Saturday 18 July 2020

An Audio Moment of Cerebus: Carson Grubaugh

Hi, Everybody!

Last week we found out what this was:

Well, in the comments, Dean Reeves said:
A gentleman in Atlanta actually had the entire issue 80, pre Gerhard inking and tone application…just Dave’s artwork, as a set of black and white photocopies (and they were all clean and bright and in amazing shape).

I had talked to him back in 2015 about a couple of pages he was selling and I asked if he had anything else and he said he had the entire issue 80. I knew he was wrong because I had (and have) the Bran suicide page, so I ask him what he meant and he sent me a photo and it was interesting to see just Dave’s line-work. So I emailed Ger and he sent me this response: "I have no idea why we would have photocopied the pages before toning. We did a lot of strange things. I'm sure there was a good reason at the time. But that page I signed for you was definitely the original. I don't know what this other guy has.”

So I contacted the guy in Atlanta again and asked if he would sell and he hemmed and hawed and got back to me and said he decided he would keep the copies…and the artwork I had originally asked about. So not a good day.

Dean
And:
And something that kept getting brought up in the video - I believe it was around Cerebus 95 that Dave and Ger went to Hawaii to get back on track, because around that time they were about 4 or 5 (or more) issues behind on their "issue-300-final-delivery-date" schedule.

Dean
Which was so nice Dean gets to be AMOC Special Friend of the Day:
Suitable for framing...

Speaking of last week's Audio moment, you can listen to it all over the place:

And if you clicked any of those, you may have noticed that there's a SECOND episode, where I talk to Carson Grubaugh about You Don't Know Jack, The Strange Death of Alex Raymond, and other stuff...for three hours. (It was fun!)

Well, there's a part that had visual aids, so here's the three hour VIDEO version:
The part that's Visual starts at 02:11:00. 

And we discuss a possible stretch reward for the You Don't Know Jack Kickstarter, at one point, so if you're backing that, there's that to look for.

This was fun, and might be how the next Please Hold For Dave Sim happens. If you wanna be the next guinea pi...PARTICIPANT, lemme know...

And:
Heritage has glamourpuss/The Strange Death of Alex Raymond Art by Dave, and a sketch by Gerhard..

Cerebus in Hell?:
For Order: Batvark PENIS! and the "Censored for Grandma" variant: Batvark XXXXX (Final Order Cut-Off is coming up.)
Signed copies of Vark Wars: Walt's Empire Strikes Back (Signed by Dave, Signed by Dave and me, Signed by me after I scribble out Dave's name, Signed by my kids, however you want...)
In stores now: Attractive Cousins

Next Time: Oliver swings by to help you spend your afternoon surfing the tweeters, instogrammys, and faceybookees...

2 comments:

Michael R. said...

Hi Carson!
I'm at the 9:32 mark of your interview with Matt and I would definitely would want a digital copy of Dave's mock ups from YDKJ. Please add a tier or add it as a pledge goal.
Michael
OK back to the interview.

Sean R said...

As I said to you via email, Ger and Dave drew this issue and the next in Gainesville, and I'm sure the photocopy oddity has something to do with that. Maybe Dave photocopied them before they travelled? Or moved hotels? Or was being extra cautious because they were on different art boards than normal? Who knows?
I would LOVE to have scans of this issue sans Gerhard! Would be an amazing document of their process.