Saturday 5 November 2022

Please Hold For Dave Sim 11/2022

Hi, Everybody!

Well, Please Hold For Dave Sim didn't happen this week. As I faxed to Dave (and he responded):

So I faxed up what I had:
Dave,
Here’s all I got:
On October, 26, Michael R. of Easton, PA sent me:
Hi Matt!
I hope you and your family enjoy Halloween this year whenever your community celebrates Trick or Treating. I MAILED Dave a letter on Monday, October 24th. In it I had my question for Please Hold For. I don't think Dave gonna get it. So here it is. PSST. I guess I didn't bypass you after all. :)

Hi Dave!

The last 2 weeks there hasn't been a Weekly Update from you. So, this time I'm going to bypass Manly Matt Dow (sorry Matt) and ask my question directly to you for Please Hold for Dave Sim. Is this a blip to having them come on weekly or are you going to stop the Weekly Update permanently? If so, are you planning to replace the Weekly Update with something else?
Michael R.

 (I didn’t read this until now.) The answer is in your Fax to me on 26, October which I posted as “Dave's Weekly Update #...uh, this one.” on 28th, October.

Geez this is gonna be a REALLY short one…

 So, Michael, see the link for the answer to your question.
MJ Sewall asks:
Hey, Mr. Manly Matt (in case no one has thanked you for all you do lately, thank you!)
An (eventual) question for Dave:
Reading, once again, through my favorite 6000 page novel (spoiler alert: it’s Cerebus), I frequently stopped and marveled at a particular page.
What struck me this time was the use of light and shadow. Especially page 93 of Church and State (page 4 of issue 56). Stunning use of technique in multiple ways on one page.
Question: What/who is your main influence for this? You’ve spoken of Will Eisner, and of course Neal Adams, but are there others? Who comes to mind when you are doing heavy light sources and shadows?
Thanks again,
You ever-increasingly long-winded fan,
M.J. (Mike) Sewall
P.S. – The YouTube videos have stopped. Is everything okay?
Re: his P.S. “THIRD BAS…um, OCTOBER 28TH!

 
 


The last thing I sent up was:
And Travis sent in:
Hi Matt,

I found this cool, old comic from 1994 called Under Terra by Jason Williams.

Attached is Random Thoughts from the cartoonist’s inside front cover.  This comic likely had a small circulation so Dave may not have noticed the support back then. 


Sorry Travis, Dave didn't send me anything about this.
____________________________________
That's it, that's your Please Hold.

Larry asked me to remind everyone that the Auctions for these:


End on Sunday. After that it's a mad dash to Thursday which is the deadline for helping Larry out.

So be a pal and help Mr. Shell save his home.

And if you donate $10 you'll be in the running for an original version of this:

(I gotta figure out why my ink is all gray and watery before I can do #2-5...)
Dave knew:


__________________________
I hope everybody that wanted a TMNT #8 Ashcan got one. And everybody who DIDN'T want one didn't get one. And that if anybody didn't want one and did get one, that they can find somebody who did want one but didn't get one and make a deal. THIRD BASE!
___________________________________
Cerebus in Hell?:
____________________________________
And Sean's has launched a new Kickstarter. You can get The Exile from your LCS too.
____________________________________
Oliver's Cerebus movie: The Absurd, Surreal, Metaphysical, and Fractured Destiny of Cerebus the Aardvark it's currently available on "Plex", "Xumo", "Vimeo On Demand", "Tubi".  And if you're in Brazil...
____________________________________
Heritage has SIX pages of original art, and FIVE covers (three of them are a single lot)! Kevin with the scanner's cup runneth over...
____________________________________
Up to 35% off site-wide: 
They ain't said yet... I'm starting to get a little pissed off... Today I guess(?)
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off -- that means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more!

Next Time: Sean sent me the PDF of the Remastered The Last Day, so that's neat as hell...

4 comments:

JLH said...

Yay! A month off! Oh wait, I'm still 6 months behind. Bah.

(I asked a question a month or two ago about the Last Day phonebook solicit in one of my emails to you with Please Hold transcripts, but it seemed to have gotten lost in the shuffle)

Travis Pelkie said...

That’s a different Travis, in case anyone is wondering. The last time I emailed Manly Matt was around when Drew Ford passed away.

Travis H. said...

Yes, different Travis.

Matt, thanks for sending it along to Dave.

Anonymous said...

As if Seth hasn't eaten tons of shit over the years over Joe Matt.