Tuesday 18 April 2023

SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe #16: What If It Weren't an Ashcan?

 "Dave Sim is a master at his craft of comic story telling. This is one tale I can't wait to see completed."  

- Margaret Liss, GoFundMe Supporter

Margaret Liss? Now why does that name ring a bell? Anyhoo, let's see what Emo Dave's up to this week!
Well, to be fair, I did just run out of Nespresso pods.

Jen's Non-Stressful Ashcan(s) Update

Once again, Emo Dave is stealing all my thunder. Philip R. Frey has been a beast knocking through covers, page templates and digital cleanup. Contrary to what Emo Dave said, I'm almost done with all of my pages as well. Looks like the first three Emo Dave strips will make it into issue #0 -- and maybe, just maybe, I'll see if I can fit the next four into issue #1.

I really can't wait to get all the files over to Alfonso to see what this looks like as a printer's proof. I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised at how nice these are going to look. So much so, that I may end up retiring the "A" word.

Which actually begs the question. If not an ashcan, then what should we be calling these?

SDOAR GoFundMe Tote Board

Since the tote board didn't make it into this week's strip (again), let's get an up-to-the-minute SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe campaign update:
  • $4,620.00 raised from 88 donations (plus $62.08 outside of GoFundMe).
  • 27 new pages released as mocked up by Dave Sim from June 11 to August 21, 2021
  • 48 total pages available on Dropbox, including Dave's 2019 mocked-up pages
  • Only $180.00 away from unlocking page 49
Just the FAQs, Ma'am
    Literate Engineer was most unhappy with our OCD judges, stating, "OCD judges stink! Go back to Jeopardy, jerks. I’ve never read Kafka’s play, only the film. I was just trying to provide a little more detail than just 'The Trial'."

    [Editor's Note: I just don't have the heart to tell him "The Trial" wasn't a play, but a novel, one of only two Kafka ever completed ("The Castle" was unfinished and publish posthumously).]

    Jen (no relation) took Literate Engineer's side, adding, "They [the judges] totally suck. That'll teach you to be all educated."

    Tony Dunlop countered with, "Welles' 'The Trial' isn't Kafka's 'The Trial,' just like Gilliam's 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' isn't Thompson's 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.' Gotta agree with the judges on this one."

    While Robert Brian L. West tweeted, "Jen DiGiacomo gives an update and some cool Orson Welles trivia."

    Finally, Anonymous asked, "For clarification, and in hopes it will spur participation: Anyone who donates $200 will receive the unlocked original art page, autographed by Dave?"

    Good question. I forgot to ask Dave what the threshold would be for an original art page. So far those have been reserved for the really significant donations of $500 or more. That said, Dave does make sure that every major donor is happy with their reward. More on that, if I remember, next week.

    Just the Facts, Ma'am
    • If you have not donated >> $5+ donation grants access to all 48 pages and all pages moving forward! 
    • If you have donated (thanks!!) >> GoFundMe does not have an option for monthly subscriptions. So... if you want to donate on a monthly basis, please do so as we are in the midst of month #4.
    • GoFundMe is a dreadful communication platform -- if you haven't heard back from me, gotten access to the new pages, etc., please email me at jen@typingmonkeys.com
    SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe -->> https://gofund.me/4e2e1c96 <<-- SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe
     
    Just the Fax, Ma'am

    Wait? Dave is offering up sketches now? Seriously?

    Let me put it this way -- if you want Dave to sketch something specific for you, I'll fax Dave and see what donation amount moves him. Deal? 

    That said, if you unlock your own page (at every $200 increment), Dave will send you something to lord over all the other Cerebus/Dave Sim/SDOAR fans in the crowd. Like this. 


    SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe -->> https://gofund.me/4e2e1c96 <<-- SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe

    *NEW* Cerebus Pledge Items!

    Another week, another batch of pledge items. This time we have ten issues of Cerebus -- issues #30, #31, #32, #33, #34, #35, #36, #37, #38, #39. All very clean copies I purchased as a larger set so all are bagged and unopened by me.

    Missing one of them? Missing all of them? Looking to upgrade your copy? I'm here to make a deal at Crazy Jennie's -- where the prices are insane!

    Seriously, give me a shout -- make me an offer! All proceeds go the GoFundMe campaign!
    Email Jen at jen@typingmonkeys.com and make me an offer that I can't refuse.

    SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe -->> https://gofund.me/4e2e1c96 <<-- SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe

    That's all she wrote, folks!

    Jen 

    5 comments:

    Michael R. said...

    Hi Jen!
    How 'bout calling the the ashcans, "GIANT-SIZED Ashcans: Actually the size of a regular comic book" ...because they'll never be the size of the ashcan.
    Michael R

    Jen said...

    HA! I like it!

    Tony Dunlop said...

    Here's a bit o' synchronicity: If you're in the Twin Cities area this weekend, check it out.

    Jen said...

    It's showing in NYC as well -- I might go see it next week! I'm quite biased being a Kafka fan *and* a Welles. And Anthony Perkins is quite good as Joseph K!

    Tony again said...

    Ah - a nationwide re-release. I should've guessed. Anyway, go see it! I'm gonna!