Tuesday 11 April 2023

SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe #15: Ashcans, Emo Dave & Cerebus, Oh My!

 "I believe in Dave's artistic vision."  

- Jon Marvin, GoFundMe Supporter

As do we all, Jon. As do we all. Speaking of Dave, let's see how Emo Dave is doing!
Jen's Non-Stressful Ashcan(s) Update

Well, Emo Dave took all the wind out of my update! But it's true! I'm hoping to get out of bed by the end of week! Fingers crossed!

Philip R. Frey is doing some amazing work on the mockups -- and we'll see how much cleanup Dave is on board with. I'm banging away on the covers, inside front covers, and back covers. The inside back covers, for those curious, are still on the back burner. Stupid inside back covers.

I should clarify one detail. Our intent is to publish a slick, finished comic book, *not* an ashcan. The final decision on that is not in my hands, but the hope is that by presenting Dave with two finished options (one with cleaned up mockups and the other with restored art), we'll have something really nice to offer donors.

SDOAR GoFundMe Tote Board

Since the tote board didn't make it into this week's strip (again), let's get an up-to-the-minute SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe campaign update:
  • $4,485.00 raised from 81 donations (plus $30.91 outside of GoFundMe).
  • 26 new pages released as mocked up by Dave Sim from June 11 to August 20, 2021
  • 47 total pages available on Dropbox, including Dave's 2019 mocked-up pages
  • Only $115.00 away from unlocking fantastic page 48
Just the FAQs, Ma'am
    Michael R asks, "Hi Jen! Do you think Dave would consider writing an introduction?"

    I've faxed Dave about this. He is mulling over adding a few lines, but I'm going to wait until he has the proofs in hand before asking again. Maybe he can do something with that stupid inside back cover.

    Last week, Jen said, "Hey! I am NOT curled up in a ball. I would put the shape at more ovular. Bonus point for anyone who gets that reference." To which the Literate Engineer responded, "Ovular is from Kafka’s 'The Trial'.What do I win?"

    SO close. So very, very close, but the judges had to disallow your answer on a technicality. Ovular is from The Trial, but it's from the 1962 film version by Orson Welles, and that little bit of dialogue was actually written by Orson Welles, and not Franz Kafka. 

    Gotta love those OCD judges!

    Just the Facts, Ma'am
    • If you have not donated >> $5+ donation grants access to all 47 pages and all pages moving forward! 
    • If you have donated (thanks!!) >> GoFundMe does not have an option for monthly subscriptions. So... if you want to donate on a monthly basis, please do so as we are in the midst of month #4.
    • GoFundMe is a dreadful communication platform -- if you haven't heard back from me, gotten access to the new pages, etc., please email me at jen@typingmonkeys.com
    SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe -->> https://gofund.me/4e2e1c96 <<-- SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe
     
    Just the Fax, Ma'am

    A very kind, very generous, and very anonymous donor pushed us over the top to ensure we can produce the aforementioned ashcans. Below is the piece of production art they received as thanks from Dave. Still jealous? Unlock your own page (at every $200 increment) and Dave will send you something to lord over all the other Cerebus/Dave Sim/SDOAR fans in the crowd.
    SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe -->> https://gofund.me/4e2e1c96 <<-- SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe

    New Pledge Items!

    Another week, another batch of pledge items. This time we have seven issues of Cerebus -- issues #41, #42, #43, #44, #45, #46 (two copies), and #47. All very clean copies.

    Missing one of them? Missing all of them? Looking to upgrade your copy? I'm here to make a deal at Crazy Jennie's -- where the prices are insane!

    Seriously, give me a shout -- make me an offer! All proceeds go the GoFundMe campaign!
    Email Jen at jen@typingmonkeys.com and make me an offer that I can't refuse.

    SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe -->> https://gofund.me/4e2e1c96 <<-- SDOAR 2023 GoFundMe

    That's all she wrote, folks!

    Jen 

    4 comments:

    The Literate Engineer said...

    OCD judges stink! Go back to Jeopardy, jerks.

    I’ve never read Kafka’s play, only the film. I was just trying to provide a little more detail than just “The Trial”.

    Jen said...

    They totally suck. That'll teach you to be all educated.

    Anonymous said...

    For clarification, and in hopes it will spur participation:

    Anyone who donates $200 will receive the unlocked original art page, autographed by Dave?

    Tony Dunlop said...

    Welles' "The Trial" isn't Kafka's "The Trial," just like Gilliam's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" isn't Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." Gotta agree with the judges on this one.