Tuesday 6 June 2023

SDOAR 2023 #23: Magnifying Lamp? Jewelers Loupe? Wait, What?!?

 "Short term, this looks like a job for Jennifer <laugh> and also Philip Frey... and definitely I will be looking through at the Giant-Sized Ashcans when they're done and going, 'Is this Sean-Robinson-level quality?' which definitely I am hoping for, which means looking at a lot of it under the magnifier lamp and also jewelers loupe. I'm really, really looking forward to that because I think what it's going to end up being is serialized and at some point collected into a 354-page book where this is Dave Sim's mockups, and I will write an introduction for it."                             - Dave Sim, Please Hold for Dave Sim

What a week! 

The sewer line in my mom's basement burst -- and since she is 87 years old and barely mobile, I am managing her nursing care and everything else for four years now. Seven different plumbing folks have been working on these lines for close to a week. Why? Well, the house she lives in is literally 125 years old. 

Then her phone, internet and cable went out because of the water damage. Which means my 87-year-old mom can't watch Law & Order: SVU or NCIS. Where's Matlock when you need him? That, hopefully, will be resolved today.

Then Spectrum Internet went out for all of Lower Manhattan (where I live) for all of Monday. Then I hurt my lower back. Like badly. Ouchie.

Things can't get much worse, right? How about I take a break and listen to my favorite monthly audio program, Please Hold for Dave Sim with Manly Matt Dow. That's going to be totally relaxing with no additional stress added, right? 

Wrong,

Let's do a Wayne's World style flashback to Jen listening to Please Hold..., already in progress...

DAVE SIM: Short-term, this looks like a job for Jennifer...

JEN (INTERNAL MONOLOGUE): Hey, a shout out! 

MANLY MATT: <evil laugh>

JEN (INTERNAL MONOLOGUE): Hey, Manly, watch it!

DAVE SIM: ...and also Philip Frey.

JEN (INTERNAL MONOLOGUE): Hmmm, I wonder if Dave's pronunciation of "Fry" was correct?

DAVE SIM: ...and definitely I will be looking through at the Giant-Sized Ashcans when they're done and going, 'Are these Sean-Robinson-level quality?'

JEN (INTERNAL MONOLOGUE): Uh-oh. Calm down, Jen. It's not like he's going to be pulling out a magnifying glass, right?

DAVE SIM: Which means looking at a lot of it under the magnifier lamp...

JEN (INTERNAL MONOLOGUE): Don't say the jewelers loupe, don't say the jewelers loupe!

DAVE SIM: and also jewelers loupe.

JEN (INTERNAL MONOLOGUE): D'oh! Does Philip know about this? I really hope Philip knows about this. 

DAVE SIM: I'm really, really looking forward to that because I think what it's going to end up being is serialized and at some point collected into a 354-page book where this is Dave Sim's mockups...

JEN (INTERNAL MONOLOGUE): Wow. I hope Alfonso knows about that.

DAVE SIM: ... and I will write an introduction for it.

JEN (INTERNAL MONOLOGUE): Don't screw this up, Frey. Don't screw this up. Now, what the hell am I going to say in Tuesday's update?

Awkward segue to...

Jen's Non-Stressful Giant-Sized Ashcan(s) Update
 
No pressure! No pressure!

Work continues on #0 -- the restored version is halfway done as of this weekend. Then Remastered #0, then cleanup on #1, restored and remastered, then print, review -- and hopefully get into Dave's hands.

PHEW! Now back to where I was originally planning to start the update with...

AMOC: Decision Emo 2023 Results

LOTS of comments, lots of pageviews, lots of votes, lots of ballot stuffing, meaning the final tabulated results are:

Puncheminnaface: 34 votes
Drop it:                      2 votes

Manly, I can ignore the voice of the people, hence, the next section, I am dubbing:

Vox Populi: The Return of SDOAR 2023

    Now where did I put that other quote? Oh, here it is. 

    "SDoAR is some great stuff, the artwork is just amazing! And if you're curious about photorealistic comics guys, this is for you."  - Margaret Liss, GoFundMe Donor

    Way to go, Margaret!

    Looking to receive your own piece of production art? Simply donate enough to unlock the next page (every $200) and we'll get Dave to take care of you! Just remember to confirm if you want it signed, personalized, any recommended personalization, and Bob's your uncle! 

    If you want something super special, like the Emo Manly that Manly prematurely absconded with, please reach out to me at jen@typingmonkeys.com and we'll see what sort of donation Dave might have in mind.

    SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe -->> https://www.gofundme.com/f/sdoar-2023 <<-- SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe

    Just the Facts, Ma'am, a.k.a. The SDOAR Toteboard
    • No new pages unlocked since last week
    • $6,095.00 raised from 108 donations (plus $62.08 outside of GoFundMe).
    • 34 new pages released as mocked up by Dave Sim from Jun. 11 to Sep. 6, 2021
    • 55 total pages available on Dropbox, including Dave's 2019 mocked-up pages
    • Only $105.00 away from unlocking page 56
    • If you have not donated >> $5+ donation grants access to all 55 pages and all pages moving forward! 
    • If you have donated (thanks!!) >> GoFundMe does not have an option for monthly subscriptions. So... if you want to donate on a monthly basis, please do so as we are in the first weeks of month #6.
    • GoFundMe is a dreadful communication platform -- if you haven't heard back from me, gotten access to the new pages, etc., please email me at jen@typingmonkeys.com
    SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe -->> https://www.gofundme.com/f/sdoar-2023
     
    How Low Can She Go? Cerebus #11, 12, 13!
     
    Next up on the block are Cerebus issues #11, 12 and #13. Good clean duplicate copies I bought as a collection -- never opened by me! 
    Make me an offer for all three -- or any individual issues you might be missing from this week or a previous week -- and I'll donate the proceeds to the SDOAR GoFundMe campaign!

    If you are interested, you should know the drill by now -- email me at jen@typingmonkeys.com and I'll get you sorted!

    SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe -->> https://www.gofundme.com/f/sdoar-2023 <<-- SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe

    Just the FAQs, Ma'am

    Lee Thacker writes, "Having just downloaded the TSDOAR Dropbox mock-up pages and, with Carson G dropping out, I was wondering if Dave would consider me as a possible illustrator? I contributed to the 'try-out' pages back in the day. Now that I'm retired, I have all the time in the world to give these pages a go..."

    To which Jen responds with, "Hey Lee! I have a few thoughts here. 1) Care to share your try-out pages with me? 2) Maybe even allow me to share them with everyone at AMOC for next week? 3) Still want to proceed what with Dave's sun-and-the-moon-and-the-stars plans to circle back around and do all the mocked up pages if he lives that long?

    Phew!!! That's a lot she wrote!

    Jen
    ___________________________________________________

    "Wait. A DOLLAR?!?"

    Well, not really.

    It was a Canadian dollar, so like seventy-five cents.

    "MOTHER #%&*ER!!! HOW?!? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!?"

    Okay, he didn't ACTUALLY only pay a dollar (or it's devalued Canadian equivalent.) He paid somewhere in the neighborhood of eighty bucks.

    "How?!?"

    See, Dave made up these Auction catalogs, and sent them out to everybody who bought a Remarqued The Last Day.

    But I didn't get one.

    So I dunno when what is supposed to be auctioned.

    But the fellas, like Zipper, who DID get them, know what's supposed to be happening.

    And we get this.

    The Good News is I have scans of all the Auction items. The Bad News is I still don't know what's supposed to be auctioned when.

    But we gonna find out on Thursday!

    Anyway:

    5 comments:

    crazyyears said...

    I bid $111.
    Canadian? Dunno
    U.S.? Dunno.
    On what? Dunno.
    Figure it out and let me know.

    --- Michael Hunt

    Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

    Michael,

    I mean, I can sell you all sorts of stuff...

    But, like, ya want a panoramic Remarqued The Last Day?

    Manly

    crazyyears said...

    Manly,

    Huh.
    I just wondered what would happen If I bid as nonsensicaly as Dave is having you auction.
    Now I know.
    A panoramic remarqued Last Day would do just fine, thank you.
    Who's palm do I grease?

    --- Michael Hunt



    Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

    Well, the next auction starts the 8th. If you wanna "800 pound gorilla" it, and just throw $111 at it before it starts, I won't stop ya.

    If you wanna just throw $111 at a cover to be shown later, I can do that to.

    If you want the cover I drew, sold.

    Manly
    (Ya gots the options is what I'm saying.)

    crazyyears said...

    Manly,

    Options are appreciated.
    I'll have the panoramic, please.
    Just to make things more fun, if it shows up with a quick and simple Lord Julius saying, "Mistakes were made," on the inside cover, then I'll slap down another $111.
    The honor system.

    --- Michael Hunt