Tuesday 22 March 2022

Pieces of Turtles 8 #2: IT BEGINS...

Hi, Everybody!

So, as regular readers of Oliver's Sunday "Around the World & Web" column know, Josh Even has commissioned a @#%&-ton of Cerebus with Barbarian Turtles pieces. Like these:




Well, I sent Dave a file of all the ones I had that Oliver had shown. And yesterday I got this fax for me and Josh:
So I sent this to Josh, and he sent it out to the artists he's worked with.

And there were some questions, I tried to answer them, but quickly hit the "That's a question for Dave" wall and faxed him:
Dave,

I sent the Josh Even fax to Josh, and he’s contacted a number of the artists.

They have questions.

Example:
Hey Matt,

I got this letter from Josh. I wanted to thank you for including me in the list of potential artists for this. So, I wanted to clarify? We would do a few pages and then pay for our own print run? Is that the gist of the idea?

And I responded with:
Hi!

As I understand it, yes.

Dave's doing a remastered reprint of Turtles #8 in January. The problem Dave ran into, is he had completely forgotten that TMNT 8 is 45 PAGES LONG. Which poses a problem for whoever ends up doing the Kickstarter. How much extra material can you get into a book that's already a MINIMUM 45 pages long? So, Dave did a 18 page fanzine called PIECES OF TURTLES 8 that was the planning stages for that. "Here's what I would include."

The first one was a hit, and he's doing a second one.

Where you come in, is a version of that second one (which is still being assembled, when I can get a PDF from Dave's team, I'll send it along.) where you include your commission for Josh as the cover, and drop out as many pages of Dave's content as you want, and add (how'd Dave put it?): "'What TURTLES 8 Means to Me' as well as their cover? Or Cerebus & Turtles sketches." As much or as little as you want. We're not dictating anything.

When Dave's Pieces of Turtles 8 #2 (Or whatever he ends up calling it), goes to Studio Comix Press in Kitchener, Ontario for printing, they'd print off as many copies as you'd like, and Dave will sign as many of them as you'd like (depending on Print Run. He says in his letter he'll sign 10%, but that's if you want 100 or more. I ASSUME that if you want under fifty, Dave'd be willing to sign the whole print run.)

TO put it in perspective, Dave did an exclusive Canadian price version of POT8 that was only available for a week through "his" website that ended up getting a print run of 125 copies. Then he did the American priced version on Kickstarter, that ended up with a print run of 325 copies of Pieces Of Turtles 8 No. 1 for 158 backers. So, the numbers aren't THAT large.

The OTHER option, if you don't wanna wait on Dave and international shipping, is to print through your favorite more local printer, and Dave will sign as many copies as you want to send him (which now that I type it, is just the printing through Dave's guy backwards...). But, you can start selling UNsigned by Dave copies as soon as your guy gets them to you. (I ask that you sign three copies and send them to Dave for his archive.)

The other thing to keep in mind is that Studio Comix Press can do metallic ink printing. Here's the cover to POT8 #1:
So if you wanted that as an option, it's possible.

The OTHER idea that was bandied about, but I think Dave forgot about, was doing oversized trading cards of the commission on the front and a short bio/your thoughts on the back. The proposed size was just a little under comic book dimensions. I don't know if that idea is off the table or not, but it's there too.

There's a LOT of "up in the air" to this project, so if looking at this gives you an idea that you wanna try, pitch it, and I'll get it to Dave for his feedback.

I'm also including the Ironwood font Dave used on the cover, to save you the trouble of tracking it down if you want it and don't have it.

I hope this only answers any questions you had and doesn't just give you twelve more.

But if anything comes up, ask away. If I don't know the answer, I know a guy who probably does.

Manly Matt Dow
Interim Editor
A Moment of Cerebus

So, just to clarify:
1. Did I get anything wrong?
2. The artists pay for their copies wherever they get them printed, right?
3. If Alfonso prints them, you’ll sign 10% if the print run is over 100, but if it’s fifty or less, you’ll sign more, or all?
4. If they get the books printed elsewhere and send them to you for signing, is there a limit on how many you’ll sign?
5. Are the giant size trading cards still on the table?
6. any idea what the price point is for the comics?
7. Or the trading cards (if’n they’re still on the table)?
8. Any idea on how long POT8 #2 is?

I ONLY mention the trading cards for the “Bill Ritter Factor” printing 14 versions of the same book with variant covers and two or three pages of alternate interiors is more Spawn #10 than I think some fans will support. But taking the cover and turning it into a 6 and a half inch by 10 inch trading card with a short bio/thoughts on Cerebus/turtles 8 on the back along with:
DON’T MISS THE REMASTERED TMNT #8 COMING IN JANUARY 2023! VISIT A MOMENT OF CEREBUS.COM FOR UPDATES

on the bottom. I see Alfonso lists trading cards as an option on Studio Comix Press’s website. Would you be willing to sign the cards? And at what quanities?
Just spitballin’
Manly Matt Dow
And Dave faxed back:
That last paragraph is why I like working with Dave...

