Monday 28 November 2022

Gerhard Backgrounds Foregrounded, Centralia by Miel Vandepitte, and more

 Sean Michael Robinson:

Well hello fellow aadvarkians!

It's been a while directly writing you all. But our gracious host Matt Blogger suggested I write an update about some of the Cerebus-adjacent things I've been up to!

First off, I got Gerhard-ized. Here's how I described this on the FaceBooks.

"How wild was this week? This'll give you some idea. This piece is currently on my drawing board, temporarily, but it's about to head back to its owner. The portrait was drawn by me many months ago, with a large brush, rather wildly. And the background was entirely created and drawn by the legendary Gerhard. Details included to get an idea of the stunning level of detail on this. Quite an experience to have this arrive in the mail!"






This was really quite the thing to receive in the mail, and quite the experience to view the transformation.

Weirdly enough, I actually drew the central image twice, the first time on camera (where it was promptly destroyed by some type of spill immediately after filming). Here's a video of the first pass at the image.


In a way  I'm glad the first version was destroyed, as the second has a lot more verve and attention to shadow etc, and I ended up giving Gerhard a lot more white space to work with.

Second big item —Living the Line just launched a Kickstarter presale for the graphic novel debut of Flemish cartoonist Miel Vandepitte. He's got a wild style—very stylized clean-line characters wandering in a highly-detailed, architecturally wild world that's been stricken by environmental disaster. Miel is really into pro wrestling, which I think comes through in the anything-goes environments and characters, as well as the heightened drama of the various conflicts. An incredible debut, and one I can't be prouder to be bringing into English.







Currently available for preorder at your local comic store, book store, or through our Kickstarter, which just launched!

Lastly, I've been working on a lot of Cerebus stuff too... but you're probably hearing about most of it through Waverly Press/Dagon. :) Be sure to follow them on Instagram so you can follow along too! 

Hope you all are doing well.


Thanks, Sean.  And it's Monday:





No comments: