Saturday 13 August 2022

Saturday! The wife's away! Matt wants to play! So he cleans up the AMOC Mailbay...g.

Hi, Everybody!

Back at the beginning of the month Eduardo set me (for Dave):
Dears Mr. Dave Sim - and Manly Matt Dow,

I am very happy with your response. Thank you very much.

I think some things I didn't understand.

About Advanced, do you say that the ideal thing is for me to try to sell my translation on your platform? If that's what I understand, I think it will be wonderful.

About Portuguese-Brazil and Portuguese-Portugal, there are few differences - the reader from one country or the other can read material from one or the other - however, some words have different meanings. Brazilian Portuguese is like North American English. Portuguese from Portugal, on the other hand, is like British English. But I have no intention of selling the material in Portugal. Unless, after the Catarse campaign, I can make it available on Amazon and, in this way, Portugal can buy via the web.

About the material to start, you are really right. Another idea came to me. Looks like there's color material originally published in Marvel's Epic Illustrated, right? It seems that they are short and colorful stories.

Other than that, there's also material that isn't in the phone books, right? So I think, if possible, we'll start with this material. Do you think it would be possible to gather everything that is not in the phone books to make a special edition? So, in the campaign, I say that if this material is successful, that we will bring the telephone directories, starting with volume 1.

I think this is the best way to go. We would test the market and feel the acceptance of the Brazilian public. What do you think? How many pages would this colorful material, short stories, etc. make? A trade paperback of how many pages? Do you have all this material available?

Another question: Cerebus Archive, what is it about? Do you have unpublished stories in it? https://comicvine.gamespot.com/cerebus-archive/4050-26696/. I would also like to know about Cerebus Jam. Can this material be published?

And you also commented on CEREBUS #1. What's in this edition? Is it the first original number, but remastered?

And CEREBUS #0, from 1993. Is it new material? Or is it compilation of material from the 300 issues/16 volumes?

As for Swords of Cerebus, if it's the same stuff that's in the phone books, I think I might spoil the collection if readers are interested in the complete collection. I believe that the telephone directories, I must publish in the same way that you did there in the USA/Canada. If I start with Sword of Cerebus, I'd have to pull that stuff out of the volume 1 phone book, correct?

I really imagine, therefore, as a tasting for the Brazilian public, we start with the unpublished, short stories, both in black and white and in color, of the material that is not included in the 16-volume collection.

Thank you very much for everything, for the directions and for the great reception. All going well with our conversation, I really hope to do a good job.

I await your possible return.

Yours sincerely,
Best regards

Eduardo Alves
Editora Futuro
And Dave responded:

 Speaking of Incoming Messages From The Big Giant Head, Colin Upton sent:
Hi Dave and minions. Just to let you know I am working on this with a rough, very rough cover idea. It’s how I roll, man. It’s a difficult writing assignment and I am choosing my words carefully while having a bit of fun. It touches on some serious issues. Looking like 20-24 pages at the moment. I thought it would be fum, and honestly as I am not particularly good at caricature, to portray you with the sort of stock image you use in Cerebus in Hell but with a Dave Sim head (or two, one younger with hair and the other older with shaved head) on Cerebus’s body. I wouldn’t do that on a computer of course but would photocopy and paste Dave/Cerebus’s onto the art pages. At the moment i am not concerned with correct spelling as it interferes with my flow... man... I’m so West coast.

I sent it up to Dave, who sent back:

And Colin said:
Ha ha ha - sweet! Although I would rather have a squire/newsboy/ flat/duckbill cap in black or grey on my head as it's more my style. Never a baseball cap!
Thanks
Colin
 And I sent that to Dave, and he came back with:
That's the photo of the hat Coin sent.

And then Dave sent me:
And:

Okay, Moment enough...

Next Time: "Nipples and whipped cream"...


6 comments:

Michiel said...

I’ve been getting my copy of CIH since it started, and I wouldn’t mind an increase of 1 USD. I would prefer that to having more variant covers to goose the numbers.

The Literate Engineer said...

$5.00 today is the equivalent of $1.22 back in 1979.
Just saying’.

N. Reese said...

Could we get an update on where the various restored volumes are? I keep trying to ask if Guys got restored, since it’s green on cerebus downloads now.

john g. said...

I never really liked the term “phonebooks” to describe the large Cerebus reprint volumes, but I absolutely refuse to accept “telephone directories.”

Anonymous said...

Interesting how the term phonebook is almost an anachronism since phones, books, and phonebooks have almost completely disappeared from society, replaced by tablets, kindles, and the cloud.

Tony Dunlop said...

Sure, Anon, but since the last issue of Cerebus came out almost 20 years ago, the audience for this stuff is pretty much old farts - at least one of whom still uses actual phone books when looking for certain types of businesses.
Gum, Gum.