Saturday 10 December 2016

$21,058 @ 2:28 pm

Funny story (I think).  Diamond cheque came in the other day and I went, "Okay, time to cut Gerhard a cheque".  He gets a "courtesy royalty" of 4% on anything he worked on that Diamond has purchased and that's always the FIRST thing I do with any Diamond cheque.

So, I flipped through the invoices to see which book it was and "Oh, HEY! This one's for CEREBUS IN HELL? #0!".  Which was funny because I hadn't been thinking of paying myself or Sandeep for CEREBUS IN HELL? #0 -- we both consider CEREBUS IN HELL?  "Hey, if this helps keep the lights on and the doors open" revenue.  And then I thought, "Well, heck!  I think I'm going to pay US a courtesy royalty!"  So, I did.  4% of the Diamond cheque for each of us.

We were both pretty jazzed -- Sandeep because (as far as he knows) it's the first time he's been paid for his writing and me because it meant I didn't have to use A-V money to pay myself this month.

4%!  Just like Gerhard!

5 comments:

Jeff Seiler said...

Canadian Cartoonist Parity!

It's a good thing!

Sandeep Atwal said...

First time I've been paid for writing a comic, that's for sure! Now I just need Diamond to spell my name right!!!

Unknown said...

"Atwal Sandeep" ISN'T right?

ATWAL! DUDE! I'm so sorry!

Unknown said...

Yes, we're all "tightening out belts" in the hopes that we can keep this Restoration Juggernaut rolling along. Like a prison sentence (I've heard) best not to think of "when you get out": just "do your time."

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

I've just been browsing through the campaign here, and I think this is the best news: that the sales are good enough to justify royalties (even "courtesy royalties"), and that you guys would take them. Creators should be compensated for their work.

-- Damian