Saturday 10 December 2016

$20,158 @ 10:33 am! THANK YOU THANK YOU!

If Sean is reading this, something I keep meaning to ask: can you list the ART DRAGNET pages for CEREBUS Volume One that will be new to this printing?

There was a bit of a surge there, which I think might have been attributable to CEREBUS IN HELL #0 hitting the stores with the AMOC plug on the inside back cover.

I can relate to the "fan anguish" that causes.  I always try to relate it to Alex Raymond's RIP KIRBY.  Would I buy a new printing of IDW's RIP KIRBY books if I knew there were high quality restored scans of newly rediscovered originals included?  I'd say, yes, speaking as someone with virtually no disposable income, since that's basically what I did with the Ron Goulart book:  there were maybe five RIP KIRBY strips in there that I didn't have high resolution restored scans for but -- $70 Canadian for five new strips?  I'm in.

I'd probably try and think of someone I could give my old copy to who might get hooked.

6 comments:

Travis Pelkie said...

Perhaps either donate to a library or a comic shop that would promise to lend it out to people who might be interested, rather than just re-selling it?

Wait, I'm not sure, was this hypothetical, or did you get a new copy?

But yeah, in general terms, those 2 things would be possibilities as to "re-gifting" a book like Rip Kirby or Cerebus, I'd say.

Travis Pelkie said...

Another thing, just sent an email to Rich at Bleeding Cool in case he wanted to feature the Kickstarter. I mentioned they were the cunty-cunt pages, so hopefully he can get some click bait that way.

And I did mention the Kickstarter again at the piece you can get to if you click on my name. Just a small mention at the end of a column about other stuff completely, for what it's worth.

Travis Pelkie said...

Unfortunately Rich isn't able to post anything today. I knew I should have sent him something earlier!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Travis! As always, we all appreciate your help.

No, in the case of RIP KIRBY it's entirely theoretical so far as I know. That is, I think IDW just does another printing when they're sold out of a RIP KIRBY book because they don't have sufficient "velocity" to warrant devoting more time to them. I'm guessing that maybe 1 in 20 strips is shot from the original artwork in the RIP KIRBY printings that I have and I know from the Heritage Auction catalogues that a LOT of the originals 1) still exist 2) have been scanned and 3) are publicly available from HA.com. But IDW is a business. They have to prioritize their time as we all do for whatever is going to pull the most weight in keeping them going. RIP KIRBY really isn't in that category, I don't think.

I'm still amazed that all of Raymond's RIP KIRBY is in print in English. For years, all I had were Spanish reprints.

Sean R said...

Hey Dave,

Excellent idea! Will do for this week's restoration update.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sean!