could also tell one artist / writer was better than the others ~~ Carl Barks, of course.)

And while the GL/GA series was groundbreaking and all that I'd have to peg his artistic highwater point with the Superman vs Muhammed Ali treasury title. I read that to pieces!

Steve

Tony Dunlop said...

I had not heard about Neal. Thank you for the news.
In addition to his sheer artistic skills, Neal was, of course, a key figure in the promotion of creators' rights in the comics industry, which as we all know was and is near and dear to Dave Sim's heart. Neal Adams' contribution to this art form everyone here loves so much cannot be overstated.
He will be missed.

Steve B. said...

I found an online copy of the page and was going to come in here and see if I could post it somehow, but I see that yesterday's entry includes a black-and-white copy of it, so you can see it for yourself.

It's a good page, to be sure. Lots going on there and I'm sure Dave could explicate for you just exactly WHY he thinks it's the best Neal Adams page of all time. But like I said, it wouldn't be on my list.

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Steve,

I think you're inferring that Dave considers that particular page as one of Neal's best.

I infer that Dave likes ALL Neal pages, and that particular page was in that particular Heritage catalog. And Dave is thinking of getting prints made of whatever he can.

I could be wrong...

Kinda can't wait to see what "Grandpa" thinks of the folder of every Neal original I can download, that I'ma gonna email to him...

Manly Matt Dow