So, I like the trading card idea. I think all you fans out there might like it too. Here's my mock-up of one:
This is one of Dave's "top two" picks. And it's just a crude mock-up I did. Birdsong or Hobbs would make it pretty...
This is my VERY crude mock-up of what the back of the oversized card would look like. Obviously, it'd get SUPER prettied up before it went to print...

But, this post is mostly for the supremely talented artistic partners Josh has approached.
The finer points are:
  1. You would do a few pages and then pay for your own print run.
  2. It's $975 Canadian for 250 copies which at today's exchange rate is $775.53 US. 
  3. Dave sold his copies for $25 US, if you sell yours for $20, and you sell out that's $5000. 
  4. Now, if any of you guys want in, but are having sticker shock, you guys could team-up to pool money to buy the books and split them amongst yourselves.
  5. The goal is K.I.S.S., Keep It Simple Stupid. Nobody (me) needs to reinvent the wheel here.
  6. And if you got a better idea, pitch it. Dave'll listen and decide where he's at with it.
Okay, I'll leave it here.

Any questions, feel free to ask here, or email momentofcerebus@gmail.com.

Next Time: Hobbs and his Pieces of Cerebus in Hell? pitch...
 

7 comments:

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Damian,

A free 16 page 'zine they can slightly modify and sell for $20. They keep all the profits and Dave gets a free ad for the Remastered Turtles 8 (hopefully in front of eyes that wouldn't normally see it), Josh (hopefully) gets his commissions offer in front of more artists so he can continue to build his (frankly insane, yet totally awesome) collection of Cerebus with the Turtles as barbarians. AND, the artists with slightly less name recognition get the boost of the Turtles and Cerebus to expand their work (hopefully).

Manly Matt Dow

Travis Pelkie said...

Actually, the issue that comes to mind is “will the owners of TMNT be cool with this?”. It’s probably too small for Nickelodeon (I think) to go after, but you never know. Yeah, Dave worked on TMNT 8 so there shouldn’t be a problem with him, but once you introduce other artists after the fact, will there be an issue there? I think most companies take a hands off approach about sketch books and the like featuring copyrighted characters, but you never know. Just a thought.

Otherwise, I think the trading card idea would be pretty cool, because that would be a good way to see those great art pieces.

Margaret said...

Please please please do trading cards instead of so many different versions of the same book with different covers. ugh. I'm not Ms Money Bags or Ms Unlimited Space to Store Stuff.

Bill Ritter said...

To clarify "Bill Ritter factor"...

I'm fine with 16 or 20 or 50 different covers for the kickstarter. Be up front about it...it's the adding of additional covers after the campaign starts I find infuriating.

Other things Bill Ritter hates: "Limited to 50"...no, it's now "100"...changing limited offerings. Adding multiple 1 of 1 of essentially the same thing and calling it limited 1 of 1. Adding stretch goals that the supporter needs to pay for ("hey! thank you for getting us to $80k - now for $30 you can get this item previously unavailable"). Golly, there are likely a hundred more things...


Glen said...

I'd prefer prints instead of trading cards. I never know what to do with the cards whereas I can frame the prints or place them in an art portfolio.

But I'm with Margaret. I don't need 7 versions of the same issue. Make multiple prints of the covers.

Unknown said...

While I'm really happy that there has been some outreach by Dave to a few of the artists who are part of my collection, I agree that this isn't really an opportunity for the fans. The way I see it, it's more for the artists than us. They get a chance to self-publish a book that features their art and story right alongside Dave. They sell it to their fans, and that hopefully increases the Cerebus 'brand awareness.'
I am certainly thinking about how to publish the entire art collection, so that Cerebus fans can get a physical copy of the pieces.
Still a lot of figuring to do, but I would absolutely love to get that done somehow.

Josh

interstateNINJA said...

As an indie comics creator, I write and draw Ninjas & Robots and the Orange Blossom Monkey Clan published by Keenspot, this is sort of an indie collaboration dream. I for the most part have a monthly book (Covid, printing delays, and paper shortages have been a nightmare) but a lot of my fans can pick up my comics from their local shops or order online. Ordering online has really diminished the need to find books in your local store, or to buy from creators at shows. I get it. But in order to keep the need for fans to want to buy something new from me at conventions I have to create something new regularly. Whether those are mini-comics, zines, sketchbooks, prints, tshirts, or whatever, the struggle is real keeping things new and fresh. And when you’re already doing a monthly comic, it’s very difficult. Enter this opportunity. Dave is providing a good chunk of content, and we are free to do our thing for the cover, and add some material of our own. This is a dream scenario. We’d be making stuff to take to shows anyway, and this way we have a chunk of content from a legendary creator already ready to go… why the heck not?? Let’s go! If anything, I’d say let’s beef up this book more! Printing is not terribly expensive and if you make something people will want, they’re gonna buy it! Sorry for the long winded response. It seems like a no-brainer. I’m just not understanding the hesitation. If you do shows, you absolutely need stuff like this for your table, or even your online shop, or your local comic book store. It’s win-win for everyone.