Thursday 5 December 2019

Trail of the Albatross

MARGARET LISS:
A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

Another look at Dave Sim's first Cerebus notebook, which we just saw in last week's The Way to Sannozay. Why? Because of (American) Thanksgiving holiday break, and 4 home games in 7 days - a game every day - and another Bruins event this week means time to write this column is short.
How about a quick sketch by Dave:

Notebook 1, page 168
Or perhaps some sketches of Mary Astor, the precursor to Astoria:

Notebook 1, page 184
And if Elrod is the thin man, does that make Astoria Nora Charles?

7 comments:

Brian West said...

I really dig that first sketch.

Dion said...

The mouth and the eyes are giving me a Marianne Faithful vibe.

Steve said...




...Bruins....

That's hockey, right?

Steve

Tony Dunlop said...

No, UCLA football.

(ducks)

Margaret said...

Tony, thanks for the giggle. Those guys are Bruins as well, just a different species of Bruin. :D

Yeah, the Boston Bruins hockey team. I celebrated attending my 500th Boston Bruins game by taking today off and sleeping in as there is another game tomorrow night.

Jeff said...

I see both a little bit of Deni and a little bit of Prince Mick in that first sketch.

Tony again said...

"The mouth and the eyes are giving me a Marianne Faithful vibe."

Yeah, me too; and this would have been just a couple-three years after her magnificent album "Broken English." I somehow don't think of that kind of music as being on Dave's radar, but who knows...?