Saturday 5 March 2022

Please Hold For Dave Sim 3/2022

Hi, Everybody!

First Saturday of the month, so...

I wasn't gone, and Dave wasn't ill, so Please Hold Time!

First the audio:

Then the Visuals:

Part 1:
Dave got this fax from a screen writer:

And as you can see in the video, Oliver got their first: The Absurd, Surreal, Metaphysical, and Fractured Destiny of Cerebus the Aardvark is currently available "Plex", "Xumo", "Vimeo On Demand", "Tubi".

Then Dave answers Michael R. of Easton Pennsylvania's question:
Hi Matt!

Hope all is well with you and yours. I hope you enjoyed your vacation. Here's my question for Dave.
Michael

Hi Dave!

I hope you're on the mend and feeling better.

I started a reread of the Cerebus Archive comic books. A big thing I noticed while you were getting to Cerebus' beginnings of the comic book was that you had written many short stories for money in the 1970's. So, my question is:

Since you have had drawing limitations now, have you considered to be a hired gun freelancing short stories again like you did in the past and recently with Richard Starking's Elephantmen? I'm sure you must have many ideas for short stories and I'm still sure that your mind for short stories is sharper than when Alex Raymond had to get his series seven number two brush to the finest point.
Michael R.
Which leads into a discussion of what kind of work Dave's doing on The Strange Death of Alex Raymond Volume 3:

Part 2:
More about Dave's mock-ups for SDOAR vol.3 (about a hundred pages done!)

Then Dave's answer to MJ Sewall's question:
Hey Dave and Matt,

Sorry to hear you are ill. Feel better.

The Moment of Cerebus site mentions on Saturday, 19 November 2011 (from Cerebus TV, it also hints) a book about to be published called Dave Sim's Last Girlfriend by Dave Sim & Susan Alston, Simon & Schuster, $16.99. Goodreads lists this book with a cover photo of Dave and Susan kissing in a sunset, and another cover I found is a badly drawn cartoon of Dave spanking Susan as she is bent over his lap (ankles tied). Listed as first published August 7, 2012, 160 pages, then says lower down that it was published on April 26, 2016, by BOOM! Studios. It is only listed on odd foreign sites and not available to buy anywhere.
Question – does this exist or is it just an elaborate goofy hoax?
The Covers:


As you can see, I blew up the second cover and figured out the discrepancy MJ saw and Dave disproves:

Anyway, In part 3, Dave answers Margaret's question about this:
Dave answers Jason Trimmer's question:
Hi Matt and Dave,

I know this question will cover some ground that has been discussed recently, but it's something I've been wondering about and this might be a good chance to sum things up, again.

2021 was the year I updated my phone book collection with all the digital remasters currently available, and filled in those trades I hadn't previously owned. I think it's worth restating what a fantastic job Sean Michael Robinson did with the remastered versions. They are beautiful! They prompted my re-reading the first half of the series. Naturally, I wished Melmoth had a remastered edition and I long to have a complete remastered set of trades on my shelf. Hey - who doesn't?

The recent news that Waverly Press would be doing a remastered edition of "Form and Void" was interesting. I'm fine paying $70 for a Waverly edition, but that seems a bit high for the direct market. Maybe I misunderstood and $70 was just for the Waverly version and the retail price for a direct market version would be lower. Either way - does Dave think this is the most feasible way forward for getting the remastered editions out there, given the current state of the direct market, and the place of the Cerebus trades in it? How far out is he comfortable extrapolating? Is it just one volume at a time, or is there a grand plan for getting the remaining collected editions in print?

Thank you both,
Jason Trimmer
And the short answer, is you'll find out on Tuesday, when the Waverly Press Kickstarter for Form & Void goes "live"...

(That's where I got the images in the video from.)

AND, as I keep trying to remind everyone, the $70 price tag doesn't mean that Dave gets $70 everytime a copy sells. Half the price goes to the retailer, because Diamond gives a 50% discount (on average) to the retailers. And Dave doesn't get $35 a copy, because he has to give a discount to Diamond (around 10%). And Dave doesn't make $31.50, because he has to pay the printer (and if I remember the video YOU JUST WATCHED, that's like twenty bucks...). So Dave's gonna clear like $6.50 a copy...

Part 5:
Dave answers Steve Swenson's question:
Hey Matt,

OK, just to be a real pisser:
Why carrots?
Why carrots on Monday?
Why not carrots on some other day?
Why 3lbs of carrots on Monday?
3lbs of carrots EVERY Monday?
Is there a similar vegetable you eat on other mornings?

And by the way Dave, I really enjoyed what you did with POT8, for me at least the "remembered fun" aspect of the project shows through.

Matt -- ComicLink has 2 Cerebus pages up for auction, FYI. And the mercenary money-hungry capitalist in me wishes I'd bought all the extra POT8 Canadian you'd bought; I'd own almost 10% of the copies in existence...
Steve

So there ya go. And It's only THREE minutes to Midnight...
____________________________________
Heritage, they got a bunch of neat Cerebus stuff.
____________________________________
Oliver's Cerebus movie: The Absurd, Surreal, Metaphysical, and Fractured Destiny of Cerebus the Aardvark is currently available "Plex", "Xumo", "Vimeo On Demand", "Tubi".
____________________________________
Up to 35% off site-wide:
March 9 – 13
March 23 – 27
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off -- that means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more!

Next Time: Oliver and a STERNLY worded letter to the anonymous screenwriter from Dave's fax...

6 comments:

Steve said...


Some part of Carly Simon's wealth, as evidenced by the Marth's Vineyard mansion mentioned by Dave, could be 'related' to her father Richard Simon being a co-founder of Simon & Schuster publishing. He died in 1960 when Carly was 15, so she may have come into an inheritance sometime after that.

And to her own credit Carly had quite a few radio hits in the day so I'd expect had her own 'earned' income.

Info courtesy Wikipedia, opinion courtesy me.

Steve

john g. said...

A show about “people successfully living with mental illness” in New York City? Completely unnecessary. Just got off the subway in upper Manhattan and I can report that everyone appears to be perfectly well-adjusted and living their best lives…

Anonymous said...

At first I thought that was a bass guitar Matt was playing, now I think it's a six-string. That was you right, Manly one? Sounded good. I figure you get some playing in while waiting on Dave.

As for the cartoon, when I saw it I thought:

a) There's an image I never needed to see.
b) Whomever drew that did a good job, that looks like Dave.

Turns out it was him all along!

And that's it.

cheers,

A Fake Name

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

A Fake Name:

Nope not me.

It's my ringtone: the intro bass to Black Sabbath's Nativity In Black.

I don't edit it out because I'm trying to see how long I can go before YouTube flags it as a copyright violation...

Manly Matt Dow

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Thanks for the explanation. Aside from a song here and there I've never listened to Black Sabbath.

Peace!

A Fake Name

Tony Dunlop said...

I recognize the riff - I've been a Sabbath fan for decades - but I'm embarrassed to admit I never knew what "N.I.B." stood for before. So I guess I'm not a hardcore fan...