Monday 13 July 2020

An Audio/Visual Moment of Cerebus: "If it's NOT the original cover art to issue #80, WHAT THE HECK IS IT?!?"

Hi, Everybody!

Heritage has glamourpuss/The Strange Death of Alex Raymond Art by Dave.

Cerebus in Hell:
For Order: Batvark PENIS! and the "Censored for Grandma" variant: Batvark XXXXX   
Signed copies of Vark Wars: Walt's Empire Strikes Back (Signed by Dave, Signed by Dave and me, Signed by me after I scribble out Dave's name, however you want...)
And coming to stores the end of this month: Attractive Cousins

Hey, it's Monday:


Okay, it's Not what it looks like:
"Then what the HECK IS IT MATT?!?"

Well, I'll let AMOC Special Friend of the Day: Steve Swenson
Suitable for framing
explain it. 

And now from the ACTUAL AMOC Cave (located below Stately Dow Manor) An Audio/Visual Moment of Cerebus: "If it's NOT the original cover art to issue #80, WHAT THE HECK IS IT?!?":


Okay, if you dinna wanna watch that crap, you can get it as a podcast, or on Spotify, or PocketCasts. Future Please Hold For Dave Sims will be available like this too (Supposedly they publish to Spotify, Apple, and other platforms. I dunno, I just record this stuff.) (And I recorded an ad for them, because I can conceivably get paid for them.)

If you want to hear more of me talking to other Cerebus Fans, sound off in the comments, and I'll see if I can find another schmuc...um, I mean, Fan who wants to talk.

ANNNND for the "cool kids" hanging out behind the gym smokin' smokes, instead of coming down to the A/V A/V club:

Steve Swenson emailed me:
Sir Matt -

So, I have something I'd like to send you (Cerebus related, of course), please be so kind as to email your address.

Steve Swenson
So I sent it to him, and then a package arrived and when I opened it I said: "That CAN'T be what it looks like!" So I emailed Steve, and (because this gig has all sorts of perks) Gerhard. And Gerhard responded first:
Hi Matt,

You're right, it's not.
...well, it IS... but it's a copy of Dave's part before I did my part.

I was contacted about it recently:

Hello Gerhard -

So, I bought this off eBay recently, and after asking Brian Coppola if he'd ever seen anything like it (he hadn't), and at his suggestion, I'm asking you if it looks familiar.

Brian thought maybe a print of Dave's art would be made for you to work off of, before committing your art to the original art board.

Any thoughts?

As for the 'signature', Brian's guess was "If that's Dave's, he signed with his feet".

Thanks!

Steve

***
Hi Steve,

Hmmm...

The colour of the paper is very odd.
If it's a photocopy, I don't know why the paper would look like that.
I've got copies from back then that still look white.

I used to make copies for a number of reasons and purposes.
Can't exactly say what the purpose of this one would have been.
It may have been as a "backup" in case I ruined the original while I did the backgrounds and colour.
It may have been used just as a "place holder" so that Dave wouldn't have a blank spot on the wall while I worked on the original.

That signature definitely does not look like Dave's to me.

Sorry I can't be more help.
But, really... autumn of 1985... hmmm... let's see...
...nope...
gone.

Now, where did I put my glasses?
***crunch***
oh, there they are.
-G
***
Thanks, about what I was expecting - that you'd make copies, so my guess this is one of those copies that 'made it into the wild'.

I neglected to mention: prior owner had it mounted to a foam board and must've been exposed to direct light over the years.

Thanks for the memories!

Steve

***
I didn't realize it was mounted on foam board.
It's probably the glue that turned the paper that colour.

Best wishes to y'all at AMOC,

Ger
So THAT'S what it is. A photocopy of Dave's part to the cover of #80, that Gerhard had made that "got loose" (My personal speculation (that I haven't checked yet,) is that this might be from when Dave and Ger were living in Hawaii, and it may have been given away to somebody (remembering that any extra stuff like this was looked on as "junk" and Dave and Ger would just toss it away (like the tracing paper drawings... or the second batch of negatives for the first three phonebooks,) and that somebody mounted it on foamboard and hung it on a wall...).)

Thanks again Steve,

And Thanks as always to Gerhard,

And AND, youse guys should really quit smoking, it stunts your growth. We got all sorts of neat stuff in the A/V A/V Club...

Next Time: I know I said I was gonna post more High Society, but Adam Beechen sent something to Dave, and Dave sent stuff back...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can someone add a comment explaining what it is, for those of us who can’t/don’t want to watch a YouTube video to find out?

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Sure,

When I get off of work tonight...

Manly Matt Dow

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I, too, was left confused by this post.

Glen said...

I was going to suggest a regular weekly podcast with Dave awhile back.


Great idea.


I think many fans of Cerebus/Dave would like more clarity on the SDOAR book cancellation in a future podcast. I still don't know what happened. Going through 14 separate YouTube videos is not how I want to spend an afternoon.

Brian West said...

Matt, thank you for this tweak. Look forward to hearing these interviews with Dave and other friends of the blog done your way. Count me as a loyal listener. Every good wish to you and Dave. - Brian West

Steve said...


You know, I was hardly listening to myself the FIRST time we talked, Matt, so I'm not so sure I'll listen to myself again.

But maybe, just because, you know, my 15 minutes of Cerebus fame...

Steve

Dean Reeves said...

A gentleman in Atlanta actually had the entire issue 80, pre Gerhard inking and tone application…just Dave’s artwork, as a set of black and white photocopies (and they were all clean and bright and in amazing shape).

I had talked to him back in 2015 about a couple of pages he was selling and I asked if he had anything else and he said he had the entire issue 80. I knew he was wrong because I had (and have) the Bran suicide page, so I ask him what he meant and he sent me a photo and it was interesting to see just Dave’s line-work. So I emailed Ger and he sent me this response: "I have no idea why we would have photocopied the pages before toning. We did a lot of strange things. I'm sure there was a good reason at the time. But that page I signed for you was definitely the original. I don't know what this other guy has.”

So I contacted the guy in Atlanta again and asked if he would sell and he hemmed and hawed and got back to me and said he decided he would keep the copies…and the artwork I had originally asked about. So not a good day.

Dean

Dean Reeves said...

And something that kept getting brought up in the video - I believe it was around Cerebus 95 that Dave and Ger went to Hawaii to get back on track, because around that time they were about 4 or 5 (or more) issues behind on their "issue-300-final-delivery-date" schedule.

Dean