Friday 7 April 2023

Dave's Weekly Update: The Last Void

Hi, Everybody!

Dave's Weekly Update:
Well, there isn't a video.

And while I don't have an official fax, I do have faxes (yes, plural). And they are of a "Everybody NEEDS to know this!" nature, so here we go!

The Last Day is in stores and if you ordered a copy, now might be the time to pick it up.
shiny.
Um...but, ah. Don't...don't be shocked when you look at it.
Wait a minute...doesn't Diamond require a barcode?

Uh...what?
Yeeeeaaahhh...
Yeah...

"How? How the @#%& did that happen? How?!?"

Ahem:

How? Mistakes were made.

Anyway, all 1050 copies say "Form & Void" on the spine instead of "The Last Day". 

"What's being done?"

I'm just calling this printing "The Last Void". (Or "Form & Day"...)

"What's being done?!?"

Well:
But wait, there's MORE Update:

Well six of the people in the Cerebus Braintrust (my name.) have chimed in. The lowest end is $75CAD, and the highest is $202.81CAD (somebody did their math in American.)

"But Manly, you sexy hunk of Interim Editor you, what do these things look like?" you ask while playing with your hair and giving me a sultry, pouty look...

Listen, you can try seducing me all you want. I'm keeping mine. And no amount of, frankly, creepy flattery will convince me to try and get Dave to shift the pricing to the low end.

Anyway, they look like this:

Wait.

Like this (click for bigger):







So, look at 'em, and comment what you'd pay. (Understand, $49CAD is the cost. At that price Dave doesn't make a cent in profit. So lowball prices lead to Grandpa starving to death. Okay, that's dramatic. It'll lead to no work on SDOAR. And won't be taken seriously.)

After sending Dave a few prices from the Braintrust, he faxed:

The Braintrust started going up in our pricing after this. I hope we're thinking close to what Dave is thinking without getting into a BLT situation. (Basically the practical application of "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered". If we try to get more of your "lettuce", the smell of bacon fills the air, and you end up throwing tomatoes. Dave just needs a Goldilocks spot, "just right."

Anyway, more of this tomorrow during Please Hold For Dave Sim.
____________________________________
Heritage has things. Mostly comics this time.
____________________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________
Sean Robinson's Living the Line is Kickstartering the Trade of Abolition of Man.
____________________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________
Oliver's Cerebus movie: The Absurd, Surreal, Metaphysical, and Fractured Destiny of Cerebus the Aardvark it's currently available on "Plex", "Xumo", "Vimeo On Demand", "Tubi". If you're in Brazil..."Mometu", "Nuclear Home Video", "AND AN AARDVARK IN A PEAR TREE!!!" 
____________________________________
Up to 35% off site-wide:  
April 7-9 and April 26-30
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off 
__________________________________
Next Time: Please Hold For Dave Sim.

6 comments:

Paul Slade said...

Do the Last Day copies already in stores have the spine sticker Dave mentions already inserted in their pages? If not, how do I get hold of one?

I ask because I have a copy already on order from Page 45 here in the UK. If it's a question of spine correction stickers being sent out later, presumably they'll be distributed through Diamond and the shop itself?

Commiserations on the error. Disappointing as it is for we readers, I've no doubt Dave and Sean's pain is far greater than ours.

Leon said...

If my copy that just arrived from Forbidden Planet here in the UK is any indication then no.

I'll admit that it was a full half hour before I even noticed the error on the spine: "Wait, I could've sworn this isn't Form and Void..."

Despite the erroneous spine, it's a lovely printing. In particular the last few pages of issue 300 looked completely different to what I remember from the original comic. Great work as always by Sean.

Craig Johnson said...

Why is shipping listed twice - once as part of the sunk costs, and again as an add-on to the final price of sunk cost + profit for grandpa?

Bill Ritter said...

Paul and Leon describe what I think will be the more applicable scenario: how many of the DIA copies are hitting stores for preorders. Personally, I ordered a copy through my local shop, forgot I did that, ordered a 2nd through InStock, and now I have 2 copies.

So...how many AMOCers already have or will have the misprint? 50? 100?

How many of said AMOCers will buy an additional copy with remarque? Guess that's going to be the question...

For me...real quandary. I'm not inclined to stick things on books (even to correct) so the label is...argh. My quirks are now frustrated with the shelf appearance (times 2, so twice as bad). I'm also not inclined to go a 3rd copy. Probably best to put in a box (to appease the completist in me) and wait on the ReMastered Redone correction edition.

Regardless, do feel bad for the publishing folks on this...really sucks.

Bill Ritter said...

Oh...most importantly...

The remastering looks incredible! Every page looks amazing.

VERY NICE!

Pau Slade said...

Assuming I ever get one of the spine stickers (which seems far from certain), I think I'll slip it between the pages of the book for safekeeping rather than applying it to the spine, then stack the book at the end of my row of remastered volumes where TLD belongs.