Saturday 10 December 2016

$21,038 @ 2:04 pm MANY MANY THANKS!

This also ties in with the still-at-the-theoretical-stage idea of me going back out in public (300-and-change signatures left to go!).  Two of the conventions on the STUDIO COMIX list that I've posted are offering to pay a substantial (as in "this will buy a fair amount of 'Sean Time' restoring scans) appearance fee for me to attend their shows.

With colour printers getting sharper and smaller and (most importantly) cheaper, at what point does it make sense to have a colour printer at a convention to print colour photos of "photo ops":  your picture with Dave Sim for X$ that we print out on high quality paper "on site" and that I can then personalize "on site"? That is, we select a paper that does a top-quality photograph AND is will take a thin Sharpie and dry quickly.

 

5 comments:

Jeff Seiler said...

I would say the photo-op idea is a good one. My one caveat would be: Avoid doing anything that could possibly come off as appearing "desperate for money". You've got a tall, pointy hat, son. Status! Don't diminish that.

Maybe, since you've been gone for so long, go to a couple of cons "under the radar" and see what, if anything, has changed in "how things are done". For one thing, cosplay is yuuuge (to quote a certain POTUS-elect).

Say, maybe you could get a Sailor Moon costume and...no, no,...you'd have to shave your legs.

Again, just thinking out loud here.

Greg Kessler said...

I haven't gone to a comic convention in years... Dave Sim being at one that was reasonably nearby might be the only thing I can imagine that would get me to go back...

Unknown said...

Jeff - Actually, it would be "all about" the appearance fee. If I get there and no one wants anything signed -- I just sit and stare off into the middle distance for a couple of days -- I'm cool with that. Without an appearance fee, I'd be better off just staying home and doing my RIP KIRBY Commentaries and mapping the rest of THE STRANGE DEATH OF ALEX RAYMOND. My reaction was "HOW much?" For THAT much I can definitely see my way clear to missing a couple of days of REAL work.

But that instantly implied "I have to cap this". Even for that much money, I don't want to lose much more than three or four Friday-Saturday work days a year. "Tick tick tick, grandpa!"

Greg - I appreciate the compliment a great deal. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Because of my "turning into a pumpkin at midnight on Saturday" Sabbath observance, I've been trying to figure out how to give conventions two full days of my time (especially for the money that they're offering) and I was thinking it would be interesting -- given that most three-day shows don't actually start until late afternoon on Friday that instead I would start my convention attendance off in the hotel coffee shop or restaurant EARLY on Friday and then move to the ballroom when the convention actually opens.

Jeff Seiler said...

Plus, given that at least a few of the SPACERS bunch (The SPACED-out Lunch Bunch?) would be very likely to show up, we could reprise (or, tweak) *that* format.

Minus the German food and polka music, that is...